Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What documents needed to enter Namibia?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Dirtrider69

Re: What documents needed to enter Namibia?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 08:56:11 am »
I have a Mechter trailer and spoke to them this morning - the guy says my 3 x bike trailer can carry up to 900kg. So trailer problem solved! Will service bearings and go test it a bit first.
"Ride it like you stole it!"

Offline Gene

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 09:36:51 pm »
Holy crap! Deposit for the bikes and a letter of invitation? So all the guys doing that yearly Dessert Run on plastics have to do all of this as well? What the hell are we gonna need then for Botswana? Same shit I suppose?

No No, either one only, if you are not the owner of the bike on the trailer at the border post then you need this dep. as mentioned above,  or either an invite - not both ,but if you are in the car with the bikes and can prove ownership , no problem

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 11:15:32 am »
Holy crap! Deposit for the bikes and a letter of invitation? So all the guys doing that yearly Dessert Run on plastics have to do all of this as well? What the hell are we gonna need then for Botswana? Same shit I suppose?

No No, either one only, if you are not the owner of the bike on the trailer at the border post then you need this dep. as mentioned above,  or either an invite - not both ,but if you are in the car with the bikes and can prove ownership , no problem

None of the bikes, car or trailer is financed and they all belong to us. So we won't need any special clearance papers, deposit, invite or any other "special" documents other than the normal reg. papers, insurance and the road tax(that you buy at the border)? Is this the same for Botswana?

Offline Gene

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 09:43:45 am »
If you transport the bike on a trailer and you will be EG. flying up to Nam. then you need a dep. of 20% on the market value of the bike payable to the dept. of interior / or have an invite , (read  previous) If you are with the bike and car  at the border then you need not to worry as you are the owner, whether the bike is paid or not.
I don,t know about Botswana

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 08:56:45 am »
If you transport the bike on a trailer and you will be EG. flying up to Nam. then you need a dep. of 20% on the market value of the bike payable to the dept. of interior / or have an invite , (read  previous) If you are with the bike and car  at the border then you need not to worry as you are the owner, whether the bike is paid or not.

Thanx for all the advice guys. Does anyone know what the requirements are for Botswana when taking a bike on a trailer?

Offline Vaalseun

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 04:52:46 pm »

Thanx for all the advice guys. Does anyone know what the requirements are for Botswana when taking a bike on a trailer?

Yes. I would also like to know about Botswana. ....AND..... do you take the original registration doc's or certified copies?

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:02 am »

Apparently both. Show the copies to officials, but have the originals in case they do ask for them. This is from what I've been told. Because you wont have the originals if the vehicle is financed anyway.

Yes. I would also like to know about Botswana. ....AND..... do you take the original registration doc's or certified copies?

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 09:18:40 am »
The registration papers for vehicles are required on the SOUTH AFRICAN side, to prove that you are the owner and that you aren't exporting stolen vehicles.  This is also, I believe, why the border crossings into and out of Lesotho are so lax - where would you take a stolen car??? ;D

I don't recall ever having to supply reg papers at any neighbouring country's border posts: Moz, Swazi, Lesotho, Bots, Nam - nor crossing between Nam and Bots - although last time I did that was about 5 years ago.

The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.