Montagu / Kamanassie Rd. / Prince Alfred Pass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithk

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Firstly the correct thing to do is to Thank my wife for wanting to visit her Mom in George this w/end and I took the opportunity to ride these famous "historical" passes which is so rightly "bragged" about by the WD in this area.
I arrived in George on Thursday after having a trouble free trip towing my wheels in a loaned trailer.
DSC_0070.jpg

Oops ! you were not supposed to see the trailer.
I had arranged to meet LGF in George but he had not left me any contact details and had no idea as to how I was going to meet him but surpise he found me.
We arranged to to leave at 08:30 on Friday from Ebb&Flow in the Wilderness. With LGF leading the pack X2 we rode through the pass between Wilderness and George which is  stunning with quaint little bridges.
DSC_0035.jpg

Well we took the second turn off to the Montagu pass as advised and started our ascend of the great pass.
DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

With I might add had some interesting bridges as well.
DSC_0056.jpg

We had a short break at the top
DSC_0017.jpg

and then exited at Herold and turned onto the Kamanassie road towards Uniondale, after a short period LGF stopped,? I asked if I was riding too slow and he requested that I should switch on my high beam light so that he can see me through all the dust.YES I was eating HIS dust ALL the way ALL day.
We arrived in Uniondale LGF took me to the local pub eating house where all the "bikers" stop and we had a bite to eat and a quick one to "wet the whistle"
Off again for the best part of the day Prince Alfred pass and "Kom se Pad".Please dont ask as I did not take any pics of this section as it was running a bit short on time and all I can say that it is a must for all those who have not ridden this route.I actually showed LGF the shortest telephone pole in SA which is in the Prince Alfred Pass which he did not know about. It is still there but it is not in use any more thanks to microwave .
The ride through the Gouna forest was the highlight of the trip which we ended off with a quick "ale" at LGF super house.
A big thanks to Lets go Fishing for taking the time out of his very busy schedule to show a fellow WD around his back yard. 
I returned to the Montagu pass on Saturday to take some pics and I was lucky enough to meet Wit Olifant who is a newbie and he was with a group of X4 WD from Germany who were going to do the same route that we had done, after they rode off I realised I did not take a pic of them dof!
As this is my first report I hope I have attached the pics correctly ??(seems not) With the help of Trailrider I hope they are now correctly attached.

Attachments

• DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 156