Trip to the North

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyPorra

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Ok, one week before the woman's day long weekend and I decide to phone a few places in Mozambique for a camping spot, to my supprise I get the same answer from the places, " Sorry Sir we have been booked up for the last 6 months ".

Sat back and decided that if the whole of Gauteng and Mpumalanga provice where going to be in Moz I was going to take my chances and go ride the North west and Limpopo provinces.

So its Thursday morning and 07:00 I leave home in a westerly direction towards Zeerust. Rode all the way to Hekpoort along the black stuff, got onto the dirt to ride through Magaliesburg nature reserve to just before Koster. Filled up in Koster and was back on the dirt towards Groot Marico where I stopped to restock my dwiddling stock of Honey Flavoured Manpoer, but they where out of stock. Back on the dirt I started moving north, past the Riekertsdam and on towards the R49, crossed it and moved onto Sikwane where I then turned east and headed for Madikwe, Dwaalboom and finally Thabazimbi.

The next morning was up early and decided to change my back tyre for the new one that I had brought along, hour and half later, tyre was replaced and campsite packed up. On my way again I proceeded Northwest towards the Limpopo River along the Krokodil Rivier, once at the Limpopo I carried on Northbound along the river until I reached the border post at Stockpoort, from here I headed down south towards Ellisras for lunch and then proceeded to Platjan Border Post for the evening. Just after Ellisras I got onto the dirt and for the first time I had to drop the pressures has I could not get the bike to behave at what ever speed. Finally I reached my destination and the friendly people at Platjan Lodge although already fully booked they still went out of their way to find me a bed for the evening. What a day of riding I had, +/- 500km's and maybe 40km's where done on tar.

Saturday Morning, back on my steed and headed of towards Musina, was expecting another day of riding lots of dirt roads, and just after Alldays I took a dirt road to Pontdrift Post and to my dissapointment I had to track back 36km's as someone decided to close a road to make way for a Private Game Farm, and this became the morm from here on, and I found myself getting very frustrated, always having to change my intended route. Rode to Musina on a mixture of dirt and tar, and then made my way to Magoebaskloof where I could not find an overnight spot and decided that I will try and make it home, I still had 3 hours of sunlight left.

To summarize the weekend, One word "GREAT". Did 2090Km's where I did in excess of 1300Km's on dirt and the rest on tar, met some very accomodating and helpful people, kind of took me back to the days that I spent at boarding school in the Waterburg Area where you could always count on the freindliness and assistence of the farmers in the area.

Only one suggestion, they should change the Limpopo Province to the Game Lodge Province.

Enjoy the photos