Crossing rivers, living life

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
The plan : go and ride some new dirt and try and get the bike wet with a river crossing. Turns out I did cross a river although smaller than I hoped it was one of my best rides to date :D

Looking at my map I plotted some roads that followed or crossed something that resembled a river. It took me from PTA towards Bronkhorstspruit - Groblersdal - Balmoral - and back again.

Not long into the ride (40 km to be excact) I hit the first dirt and was greated by some Cosmos flowers and soon after my first river, the small babbling stream called "Osriverspruit".

DSCF5335.jpg

DSCF5337.jpg

DSCF5338.jpg

DSCF5340.jpg

Notice the DRZ on the bridge

DSCF5339.jpg

Went for a closer look and got my feet wet aaargh, should have worn my Alpinestars :?

DSCF5344.jpg

After the Osriver I took a right turn and rode dirt that was pretty rutted with some stones thrown in for some good measure, in other words fun !

DSCF5342.jpg

A quick stop for another pic and trying to get some of the water out of my shoes :evil: Was a lekker little spot though :wink:

DSCF5345.jpg

DSCF5346.jpg

I feel a bike wash coming on

DSCF5347.jpg

The trail made a U shape and it was not long before I came across some more water, it's amazing to see how much water there is around after the rain as it seems to appear magicly from the ground.

DSCF5349.jpg

Low level bridge crossing

DSCF5348.jpg

Good place for a drink, enjoy Coca Cola :D

DSCF5352.jpg

Just for you Welshman, quote of the day brought to you by your friendly local farmer "success is to have everthing that money can't buy" very true 8)

DSCF5353.jpg

They were busy scraping this road which exposed alot of rocky sections

DSCF5354.jpg

These cattle enjoyed munching the green grass, I enjoyed munching some biltong :twisted:

DSCF5356.jpg

Nice top gear stuff lay ahead

DSCF5357.jpg

And some more water, and yes I got my feet wet for this pic as well just for you guys !

DSCF5358.jpg

I took the tar into Bronkies and noticed a bike shop called CJ Cycles. Low and behold another DRZ, my bike just had to say hello.

DSCF5360.jpg

They also had a fantastic old BMW, looked as good as new.

DSCF5361.jpg

I followed the map towards Groblersdal and looked for a turnoff right onto the next dirt section. I battled to find it but eventually after nearly turning around I came to the dirt road and it was killa !

DSCF5362.jpg

The road well was flanked on either side by some great scenery, some sections even reminded me of Baviaaskloof

DSCF5364.jpg

It'a amazing how fast the scenery changes, look how wooded it is here. Only minutes before it was flat with few trees.

DSCF5369.jpg

This stretch was a beaut to ride but the best was yet to come.

DSCF5370.jpg

I could see a little river down below but no way of getting to it, then in the corner of my eye I caught a little rutted stoney road leading to trail Nirvana. It led to a river, yes a proper river crossing. Small but beautifull and snotglad :lol:

DSCF5371.jpg

DSCF5372.jpg

The tricky trail leading down from the main dirt road. Very eroded on one side so be carefull if you ride it someday. It looked like a 4x4 track that was now overgrown or became to narrow to drive anymore. Plenty of room for a ds bike though :wink:

DSCF5373.jpg

The trailcontinues but looks lekka tricky, next time if someone would like to we can see how far it goes

DSCF5380.jpg

I was damn hungry by now so out came my new gas stove, man can life get any better ? Well yes it was only two minute noodles :lol: Still tasted great though !

DSCF5377.jpg

Hmmm, the great outdoors !

DSCF5378.jpg

Like this pic, adventure man getting off the beaten track and drinking (boiled) river water :lol:

DSCF5379.jpg

Veldfocus moment

DSCF5381.jpg

DSCF5382.jpg

Lovely spot but I had to push on, turning around was tricky but hey I crossed a river !

DSCF5383.jpg

Came across the Wilge river flowing a rate !

DSCF5384.jpg

DSCF5385.jpg

DSCF5387.jpg

DSCF5386.jpg

The last dirt section had me head for Balmoral and a final few pics.

DSCF5391.jpg

DSCF5393.jpg

The final stretch consisted of some tar all the way back to PTA, it was a great ride though 250 km in total.

Hope you guys enjoyed !