Solo trip from JHB to the Wild Coast and back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schalk vd merwe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
On the 15/01/2011 my son Juan and I came back from a 40 day 13 350 km trip to the Equator in Kenya and back traveling on 2 Yamaha XT 660 R's.
(See RR under Ride Reports>Africa tour to the equator and back in 40 days) Three month later the withdrawal symptoms kicked in and I could not resist that open road anymore and on the 23/03/2011 I hit the road again to the wild coast. The first night I slept at the Zastron Hotel and found that the owner was with me at school in the 60's. From here I took the road over Sterkspruit, Eliot, Coghlan, Mthatha and at Coffee Bay I booked into the Ocean View Hotel for two nights. The next day I travelled to the Hole in the Wall. On the 26/03/20 I set the GPS to do dirt roads only and travelled back to Mthatha and on to Maclear where I slept over. The next morning I travelled over the Moordenaarsnek pass, Naudesnek pass and on to Rhodes all gravel roads with the most beautiful views and back to Zastron where I overnight again. The next morning I kept the GPS on off Road and only joined the N 1 again at Winburg and from there back to JHB. Since our Africa trip to the Equator I cannot sit at home anymore and the mind is thinking of an even bigger trip. Here are some 46 photos of the 6 day trip which felt like a breakfast run after our Equator trip.