Customer Complaint and BMW's Response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweerhe

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Theres always two sides to a story :( / :)

https://www.bmwmotorrad.co.za/lifestyle/forum/default.asp

Customer Complaint and BMW's Response

I would like to express my experience that I am receiving from BMW. The support once you have purchased a bike from BMW is lacking in a big way. I dropped my bike 21/07/2007. I took my bike in for a quote 23/07/2007 only to receive the quote 26/07/2007. I submitted the quote to BMW insurance on the same day. I have followed up on the claim telephonically, sent emails (one email sent 3rd Aug. only opened 07th Aug.) and been in to see BMW Port Elizabeth. I have just been informed that BMW do not have parts in South Africa to fix my BMW1200 GS Adventure. How pathetic. BMW have advised that the parts should be in South Africa 21/08/2007. I just want to let other BMW riders know what type of back-up service they can expect from BMW SA.

Gavin Samuel  ([email protected])  (14-Aug-2007 12:44)

REPLY TO THIS TOPIC

Replies

* BMW's national aftersales manager Rob Holder replies:

BMW Motorrad would like to take this opportunity to respond to the allegations of bad service as stated by Mr Gavin Samuel. BMW Motorrad has investigated the case with the assistance of the BMW Motorrad dealer in Port Elizabeth - Continental cars with the following results.

1. The motorcycle was booked in for a quote on the 22/07/2007

2. Quote completed by Continental cars on the 22/07/2007, customer was then contacted the following day      by the technician to inform him that the quote was complete.

3. Customer requested the quote be faxed through to his email address.

4. Customer arrived at the dealer 2/3 days later advising the technician that his lap top had broken and could not retrieve the mail and requested a copy of the quote from the technician.

5. All insurance documents were subsequently signed by the customer on request of Continental cars and faxed through to BMW insurance by the dealership.

6. BMW insurance would not issue a repair authority as Mr. Samuel did not have a valid bike licence but only the test assessment. This is not sufficient proof for the insurance company to issue authorisation and the dealership will not order the parts before authorisation is issued.

7. Mr Samuel first had to obtain a temporary licence from Bisho in order for the claim to proceed.

8. On receipt of the authorisation number from BMW insurance, Continental Cars immediately place the order for the spares required to repair the motorcycle.

9. Some of the parts required for the repair are classified as slow moving items and are therefore procured from the warehouse in Germany. This being standard practice with any manufacturer. The lead time for the parts to arrive in South Africa is 7 to 10 working days.

10. As informed by Continental Cars, Mr Samuel had requested a loan unit to participate in a BMW rider's weekend however the client was deemed to be a risk as he has had two accidents in the past few months.

BMW Motorrad therefore supports the Dealer, Continental Cars, in that the delays in the repair to the motorcycle were not as a result of bad service on the part of the dealership.

- Rob Holder  (14-Aug-2007 12:45)

* I have a different view of BMW's service. I bought a 1200 GS in 2006, had some mechanical problems with the bike and it was fixed under warranty... no problems... also had to wait for parts to be flown in from Germany but I was always kept informed on the progress.

The service department at Auto Alpina did a great job to sort out the problems. I have had excellent service!

- Etienne van der Bank  (14-Aug-2007 17:03)