Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GSA fuel capacity  (Read 9962 times)

Offline King Louis

Re: GSA fuel capacity
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 04:21:36 pm »
39.8Lt's is my best fill and it never leaked out the overflow

Still on pain killers, hey..........? :mwink: :pot:

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 02:21:34 pm »
I overheard the other day that it is 'not good for the bike' to ride it so close to empty.  Apparently the fuel pump does not like running dry.  But it could be BS. ::)
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Alan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 03:45:02 pm »
 ???
This GS Adventure I got from Jupiter is weird fuel wise. So I understand it's "supposed" to take 32 Litres as it's an Adventure.. ONE day not to long back, I got close, like, 31.5 or something.. The Computer said full, range approx 580 or whatever.. Anyway, I get to the end of that tank, it says range is about 30 something K's, and the bike splutters and dies, but I was round the corner from the station, so managed to coast in.. So I EXPECTED a 32 Litre fillup..  :(
Brimmed it on the center stand, and only got to like, 29. something litres.. I had shooke and bounced like mad, the fuel was level in the fillhole.. where did 3 litres vanish to?
Then ran that tank down to the computer telling me I have about 40 or so K's left, and hit a station, again, expcting close to 29 litres, and Iagain I brimmed it and it was only at 27.8 litres.. It's all over the place.. No chance I can get 32 Litres in, but also can't trust to range on reserve as it dies with still 30 Km's on it..
So for sure the calibration's poked.. How do you get this fixed, or what do I need to buy to fix it?

Alan

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 04:22:53 pm »
???
This GS Adventure I got from Jupiter is weird fuel wise. So I understand it's "supposed" to take 32 Litres as it's an Adventure.. ONE day not to long back, I got close, like, 31.5 or something.. The Computer said full, range approx 580 or whatever.. Anyway, I get to the end of that tank, it says range is about 30 something K's, and the bike splutters and dies, but I was round the corner from the station, so managed to coast in.. So I EXPECTED a 32 Litre fillup..  :(
Brimmed it on the center stand, and only got to like, 29. something litres.. I had shooke and bounced like mad, the fuel was level in the fillhole.. where did 3 litres vanish to?
Then ran that tank down to the computer telling me I have about 40 or so K's left, and hit a station, again, expcting close to 29 litres, and Iagain I brimmed it and it was only at 27.8 litres.. It's all over the place.. No chance I can get 32 Litres in, but also can't trust to range on reserve as it dies with still 30 Km's on it..
So for sure the calibration's poked.. How do you get this fixed, or what do I need to buy to fix it?

Alan

Some of those fuel stations do "creative mathematics" on the amount of fuel pumped!!! :mwink:

Offline Antois

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 07:54:40 pm »
Die 29 liters nadat ek gaan staan het is die meeste wat ek nog kon ingooi laasweek het ek hom gery tot bitter naby aan staan oor die 500km en gewys 25km oor toe gooi ek maar 24liter in, so hierdie tank het my goed aan die raai. Ek het ook al die nek uitgehaal om gaaitjies in te boor maar daar is reeds twee vents regbo so ek dink nie dit kan 'n verskil maak nie. Ek sal na die langnaweek hom weer probeer leegry (sal so bietjie petrol saamry) en dan weer kyk hoeveel ek ingooi.

Offline Leo

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 08:00:41 pm »
On Honey ('07 GSA) I regularly filled up 34 - 35 lt. Most was 37.95 lt.

Now with Sweetness ('12 GSA) I have the same kark. My best range on a tank is 620 km's. I need to ride it until it runs dry, then check how many fuel it takes.

I'm also too lazy to fill every 500 - 600 km's. I wanna do +700 km's.

Can't do the filler neck mod on the '12 GSA - no need there are extra holes on the side that does the same job!
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Alan

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 06:01:05 pm »
 :dousing:
This thing is starting to get to me now.. Had the yellow Warning on, Remaining Distance said 40 or 41 Km's.. (I recall the bike ran dry when this was on like 34 or 33 km's, so I pull in to the garage now, on the center stand, and said fill it up.. After like 5 minutes of rocking and rolling that I almost pulled the bike off the center stand, I managed to get 24.8 Liters in the farking tank!!!!  :eek7: Where the Fuck is the other 7 Liters???  :patch:

So, something's SERIOUSLY off with the fuel side of things, and it's farking heavy on fuel.. Did 390 something km's on this tank.. Not even CLOSE to 500 Km's.. and It was supposed to be a full tank. So running out of ideas now.

Can anyone else shed some light on where to look for the problem here?

Alan

Garfield

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 06:15:27 pm »
Do not know where to look but it does not sound right.

I never run too low and regularly fill up 28+ l without shaking or trying to get the last drop in.
Normally ride 450 to 500 km before I fill up, will make a point of checking actual consumption.

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 06:59:07 pm »
This thing is starting to get to me now.. Had the yellow Warning on, Remaining Distance said 40 or 41 Km's.. (I recall the bike ran dry when this was on like 34 or 33 km's, so I pull in to the garage now, on the center stand, and said fill it up.. After like 5 minutes of rocking and rolling that I almost pulled the bike off the center stand, I managed to get 24.8 Liters in the farking tank!!!!  :eek7: Where the Fuck is the other 7 Liters???  :patch:

So, something's SERIOUSLY off with the fuel side of things, and it's farking heavy on fuel.. Did 390 something km's on this tank.. Not even CLOSE to 500 Km's.. and It was supposed to be a full tank. So running out of ideas now.

Alan

Could be that the fuel range indicator / computer / gauge setup is messing with your brain - if you only put in 24.8l on 390 km it gives you 15.7km/l or 6.4 l/100km - which sounds about right.
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Offline Alan

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 09:35:26 pm »
 ???
How do you work that out Gypsey? My trip tells me I have another 40 km's to go before I theoretically run dry. I drive into the garage and BRIM it, and I only get 24 .5 litre's into the tank! That's it. So you're saying there's still 7 litre's in the tank, and that will only take me 40 km's, ..

No buddy, you missing the maths somewhere. This bike isn't calculating the economy correctly at all. I could understand if the guage is saying I only have 40 Km's left BEFORE the bike goes into reserve, but that's not what happened the other day.. So I'm already IN reserve with the yellow triangle up, and the clock's telling me I'm going to run out in the next 40 Km's, but based on how much I put in, that means it uses 7 Litre's to travel 40 Km's..  :patch:

I don't think so. This boy's got issues with the fuel measuring\tank senders whatever is in there..

Alan

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 07:48:24 am »

Alan
It seems the 1200 gauges does not always show the correct data, there must be a bug in the software.

Offline Alan

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:07 am »
 :thumleft: Have to agree brandt..
I'd like to know HOW do these bikes measure whats in the tank? is there a float unit, or a "dipstick" type Sensor? I'm of the opinion this device is whats fooked.. So it's not registering where the proper level is in the tank.

Does anyone have a 1200 GSA Manual?

Alan

Online allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:27 am »
It seems the 1200 gauges does not always show the correct data, there must be a bug in the software.

Rewrite the software!
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder)
XXXX Honda CB1300 Super Four Hybrid (nameless)

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath  When you pry it from my cold, dead chest"  Skillet - The Resistance (Unleashed 2016)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 08:49:33 am »
The '10 model GSA onwards have issues with the fuel sensor strip - mine has been in 3 times to have it re-calibrated and the same problem always occusr - inmy case unless you brim the tank, ie: only put in R200, the distance remaining sits at 126km for at least 250km, until it "catches up" and then drops as per normal. I tend to use the ODO rather - fill up at 500km - usually takes about 28 litres odd......

6.4l/100km normal? I would think that is heavy! Mine runs at 5.3 - 5.5l/100km depending on the load/speed/style that I am driving - just did a fully loaded trip (tar, unfortunately) to East London & back last week - 2209km at 5.5l/100km! Average speed for the trip was 95.7kmh.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 08:59:01 am »
The '10 model GSA onwards have issues with the fuel sensor strip - mine has been in 3 times to have it re-calibrated and the same problem always occusr - inmy case unless you brim the tank, ie: only put in R200, the distance remaining sits at 126km for at least 250km, until it "catches up" and then drops as per normal. I tend to use the ODO rather - fill up at 500km - usually takes about 28 litres odd......

6.4l/100km normal? I would think that is heavy! Mine runs at 5.3 - 5.5l/100km depending on the load/speed/style that I am driving - just did a fully loaded trip (tar, unfortunately) to East London & back last week - 2209km at 5.5l/100km! Average speed for the trip was 95.7kmh.
My 2008 model do the same. The gauge work well if you fill it up but if you only put in like 8 liters it does not always pick it up and stays on the reading before you added the 8 liters.

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 09:56:42 am »
@CT As you said, it depends on your riding style. At 120 gps constant (meaning I keep the bike in 6th gear) on long stretches of road I get 4.9 l/100km :thumleft: but my average is 5.8 due to town traffic, stop & go, grinning after dropping a guy in a hot hatch at the traffic light dashes etc. At 100km/h gps constant my consumtion is about 5.5 l/100km (tank to tank) because I change gears a lot more, even dropping down to 4th to keep the speed constant on an uphill.

As I implied earlier, the tank to tank differences in capacity is probably the computer <-> sender communication/programming error imo.
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Offline ceasar

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 01:42:00 pm »
My 2c....

The GSA sensor I would say was designed to be "slow". The reason for this, is so that the sensor actually gives you the average reading of all the highs and lows created by the fuel sloshing around in the tank. My Toyota Corolla does the same.

That being said, there is still a problem with the system as a whole. It CANNOT be trusted. The economy indicator is useless. the best reading you will get, is on long trips where you fill up completely at each stop. What bothers me, is the fact that Alan got stuck with 40km still to go on the computer.... :eek7:

Somethings I have noticed with my 2010 GSA:
When I only put in say R100, the gauge is not registering...at all! Nothing changes. eventually I will begin to notice that the indicated range stays stuck for longer before it goes down again. but its unreliable
When I put the bike on the sidestand, and only sometimes, the fuel level indicator will give me a different readout after a while, and sometimes this will happen when I brake for long periods on a downhill slope. It will increase or decrease with one, sometimes two bars on the fuel level indicator.
The best way to measure, is to use your trip meter.

Lastly, I think Alan is not getting the full benefit of his 33litres because his tank/pump/system cant access the last 7 odd liters. Maybe a pickup is stuck somehow, or his tank somehow doesn't equalise the lefthand righthand halves, if indeed they need some kind of "equalising"?

Offline Alan

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 02:12:53 pm »
Now this is starting to make sense on my setup.. I did get a reply from Shane Hoskins about this.. Said something Similar, so I'm going to try find some time and go see him. See what my bike's Computer setup is at, as I think it's very heavy on fuel, and nowhere near what you guys get.. But in saying that, I know there has been stuff done on this bike with regards to the Electronics and after-market setups by the previous owner.. possibly it's running very rich to overcome other issues, so hopefully something can be seen\detected\sorted out soon via Shane, and or on a Dyno.
Am now carrying half a litre emergency and am going to run it dry and see what the odo says.  :deal:

Alan

Offline Antois

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 06:43:48 pm »
Hier is my laaste bevinding nadat ek myne weer gery het tot ek gaan staan het, het 500ml ingegooi om by die garage te kom en toe 30liter gevat om vol te maak. Die laaste 80km was daar geen fuel indikasie meer nie ook geen km oor so om in die verkeer te ry met die wete dat ek enige tyd moet gaan staan was nogal senutergend. Ek het 572km gedoen teen 5.1 lit/100km of 19km/lit so nog steeds kan ek nie die volle gebruik van die volle 33liter kry nie, sal maar soos hierbo genoem moet uitvind hoe om die balancing van links en regs reg te kry, weet nog nie hoe hierdie storie werk nie teensy iemand dit kan beskryf asb.

Offline ceasar

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 02:05:46 pm »
Hi Antois. Ek is ook maar net n leek, maar wat ek bedoel met "twee kante" is die volgende.

Hier is 'n foto van die GS se tank, let wel, dis nie die GS Adventure sn nie, want ek kry nie n goeie foto van syne nie, maar ek sal dink by die Adventure is die "probleem" erger.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Let hoe daar twee "helftes" of "holtes" is, 'n linker en regter kant. Wat ek probeer se, is dat as daar iets fout is met die sisteem wat jou linker en regter kante moet equalize, met ander woorde die vlak van petrol in altwee kante gelyk hou, kan dit wees dat daai 3 liter wat jy soek dalk nie reg of vinnig genoeg equalise nie.

Ek het agtergekom daar is so iets want my bike wys soms voller en dan ewe skielik weer leer. Dis omdat ek ry en le en die draaie en briek ens. Dit veroorsaak dat die vlakke, wanneer die bike so half of net onder half is, gedurig oorspoel heen en weer oor die "middel" van die tank. Ek dink die tank lees net die een kant. Jou petrol is dus daar, dit word net nie deur die bike gebruik nie. Daar is dus iets fout, en BMW of jy moet daarna kyk.

G'n wonder die tanks is so duur nie, kyk hoe ingewikkled is dit daar binne!!!

Groete