Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GSA fuel capacity  (Read 9958 times)

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: GSA fuel capacity
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:35 am »
I noticed something the weekend. I have put in R90 but the fuel gauge stayed the same, this was even so after two days of commuting. I usually park my bike on the center stand. I left my bike parked on the side stand one afternoon. When I started the bike the gauge showed the extra fuel in the tank and went one block down after a few km's and that seems to be the correct reading. It seems the reading is taken from the left hand side. I will investigate this.

Offline Antois

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:24 pm »
Dankie Ceasar
Ek verstaan die twee kante van die fuel tank, maar hoe dit gemanage word dat die twee kante gelyk gehou word, en hoe die laaste bietjie brandstof uit gekry word, is dit met vacuum, pomp of met 'n valve.
Thanks

Offline Roné

• PE Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Algoanet
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 09:29:29 pm »
subscribe
Previously owned:
Suzuki AC50, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki 750GS, Honda XL250, Honda XL500, Zongshen 200, Kawasaki KLE 500, Aprillia Pegaso 650, KLE650 Versys,KLR650, BMW 1200gs, Suzuki E175, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Currently owned: Bikeless

Offline Alan

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 06:00:44 pm »
So, been riding like a Granny,

I just went through 400 Km's, I have 1 block in the fuel section showing, the Yellow Yield warning is up, and I have 50 km's left according to the range. Which means 450 Km's out of an apparent 32 Litres.. NOT very fuel efficient.. But we'll see how far it goes before it dies on me.

Offline Brandt

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 08:27:49 am »
Light come on yesterday, showed 63 km to go. Filled up this morning, 32.61 Litres. Show that Range now is 653 km.

Offline Alan

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 10:03:23 am »
 >:( I need that range..

I'm now at 430 Km's, and it says I have 24 Km's range.. I opened the fillercap when I got to work, and shook the bike, and I can hear juice sploshing around, and lots of it.. So for sure whatever is "supposed" to feed between the two lobes in this tank, is not doing that properly.. Do you guys know if there's an electric pump perhaps? I'm ready to guarantee the bike is going to stop on my way home today, and I'll only be about to get about 27 or 28 Litre's back in.. Whatever "connects the two sides of the tank to where the pickup is for the FI isn't working..

Alan

Offline Brandt

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 10:21:25 am »
>:( I need that range..

I'm now at 430 Km's, and it says I have 24 Km's range.. I opened the fillercap when I got to work, and shook the bike, and I can hear juice sploshing around, and lots of it.. So for sure whatever is "supposed" to feed between the two lobes in this tank, is not doing that properly.. Do you guys know if there's an electric pump perhaps? I'm ready to guarantee the bike is going to stop on my way home today, and I'll only be about to get about 27 or 28 Litre's back in.. Whatever "connects the two sides of the tank to where the pickup is for the FI isn't working..

Alan
Maybe the pipe is blocked that must equalize the tanks? Did you put the bike on the side stand for aty least 2 hours and see if make a difference on the reading?

Offline ceasar

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 11:26:27 am »
Alan, you need to have a specialsit look at that tank for you. best is to go to BMW and "hope" that they themselves know what/how does the tank work. Without knowing how the tank operates, nothing will make sense. My guess is, that the tank continuously pumps fuel from the one side to the other side. If you look on this pic I posted, you will see that the big orange pipe goes from the bottom of the left side of the tank and deposits fuel over the "bulge" to the right hand side of the tank. I guess the tank will keep on doing this for as long as the petrolpump is running. There is no "equalization" from the right to the left it seems. But this is all looking at the pic, which refers to a GS and not the Adventure tank...

Offline Alan

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2012, 04:18:58 pm »
Hi,
After chatting to my mate Max, about it, I decided to cut my losses and called Dave Higgs at Atlantic. He agree's there's something not right, put me onto Johnny, and he agree's, I should be able to "squeeze" up to 35 Litre's into this tank.. And the range should easily be upwards of 550 Km's.. So it's booked in may the 5th.. Hopefully they'll be able to sort it out..  :-\

Alan

Offline Alan

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2012, 10:50:49 am »
@ Brandt,  :thumleft:

I had to go to Builders this morning. Now I rolled home and into the garage last night with the range saying 1!  :eek7: But I have a litre emergency in the top box, as I'm determined to see what I get out this bike's tank..
Anyway, go to builders, and "quickly" leave it on the side stand.. I too ALWAYS leave it on the center stand wherever I go.. Came back, got on and on my way home, there's now another square back on the fuel meter gauge, and it says range is back up to 88 km's..  :patch:

Soooo.. I have to agree, the pickup is probably in the left hand side lobe of the tank, but whatever the mechanism is to move fuel from right to left etc, isn't working properly. Maybe it is if the bike's on it's side stand, but you shouldn't HAVE to do that to correctly measure fuel!

Anyway, will keep on riding until it splutters and dies. Currently at 460 something km's..

Alan

Offline Roné

• PE Dog
    • Algoanet
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 08:46:30 am »
Alan - I had a Standard GS before the Adv and both was not very accurate in measuring the fuel. Just curios to see if there is a way to make it more accurate, However I think you are wasting your time. I've grown use to mine and only use it as an indication of fuel left. Even my car is not very accurate.
Previously owned:
Suzuki AC50, Yamaha DT175, Suzuki 750GS, Honda XL250, Honda XL500, Zongshen 200, Kawasaki KLE 500, Aprillia Pegaso 650, KLE650 Versys,KLR650, BMW 1200gs, Suzuki E175, BMW R1200GS Adventure
Currently owned: Bikeless

Offline Alan

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 10:02:33 pm »
Rone',
yes, agreed, however, I still need to know what I can capably expect from a full tank. Mine spluttered down the road into the garage this morning on the way in. 492 Km's finished. Filled it, got 28.5 Litres. So, still missing at least 5 litres worth, but not nearly enough to get this up to the 630\650 k range others are getting. So, I'll wait now and let Atlantic take a look next month, see what they can find\sort out.

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2012, 03:18:13 pm »
Filled my GSA up this morning - 33.07 litres - did 604km on the last tank, including 250km of high-speed, fully-loaded tar - and still showed 69km left on the range, which is about 3.8 litres...... ???

:imaposer: :imaposer:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline JVR

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 07:09:46 am »
Did 485km showed 81km left took 29.7 lt.
Life's not short,it is the longest thing you'll ever do.

Offline Alan

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2012, 05:34:16 pm »
Ok, my feedback..
Bike was in at Atlantic today. Anton is the new mechanic. I explained whats what, he said he would go through the tank and clean out the Fuel Pickup Strip, but made it clear it might require replacing should this not work, fair enough. Also offered to perform all Software updates on the bike, and sync all three ECU's relating to this..  I also explained I though or was led to believe from Jupiter's much earlier posts from last year, that there was a Power Commander on this bike which might be messing with the fuel etc. They checked and found no power commander at all. They DID however discover an additional heat sensor which was mounted on the rear of the bike near the Rear Fuel Resorvoir, and is connected via proprietry plugs into the harness. This is a Heat Sensor, which depending on the Temp of the Motor, will richen the Fuel. He said guys usually move this sensor out away from the motor, which then icnorrectly tell the electrinics the bike's a lot colder than it really is, and thus makes the system use more fuel.. Sounds possible.. Anyway, they have removed it for me (I have it.), and gave the bike a nice clean.. Both times I've collected the Bike from them now, it just "feels" so much better.. like it's "tight" and new..  ;D

So I've brimmed it again, only got 26.8 litre's in.. But let's see if the mileage is higher now with this sensor thing removed. Hopefully I get closer to the 600 Km range now. If the Fuel isn't registering correctly, I'll have to buy a new fuel pickup tape thingie.. But let's see how it goes. Learning and discovering stuff about this bike all the time. And am REALLY happy with it.. I got a loan 800 GS, and thought to myself, what a small scooter this is..  :biggrin: Me who used to own a 660 Tenere 2 months ago..

Lovin' my 1200 GSA, AND my Cafe Racer.. 

Offline Gypsybaron

• My mind is like an eight lane highway - gridlocked!
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pick a direction, not a destination, and ride!
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »
Ok, my feedback..
Bike was in at Atlantic today. Anton is the new mechanic. I explained whats what, he said he would go through the tank and clean out the Fuel Pickup Strip, but made it clear it might require replacing should this not work, fair enough. Also offered to perform all Software updates on the bike, and sync all three ECU's relating to this..  I also explained I though or was led to believe from Jupiter's much earlier posts from last year, that there was a Power Commander on this bike which might be messing with the fuel etc. They checked and found no power commander at all. They DID however discover an additional heat sensor which was mounted on the rear of the bike near the Rear Fuel Resorvoir, and is connected via proprietry plugs into the harness. This is a Heat Sensor, which depending on the Temp of the Motor, will richen the Fuel. He said guys usually move this sensor out away from the motor, which then icnorrectly tell the electrinics the bike's a lot colder than it really is, and thus makes the system use more fuel.. Sounds possible.. Anyway, they have removed it for me (I have it.), and gave the bike a nice clean.. Both times I've collected the Bike from them now, it just "feels" so much better.. like it's "tight" and new..  ;D

So I've brimmed it again, only got 26.8 litre's in.. But let's see if the mileage is higher now with this sensor thing removed. Hopefully I get closer to the 600 Km range now. If the Fuel isn't registering correctly, I'll have to buy a new fuel pickup tape thingie.. But let's see how it goes. Learning and discovering stuff about this bike all the time. And am REALLY happy with it.. I got a loan 800 GS, and thought to myself, what a small scooter this is..  :biggrin: Me who used to own a 660 Tenere 2 months ago..

Lovin' my 1200 GSA, AND my Cafe Racer.. 

A Schlowy accelerator mod perhaps ???
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

"It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis - Three Wooden Crosses

Offline oo7

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2012, 09:11:01 pm »
Most of these fuel issues mentioned are also really irritating to me - I have a 2008 GSA. Twice now in the past I got stuck (i.e. engine died due to lack of fuel) when the range indicator showed around 30km left to go. Fortunately,  and on both occasions, I tilted the bike over to the left, and managed to start it up again and ride to the nearest petrol station. On my bike therefore it seems that the fuel in the "right hand"  side does not get pumped out? I was however under the impression that the GSA's fuel is pumped (sucked?) from both sides, so theoretically it should not matter?

Like Brandt I have also noticed when its starting to become  empty'ish, that I would park the bike in  the morning (on its center stand) and when I start it up after work, the fuel reserve light is suddenly on. After a couple of km's the light then goes out. Conversely, if I leave the bike on its side stand all day, the fuel gauge will give a less empty reading after being parked liked that for a long time.

Fuel consumption seems to be very erratic, ranging from anything between 4l/100km to 7l/100km, but that at least is directly related to how I ride. The most I  managed to get out of a tank was 695km (and then I filled up with "just" 32l - the worst I got on a tank was less than 300km.

The only thing that I do know from all of this is that the fuel indicator is the most worthless piece of equipment on the bike. 

Should I have the fact that the bike does not pick up the fuel in the right side checked out, or is that normal?

Offline Alan

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 08:04:38 am »
@ Gypsybaron,
no idea what that is or even looks like to be honest.. But the logic sounded good. So we'll see if it helps.
Anything North of 550 plus km's and I'll be a happy chappy. I used to get this range on my Tenere with only 37 litres.. so this needs to improve.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 09:59:40 am »
I misjudged myself one day in between towns and thought I was going to run out.

Range showed 0km, and everything flashed. Did another 80km or more riding it like that.
When I filled up the bike took 35liters.

Even on cars. When it shows EMPTY, there is still fuel left. I think the calibrate it this way so that the customer dont run out of fuel and harm the vehicle/bike still under warranty.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 10:29:08 am »
Have put 31.5 L in again yesterday  :thumleft:

Yep did a trip as well a few years back..... limped down the Westcoast road with huge wind and all the lights on the guage showing empty and 3km range left....... eventually reached Melkbos and put in just over 31.8litres.....  nickname for these bikes should be "Fuel-Bowsers"
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›