2007 GS Challenge - Insurance issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FortyZA

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I have just learned that many insurance house's like BikeSure, Outsurance, and some others have made a decision that people who attend the 2007 GS Challenge are not going to be covered for the event.  I am at this point very concerned because one does not go to such an event so that you can stuff your bike up so much that you cannot ride it home again.

It seems that over the years the amount of claims have forced them to exclude these type of events.  This brings a new look to insurance companies. They want to take your money every month but don't want to take the risk. 

I have done 2 GS Challenges, 2005 Red Route and 2006 Green Route, Koakoland and Damaraland and have not put in a claim to date.  Now they decide they do not cover DS type events.  What makes a trip to Namibia or Tanzania any different to the GS Challenge, only that there is more riders but the terrain is still the same. This leaves a very sour taste in my mouth at the moment and will cause people to say they damaged their bike doing other things and will turn us DS riders to be underhanded.

I would suggest that if you are going to the GS Challenge, make sure your insurnace company will cover you for the event.