Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GSA fuel capacity  (Read 9961 times)

Offline detour

Re: GSA fuel capacity
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2012, 11:36:05 am »
BMW owners manual does not really clarify the issue, they show: Usable fuel capacity- approx. 33 l and Reserve fuel- approx. 4 l

filled up the other day after the reserve light came on and the on-board comp displayed available range to be 57km and the consumption to be 5.9l/100km, took 30.3l to fill the brim, according to range and consumption I had approximately 3.4l left, thus computing to gross capacity of 33.7l

With aprox. I would think 1 or maybe 2% variance, not 10%. I think its more likely that you have a similar fuel transfer problem than my bike having 3l+ more capacity than yours.
BMW R1200GS Rallye, Husky 501, KTM 300

Online punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2012, 11:54:31 am »
 :imaposer:Yesterdy filled up. Range left was 68 km. Consumption 5.f l/100 so I shouldve had around 3"itres. Bike swallowed 34 litres.    My bike is fatter
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Alan

« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2012, 01:44:42 pm »
Since all my experiments, had 3 tank fulls at 3 different garages, all of them higher than 37 liters..  :deal:
So, to answer the thread's question, The GSA fuel Capacity is 38 Liters, and the expected range "should" be 620 Km's plus.. Right-hand dependant.  :imaposer:
My fuel strip is now also working very accurately, so I've got to say all my own problems with THIS bike have been the stupid sucking jet pump.. I cannot see how a mechanical "venturi" system would be though of as being 100% reliable, and it clearly isn't, as a few other dogs have also discovered. Shane's response was simply fit to petcocks with an interlink under the tank like the older bikes.. KISS principle..

Anyway, my result is good, and it's solved my problems. 2 Fuel pumps, one in each lobe, one feeds the Bike, the other feeds the other side of the tank.

Alan

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2012, 01:00:43 pm »
FANTASTIC result mate - well done!   :thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Andyman

• always available
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2012, 08:47:26 pm »
I ran outta fuel the other night 'cos of a faulty fuel strip- its in for its 30k km service and they will recalicbrate the fuels strip.

Anyway, a quick call to my local dealer agent and he said, lay the bike on its left-side pot, rock it a bit to-n-fro and shake the
.....wait for it.... you guessed, the 4 litres in the right side to slosh in to the left side where pump is.

I let it priime a few times by switching the ignition on then off a few times and it started first time and drove another 10 clicks t the next garage.

And yes daily commuting has allowed me to fairly confidently ride it close to empty, but the most I've put in is 35 litres.
And I can get 635 kilometres if I use my right hand nicely omn the throttle.
Andyman
Anyone can ride a bike fast. But can you ride real slow?

Offline Antois

« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
Hi Alan
Will the pump continue pumping when the left side is empty and if so is the pump ok to run dry for some time?

Offline Alan

« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »
@ Andyman,
don't you however find that solution a litte "Cave-manish"! You've spent a small fortune to have some aweosme technology, but to make full use of it, you must drop it on it's left hand side pot!!!  :eek7: :patch:

@antois, I can hear when it's not in fuel, or doesn't have load, as it's whine becomes a little hitgher pitched, but as the bike is always moving, and the fuel is constantly moving from left to right, it's more or less always in some fuel.. But honestly, when it's at this point, my odo is saying upwards of 580km's, and my reserve is on, saying a near as dam expected range of 30 to 50 Km's. I usually Fill at 600 Km's. I know it's all working right as my L/km is 6, and at 600 Km's, I fill with 37 Liters and a bit extra, which equates to approx 16.2 K's per Liter.

Offline Antois

« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2012, 02:50:40 pm »
Thanks Alan that answer my question.

Offline Roné

• PE Dog
    • Algoanet
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2013, 02:11:57 pm »
Filled up Yesterday - 9km's to go  - (according to computer)  took 34L
Previously owned:
Suzuki AC50, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki 750GS, Honda XL250, Honda XL500, Zongshen 200, Kawasaki KLE 500, Aprillia Pegaso 650, KLE650 Versys,KLR650, BMW 1200gs, Suzuki E175, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Currently owned: Bikeless

Offline Alan

« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2013, 02:57:38 pm »
Mmm.. I'd say you had at least 60 K's in that tank, if it was brimmed.  ;)

Offline GSLaaitie

« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2013, 07:40:36 pm »
... a quick call to my local dealer agent and he said, lay the bike on its left-side pot, rock it a bit to-n-fro and shake the
.....wait for it.... you guessed, the 4 litres in the right side to slosh in to the left side where pump is...

Jip, we've had to use that trick a couple of times! They should teach you that when you buy the bike!
Beer isn't the answer. It's the question. The answer, is Yes!

True story

Offline stan1975

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • 33°35'35.71"S 24°40'26.84"E
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2013, 03:18:45 pm »
Just fill up when the fuel light comes on what difference does it make... Liters per hundred is all that counts... Really
Ride within yourself, think ahead... Plan your escape route & be safe.... Just remember no one else knows what your thinking until you tell them...

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2013, 11:19:22 pm »
Subscribed!!
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »
Just bought an 09 GSA. Travelled from Pretoria to Bloem. Range was showing 156 km at about 30 km to Winberg and about !40 km to Bloem.

Range started a free fall an in next 12 km went doen to 56 km range.

Pulled off in Winberg and filled up. Bike only took 21 litres????

Rode to Bloem and then on to Aliwal North on Sunday.

Again had about 60 km range left and bike took 22 litres???????

Did about 80 km's today around town doing licencing and roadworthy etc. Range has stayed in the 40 km range all day. Stopped at one place on a slope and when i left the range left jumped to 109 km. Drove about 2 km and it had dropped to about 50 km range left???

Very confusing??
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline hedleyj

« Reply #174 on: April 29, 2013, 10:35:45 pm »
I wonder if the 1190 has a range problem  :peepwall: :pot: :pot: :peepwall:
I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Offline Antois

« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »
Don’t use the fuel gauge as a guide, rather the trip meter unless you know your gauge. My fuel warning light will light up between 420 to 430km travelled then I still travel another 100+ km, with  550km travelled it will take between 28-29lit.

Offline capeklr

« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2013, 08:15:14 pm »
Just bought an 09 GSA. Travelled from Pretoria to Bloem. Range was showing 156 km at about 30 km to Winberg and about !40 km to Bloem.

Range started a free fall an in next 12 km went doen to 56 km range.

Pulled off in Winberg and filled up. Bike only took 21 litres????

Rode to Bloem and then on to Aliwal North on Sunday.

Again had about 60 km range left and bike took 22 litres???????

Did about 80 km's today around town doing licencing and roadworthy etc. Range has stayed in the 40 km range all day. Stopped at one place on a slope and when i left the range left jumped to 109 km. Drove about 2 km and it had dropped to about 50 km range left???

Very confusing??

Mine is the same.
To check if the sucking jet in my GSA worked I took off the tank when it only had 8 or 9 liters in it and lay it over to the right so that nearly all the fuel was away from the pump. Refitted the tank and started her on the centre stand. Gauge showed nothing. Idling for 2 or 3 minutes the gauge showed 2 bars. So fuel was definitely being pumped to the left side.
The other interesting thing I noticed if that the fuel strip does not reach the bottom of the tank. If you remove the left cover where the fuel pump is you can feel where the fuel strip is. It is nowhere near the bottom of the tank.
Does not bother me to much as I prefer to rather fill up a bit earlier.
I am 30 years in the motor trade and have noticed that fuel pumps will last longer when the fuel tank is kept full.
If you run dry the fuel pump can overheat as it relies on the fuel flow through it to cool itself.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2015, 08:45:51 am »
Time to check in here again.....

Had a low fuel warning light come on some 40km from home on the R21 recently, the one-stop had a mile-long queue, so gave it a miss, ran some erands and got home. Thought maybe a little fuel would be a good idea, filled up with 35.01l - not bad for a 33l tank...  :biggrin: Did 645km on the last tank.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!