Leo returns to Lesotho and Bloem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Mid Life crisis is that period in life when woman develop menopause and hot flushes while men buy sports cars and starts dating 21 year old women once divorced  :eek: My mid life crisis however causes me to take a look at a map and see all those weird and wonderful places that I have never visited, or would like to re-visit.

Excalibur had been threatening for some time to go and show us the Van Collier pass near Alldays, and with the riding day courtesy of our government on 9 Aug, it was decided we would take leave for the Friday and have an extended long weekend where we could ride to this spot to check it out. Then about 2 weeks ago our plans changed dramatically as I received an invitation to attend a night shooting exercise at 1 SA Tank Regiment, a unit of which I was a former commander, which was held on Friday night at De Brug training grounds outside Bloem. I asked Excalibur if he would mind if we changed our plans, but neither he nor any of the other guys who were going to join us on the Alldays trip had any complaints, so that was it. We were going to Bloem.
Seeing that we had four days, though, I decided lets go up Sani, ride through Lesotho  and eventually end up in Bloem for a major pissup with the soldiers. A quick call here, an e-mail there and all was set for a trip to Bloem via Lesotho. Excalibur had a last minute change of plan, and Andre also could not make it, so in the end our group consisted of Zonkelnut, Ama Ride Ride, Antonie, Stef (How far till the tar roads begin?) and myself.

We met at Shell Ultra city on Thursday morning, and by 8 we were well on our way towards Sanitop.

Lesotho.jpg

Lesotho1.jpg

Seeing that we had about 600 kmâ??s to cover for the day, we decided to stick to the black stuff till about Mooiriver, where we would take the road less travelled and eventually arrive at Sani. The N3 was quite busy, with all the major petrol stops buzzing and the Engen in Harrismith running out of fuel with some guys not able to fill their bikes.

Next generation soft luggage for a Harley dangerousâ?¦.

Lesotho4.jpg

Lunch in Harrismith

Lesotho5.jpg

Lesotho6.jpg

Office for the day

Lesotho7.jpg

Lesotho8.jpg

We stopped in Warden for fuel seeing that most other places had no fuel. Really a one horse town.

Lesotho2.jpg

Nice church in Warned

Lesotho3.jpg

From there we headed towards Nottingham Road, where we had a quick beer before we tackled the dirt.

The local brew from Nottingham ���. Not quite my taste

Lesotho9.jpg

Antonie was so exited about the trip, he never removed the tags from his new jacketâ?¦

Lesotho10.jpg

The junction in Nottingham

Lesotho11.jpg

Lovely scenic road from Nottingham to Himevilleâ?¦

Lesotho13.jpg

Lesotho14.jpg

Lesotho15.jpg

A fuel stop in Himeville ensured that most of us could cross Lesotho without the need to refuel, and in no time we were heading towards the infamous Sani Pass.

Lesotho12.jpg

Well the rumours that theyâ??re planning on tarring Sani seems to be true as the road towards the Sani hotel was being prepared for the black stuff, but according to the locals this was still a long way from actually happening.

Lesotho16.jpg

Lesotho17.jpg

We arrived at the SA border post at 4.20pm, they closed at 4 pm, but a bottle of whisky later, courtesy of the Zonkmobile, we were let through and by 4.50pm we had our passports stamped at the Lesotho immigrations.

Lesotho18.jpg

Lesotho19.jpg

Lesotho20.jpg

Lesotho22.jpg

Lesotho23.jpg

Lesotho24.jpg

Lesotho25.jpg

Lesotho26.jpg

Stef (How far till the tar begins) had a slight off, but fortunately no serious damage.

Lesotho27.jpg

A few glueweins later and we were all talking the usual shit, but by 9 pm most of us had hit the sack as the dayâ??s long and exiting riding had taken itâ??s toll and we didnâ??t exactly have to ride around the block on Friday either, so instead of trying to be macho men we all hit the deck by 10 pm.

Lesotho28.jpg

Lovely home cooked meals are served â?? R75 well spend

Lesotho29.jpg

Lesotho30.jpg

Lesotho31.jpg

ARR and Stef were not holding back in the snoring department, so I opted to sleep in the lounge in front of the fireplace as my mattress had sprung a leak, and I needed to use the cushions of the benches to sleep on!

Friday morning we were up bright and early as I had asked the okes to be ready to leave by 8 am, so after a lovely breakfast we hit the road to Mothlokong.

Lesotho32.jpg

Lesotho33.jpg

Lesotho34.jpg

Lesotho35.jpg

Lesotho36.jpg

Lesotho37.jpg

By 9.10 am we were at the turnoff towards Thaba Tseka, all in high spirits, as we were slightly up on our calculated travelling time.

Lesotho38.jpg

Lesotho39.jpg

From here on things went a little pear shaped, as the road was being prepared for tarring and in several places we had to stop while a massive 6 wheeler was being loaded by a one arm bandit, or they had just blasted the rock formation and we had to wait for the bulldozers to clear the way.

Lesotho40.jpg

Lesotho41.jpg

Lesotho42.jpg

Lesotho43.jpg

Lesotho44.jpg

Lesotho45.jpg

I had originally hoped we could be in Maseru by 1 pm, but have to admit that Zonkel was absolutely right in prdicting there was no way we would get to Maseru by 1 pm.

Lesotho46.jpg

Lesotho47.jpg

Lesotho48.jpg

Lesotho49.jpg

Lesotho50.jpg

Lesotho51.jpg

Lesotho52.jpg

Lesotho53.jpg

Lesotho54.jpg

Fuel stop in Thaba Tseka

Lesotho55.jpg

Shebeen stop â?? same town

Lesotho56.jpg

Lesotho57.jpg

Lesotho58.jpg

Lesotho59.jpg

Local Pep Stores

Lesotho60.jpg

Downtown Thaba Tseka

Lesotho61.jpg

Certainly some of the most challenging roads I have travelled. Stefâ?¦â?¦ canâ??t believe you didnâ??t have an off on this section

Lesotho62.jpg

Lesotho63.jpg

Lesotho64.jpg

Lesotho65.jpg

Lesotho66.jpg

Lesotho67.jpg

Lesotho68.jpg

Lesotho69.jpg

Lesotho70.jpg

We eventually rolled over the border post back into SA at 5pm and had to make up for lost ground, as the proceeding in Bloem was starting at 6.

Lesotho74.jpg

Lesotho75.jpg

We rolled into the School of Armour by 6 and by 6.20 we had all taken a shower and were ready to rock and roll with old friends. Excalibur and Andre had ridden down on Friday afternoon, so the entire group was together for the party which was about to start in all earnesty. Being former members we were treated like royalty, and parked on the shooting range with a cooler box and some liquid refreshments throughout the demo. After several oohâ??s and aaaâ??s, lotsa pictures taken we rolled back to camp for some serious partying. Thanks to Antonie for braaiing, but the rest is a bit of a blur.

Lesotho78.jpg

Lesotho79.jpg

Saturday we rolled back to Gauteng via several â??fuelâ? stops

Lesotho80.jpg

and by 5 pm I was watching the Cheetahs thrashing the Bulls. Thanks to all who joined, I certainly had a ball, and Thank You God for bringing us all back safely!