1200GS vs. 1200GSA â?? The Ama review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ama ride ride

Grey Hound
Reaction score
When I first saw the new 12GSA my first impression was, â??Moer itâ??s a big bikeâ? But then I remembered that I said the same when I first saw an AT years ago.

I have ridden my fair share of different bikes in many different conditions so I do not stare myself blind against one single plus point or outstanding feature of any bike. I like to see a bike as a whole packet of sweets and not a single lollipop. Therefore the ranting about the dark side has little effect on me. I also do not need a bike to give onlookers the impression that I can, do and like to go on Dakar kind of adventure trips.

A bike will never adapt to your riding style. Itâ??s the rider that must adapt. A bike will never make you a better rider but it can boost your confidence or give you a false sense of being god. Good or bad? Up to you.

Today I own my GSA for a week and already clocked nearly 2000km of mixed riding which includes Sani Pass and a traverse through Lesotho.

33L vs. 20L
It really does make a difference knowing that you can go up to 650km on a tank and therefore itâ??s no need too baby the throttle if you want at least 450km.

Wind protection
Its really good and also the protection from cross winds. Those silly looking winglets next to the screen works.

Shocks
I am not sure whatâ??s the biggest difference here but the few cm of additional travel and ground clearance makes a fairly difference. I did not yet found the perfect settings for my riding style. Where the GS will knock the GSA on a twisty tar mountain pass the latter makes up for when the going gets tough. I would like that BMW must improve the shocks to handle the more rough patches like the big KTMâ??s does. But than again changing lines instead of barging through ruts will also make things easier. And your pillion will be happy.

Trip computer
Yes itâ??s nice to have this bells and whistles and the info, like range left in tank, is a must have luxury for long trips.

Switching off ABS
Where one had to switch the 12GS off to deactivate the ABS one now merely stops and press the button. I like it.

WeightThe additional weight of the GSA on the front wheel makes for a slight change in riding style. For example where I would have bunny hopped over obstacles by using only the throttle and shocks I now use more throttle and the clutch to make the front lighter. However with only about 6L of fuel left in the tank by using only the throttle I popped a short wheelie. Think it has something to do with the rebound of the front shock.

Servo assisted brakes
Canâ??t make up my mind here

The 12GSA is IMO currently the only bike on the market that can carry you, your pillion and camping stuff with so much comfort that you do not want or have too stop. And still have the off road ability to tackle nearly everything thrown at it. With comfort I mean wind protection, seat, ergonomics, pillion comfort and enough power to stay at 180km/h and get that boring 300km stretch over sooner.

Jezt Ama speaking his o'l mind :p