Trax top-box mount mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudmucker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I ride solo.  So why do I have my lock-up top-box mounted as if I carry a pillion every ride? 
I previously tried the Vario top-box mounted in the forward position and decided against it.
(Anyone want to buy the kit?) 
When my Vario top-box gave up the ghost, I went the Trax route.  I liked that it mounted a little further forward – on the space ship rack.  But it still struck me as being too high – especially as I took off the pillion seat long ago to prevent my boots scratching the vinyl. 
So I took off the Trax mounting plate and then I took off the space-ship rack 
I surveyed the bare rear of the 1200GS. 
I turned over the Trax mount and put it down on the seat. 
I noticed that the  Trax rack claw hook for the hold-down catch had an extra hole on the centre line.  Hmmm…

An idea leapt out at me. 
Instead of mounting the Trax rack on the Space ship rack, why not drill this unused hole right through
and use it to mount directly into the rear mount of the space ship? 
I found a bolt long enough to fit through the hole and a few rubber tap washers
to pack it up to compensate for the curvature of the BMW rear base. 

It has definite promise.  The Trax top-box mounts about 10cm lower and with the rear almost flush with the bike – leaving the rear brake light clearly visible. 

With the Trax bracket bolted down at the rear only, it was secured enough to fit the top-box ad a first tryout.  The box sits well, further forward with just enough space left for rider to mount easily, move his butt back on steep down hills, or to mount a bag across the frame between seat and top-box.

I tried fitting the Vario side panniers with the top-box in place and the angled bottom corners of the Trax top-box allow more than enough space to hook on and lock the panniers in place. 
(This is an advantage for riders who use them too.)
All that remains is to make up two small angle mounts to attach the Trax mounting frame to the two forward mounting points of the space ship.  Some 25mm steel flat and a vice and it’ll be ready for field trials.

Attachments

• TraxMount_Sm.jpg
    TraxMount_Sm.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 143
  • TraxMount_pack.jpg
    TraxMount_pack.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 146
  • TraxSolo_fitted.jpg
    TraxSolo_fitted.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 207
  • TraxBox_fitted.jpg
    TraxBox_fitted.jpg