Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Two little Monsters on the mountain  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Two little Monsters on the mountain
« on: August 19, 2007, 08:21:13 pm »
Well, what a weekend! It started on Friday with the new YFM700 Grizzly I had to test for the local paper.

We ended up playing with all sorts of 4x4‚??s on that day‚?¶  ;D More on that later.

Saturday we took LGF‚??s monster into the mountain and Sunday was spent with the family ‚?? on the bikes of course. After the kids saw the pics of LGF‚??s ride there was no way I could keep them off the mountain on Sunday.

Things did not start well. 1st Mrs. TR could not go with so I had to leave my bike at home  :( and ride hers (which was already on the farm) and then the car left with the kid‚??s elbow & knee guards, as well as their helmets.  :-\

At first I suggested that we ride the quad till the car gets back. That did not go down well.  :evil: Maar Paaaaaa. Quads is dan vir sissies! OK. Lets use Mrs. TR‚??s helmets. Who got stuck with the full face helmet was another issue.  :-\ The little one agreed to wear it if he could wear the chest protector we had as well.

Let‚??s ride! (At last!)  ;D

First stop at the dam to unlock the gate.

And then into the mountains. We took a road I have not taken before (yes, there are that many!).

Running the risk of repeating myself (again) ‚?? this area is breathtaking.

After exploring for a while we got the phone call ‚?? the helmets are back!  ;D Rest assured we rode back to the farm without delay. Some people get rather attached to their gear it seems.

All kitted out they were a much happier bunch. Let‚??s go already!

We have an indigenous forest on the farm dubbed: ‚??Die feetjie plek‚?Ě That would be our next stop.

This area is well used in summer. It‚??s cool and you get that wonderful forest smell. The water is clean and delicious.

Well, this is beautiful and all, but the kids want to ride! I took them through a deep slippery valley where two very capable 4x4‚??s got stuck for 2 and a half hours on Friday.

Kids of this age are amazing. They‚??re kind of a blank slate. No bad habits like the ones we struggle with. Also, at this age dad is the smartest and strongest guy in the world.  ;D You stop before the obstacle and tell them how to ride it; what to do when and where. OK Dad! And off they go and ride the thing as if it‚??s the most natural thing in the world.

No problem‚?¶

What a privilege to ride here and do it with your family.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 08:32:25 pm by Trailrider »

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Re: Two little Monsters on the mountain
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:32:51 am »
Jeepers Johan, you and your family are really blessed to have such an amazing property on which to ride!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:39:51 am »
For the last time moderators, please block Trailraiders pics. Its really not fair to the other forum members.

;) ;) ;)

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:22:15 am »
For the last time moderators, please block Trailraiders pics. Its really not fair to the other forum members.

;) ;) ;)

Hahahaha !

I tell you - it is a real privilege to ride there.

Put things into perspective a little.

Trailrider is constantly torn with the dilemma of wanting to share this with other people on the one side and needing to not abuse (over use) the privilege and standing a chance for forestry to stop access altogether on the other.

Great pics and story.
As I've said before, TR's kids are growing up with the knowledge that their dad is there for them on many levels...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:55:13 am »

Trailrider is constantly torn with the dilemma of wanting to share this with other people on the one side and needing to not abuse (over use) the privilege and standing a chance for forestry to stop access altogether on the other.

Thanks Eisbein. Well said. After re-reading I realized that stressing what a privilege it is might start to sound "windgat". This is not the case at all. We are humbled every time we enter that area. Sir Gravellot described Saturday's ride as spiritual. To be swallowed by nature is an exceptional experience.

Just for some background: The forestry area is being harvested and it will not be replanted. The whole area will be returned to it's original state. This is excellent news of course. On a farm 5 farms from ours (about 6km) there is an enduro track and the reason why there is a blanked ban on 4x4's, bikes and definitely quads is because if they let some bikes in all will want in. Imagine having that happen and trying to rehabilitate the area at the same time.

We are in the lucky position to have a pipe in the mountain that feeds the beautiful dam at the gate. So we have limited access to the area and we have known the person in charge for years. If we let him know every time before we go in and if we ride slowly and with silent bikes he's OK with it. We don't make a noise and don't make dough nuts. Come Monday no-one even knows that we were there. If we act like hooligans and make our presence known other bikes will want in also and then it's over for all of us.

So, in short, I would love to show this area to every person, but I doubt if that will be possible. We have entered the area for two weekends in a row now and we'll have to wait a while before we go in again. We do not want to push our luck... So yes, when I and who-ever is with me go in there it is indeed a privilege.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:43:17 am by Trailrider »

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 10:23:16 am »
I am in awe of the country side you guys in the Western/Eastern Cape have to ride in consider me to be Jelly bean green with envy!! >:(
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline droffarc

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 10:34:42 pm »

if we ride slowly and with silent bikes he's OK with it. We don't make a noise and don't make dough nuts. Come Monday no-one even knows that we were there. If we act like hooligans and make our presence known other bikes will want in also and then it's over for all of us.

So, in short, I would love to show this area to every person, but I doubt if that will be possible. We have entered the area for two weekends in a row now and we'll have to wait a while before we go in again. We do not want to push our luck... So yes, when I and who-ever is with me go in there it is indeed a privilege.  ;D

Great words there -  :thumleft: Some people (the minority) can spoil it for others (the majority).
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline Raider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 09:04:56 pm »
Wanneer gaan Oupa begin bike ry? ???
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional!

masehare

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 12:39:35 pm »

The one at the back will make a fine BMW rider one day. Go little Wild Dog, go!

;D ;D ;D

Kev

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 09:45:02 pm »
I love the "Feetjie Pl√™k".  TR, you know what it is all about. Blessed. Truly. :notworthy: :thumleft:

Offline Spook

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 07:09:43 pm »

;) ;) ;)

Hahahaha !

I tell you - it is a real privilege to ride there.

Great pics and story.
As I've said before, TR's kids are growing up with the knowledge that their dad is there for them on many levels...

Another problem is that he stays right there. When he walks out his front door, first thing he sees is the mountain and with so many "near perfect" days, why work if you can go trail riding, or what do I sy TR? It's now a tossup between work and pleasure... ::)
Live to ride - Ride to live