Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GSA fuel capacity  (Read 9972 times)

Offline Alan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: GSA fuel capacity
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »
Feedback after Atlantic.

Right then, so, it's been 3 days since Anton removed the Sensor thingie, and serviced my fuel sensor tape in the tank as well as re-calibrating the electrincs, ecu's, computers etc. Rode out of Atlantic, and pulled in at Paarden Island Engen. Brimmed it again. (I need to do the Neck hole Mod.) Filled it and bounced it and filled it, and got 29 Litre's in..  :eek7: Still missing the good old 3 litre's, but we'll resolve that another time.

Did a little riding this weekend, including my first trip to a Paintball Game Sunday at U-Tac, awesome fun.. But fark me I'm sore today.. I can already tell the bike is using less fuel.. My odo on this tank is just shy of 200 Km's, and I'm only about 1/3rd down on the fuel level indicator. Prior to this sensor being removed, I was already past half way on the fuel gauge for 200 Km's. It says I still have 410 Km's range, which essentially means a total tank range in excess on 620 Km's...  :biggrin: So we'll see.. I'll be a happy chappie when I'm getting over 600 Km's to a tank.. THEN it's worth it.

Cannot for the life of me think why Jupiter or the previous owner would put such a dof device on the bike?

Alan

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 11:12:27 pm »
Alan that is the Accelarotor Module which hundreds have been sold of, even here on WD.
So far everyone has only good to say about it.

I have one on my bike also and cant complain.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2012, 11:14:30 pm »
Same story for tyre pressure monitors.

There is also a glitch with software.

Rather trust your handheld gauge, before you trust the onboard computer  :thumleft:

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2012, 12:03:37 am »
Alan that is the Accelarotor Module which hundreds have been sold of, even here on WD.
So far everyone has only good to say about it.

I have one on my bike also and cant complain.

And I don't seem to recall ever referring to it as a Power Commander   :patch:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:04:38 am by jupiter »
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Alan

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2012, 07:30:23 am »
@ Manic,
I can already see a marked improvement in this Bike's economy, so, in my opinion, it was doing nothing to make the bike run any better. It sounds exactly the same as it did before I took it in there, so I'm of the opinion the device is not helping my fuel economy.

@ Jupiter, before I bought this bike, I did plenty research on it's History. See thread bumped above.
So from this thread, I naturally assumed the Bike had an Accelerator Module\Commander\Thingie, as I so elloquently put it, installed somewhere.

At the end of the day, I am looking for 33 litres to carry me a minimum distance, based on my experience with my Tenere', and previous Bikes. It wasn't getting close to what it's supposed to get, and thats what I've found. Without this "Sensor", the Bike is showing a VAST improvement with no other ill side effects. Maybe it's a combination of the removal of the sensor, as well as Atlantic doing the right settings on the ECU's, whatever it is, it's BETTER than it was.

My next fix up is to add a breather hole in the neck, and to sort out the right hand lobe not supplying the fuel to the pump area. Other than that, this Bike is proabably running the best it's run in it's life.

Offline Alan

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2012, 09:56:22 am »
Ok, my feedback..
Bike was in at Atlantic today. Anton is the new mechanic. I explained whats what, he said he would go through the tank and clean out the Fuel Pickup Strip, but made it clear it might require replacing should this not work, fair enough. Also offered to perform all Software updates on the bike, and sync all three ECU's relating to this..  I also explained I though or was led to believe from Jupiter's much earlier posts from last year, that there was a Power Commander on this bike which might be messing with the fuel etc. They checked and found no power commander at all.

Jupiter, this is what you're referencing, and at the time of thw quote, I simply typed the wrong information, eg: Power Commander, or Accelerator Module, or Thingie.." so don't worry, it was more a type than anything else.

Morseo, it is one of the Schlowy AM's they removed, and obviously BMW have some updated mappings for these "problematic 2007 Bikes", which is what has been done on mine. So as I said, time will tell, but it's running a lot leaner than it was, and I should get the proper mileage out the bike that I should be getting..  :thumleft:

Offline ceasar

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2012, 02:56:18 pm »
I have a 2010 Twincam Adventure, and have also installed the AM from SCustoms. The device wont damage your engine...period. BMW does not deal with this issue, and the issue is, South Africa does not have the right/best fuel available for this motor. The aircooled Boxer twin is now, with the current EU specs for contolling pollution in effect, at the top of its evolution. That is why a water cooled motor has been designed for the next model GS and Adventure. An Air cooled engine runs hotter than a water cooled one, and therefor the fueling differs between the two, even if everything else was the same. The fueling on these engines have been calibrated so perfect by BMW, that when you fiddle with one thing, like the quality of fuel, the engine will either suffer damage, or cause more pollution than is allwed. BMW is not at fault really, because they did the best they could, but we found a way of enriching the mixture under acceleration without compromising the system as a whole.

Air density/mass is at its highest in cold conditions, thereby requiring more fuel by an engine to effect correct combustion. This is not overfueling per se, but a requirement to burn enough fuel for the conditions. Performance will theoretically improve. Warm air, is less dense, and requires the reverse, less fuel. Now, according to my LIMITED knowledge, the Boxer twin does NOT measure air mass, but air temperature only (in the air box)and thereby calculates the required fuel needed to burn effectively, and all this(the air-fuel mixture) is verified by the twin lambda sensors in the exhaust headers and finetuned accordingly when cruising. Thus, telling the ECU that the air temperature is low, will result in an increase in fuel delivered to the combustion chamber, which will surely require more fuel, thereby your belief that fuel consumption will increase. BUT, this extra fuel also gives a little extra power (under acceleration) and therefor requires a smaller throttle opening to do the same as previously(like pulling away at a stop street). SO, the "argument" is that the Accelerator module "saves" fuel. None of this is scientifically proven of course, and you'll have to take the manufacturers word for it. But like you said, it makes sense. I've installed the AM and I can see and feel in the heat generated by the engine (which is much less now than previously) that the AM works. I can also feel that acceleration is more/better.

If you suddenly start utilising ALL the fuel in your tank, I think it will be the result of the innards of the tank being touched, and not the removal of the Accelerator module. I am glad though, that you received an update on your ECU software, without the AM in place. I'm always worried that the sensor will be "corrected" or require a recalibration by the BMW computer and cancel the effect the AM should be having on your bike. Best way you can resolve this for yourself, is to take of one or two panels from your bike on the lefthand side, plug in the AM in to the wiring harness coming down into your airbox, and sticking the sensor to the side of your tank with duct tape, making sure it will only sit in ambient air and not near the exhaust, engine or anywhere its hot, and go for a quick ride. If you don't feel anything different, take it off, reverse the process and sell the AM here on the forum...or if you do feel a difference, route the sensor the the front of the bike, attach it with cable ties and close up the panels....and enjoy your beast!

My 2c

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 09:06:29 am »
Ok, my feedback..
Bike was in at Atlantic today. Anton is the new mechanic. I explained whats what, he said he would go through the tank and clean out the Fuel Pickup Strip, but made it clear it might require replacing should this not work, fair enough. Also offered to perform all Software updates on the bike, and sync all three ECU's relating to this..  I also explained I though or was led to believe from Jupiter's much earlier posts from last year, that there was a Power Commander on this bike which might be messing with the fuel etc. They checked and found no power commander at all.

Jupiter, this is what you're referencing, and at the time of thw quote, I simply typed the wrong information, eg: Power Commander, or Accelerator Module, or Thingie.." so don't worry, it was more a type than anything else.

Morseo, it is one of the Schlowy AM's they removed, and obviously BMW have some updated mappings for these "problematic 2007 Bikes", which is what has been done on mine. So as I said, time will tell, but it's running a lot leaner than it was, and I should get the proper mileage out the bike that I should be getting..  :thumleft:

Be careful of this ! Also have a look here   http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=49103.0   which could provide more clarity on this question of yours...

Cannot for the life of me think why Jupiter or the previous owner would put such a dof device on the bike?Alan

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:56:45 pm by jupiter »
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Garfield

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 09:50:04 am »
but it's running a lot leaner than it was,

You might be spending more time here http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=75213.msg1911843#msg1911843 in future if the bike runs to lean...

Offline Alan

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 01:18:35 pm »
Boys,

BMW have new, updated Fuel Mappings, including updated settings to fix these older issues, inclduding the issue of the the left piston getting burnt etc. . These latest updates were updated on my Bike, so I have to believe it's better now that it was.

Garfield, what km's do you get on a Tank? Over 550 Km's? Under 450 Km's? What's your general usage consumption? Since I got this Bike from Jupiter, it's never got over 500 Km's.. Now for a Bike with a 33 Litre tank, that's NOT that good. I got better distance with the Tenere', and 6 litre's less.. It's running too rich. I believe Atlantic have resolved this with the new updates, and removing the AM that was fitted to this Bike.
I'll deal with the consequences then, should they occur, but I believe the bike's better now than it was. At the time, the AM was probably a good thing, because BMW hadn't provided updated maps for the ECU's, who knows.. But IMHO, it's  DOF device.. With the cost of petrol today, it's like saying, buy 200 rand's fuel, and throw 75 rand on the road and only use the remaining.. Thats what this thing's essentially doing..

PS: Notice also both those threads ended in 2010.. I did by mistake BUMP one up while trying to find the details on the AM you had fitted..But subsequent to that, there's no further updates.. So, perhaps BMW HAVE updated the downloads for everyone's ECU and fuiel mappings..

Anyway, I do however need to replace the Fuel Level Sensor, as the bottom half of the unit's all but buggered.. They want 2 K for a new one, so will keep my eyes open for a 2nd hand unit, or one from overseas at a later stage.

As far as this thread and issue's concerned tho, I think I'm done trying to contrinute to the group. So, last post from me on the subject.

cheers

Alan

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:43:55 pm by Alan »

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2012, 02:27:44 pm »
Thanks for the update  :thumleft:

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:21 am »
Hey Dawgs

I filled up this morning and managed to squeeze in 32.285 leetres ! and got 550km on my tank. NAAAISE  ;D
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline Brandt

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2012, 08:16:14 am »
Hey Dawgs

I filled up this morning and managed to squeeze in 32.285 leetres ! and got 550km on my tank. NAAAISE  ;D
Sounds the same as mine  :thumleft:

Offline oo7

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 08:33:36 am »
Hey Dawgs

Did you guys made any mods to the breather hole?

Offline Brandt

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:44 am »
Hey Dawgs

Nope.

Garfield

« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »
Garfield, what km's do you get on a Tank? Over 550 Km's? Under 450 Km's? What's your general usage consumption?

Average 5.8l/100km according to the computer, put in more than 30l once, have done more than 500km on a tank a few times - generally takes around 28-29l on these occasions.

Offline Alan

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2012, 12:55:07 pm »
thanks man, Will see how this tankful goes for now. Need to do that tank breather mod.

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2012, 02:21:07 pm »
Quote from: Brandt on Today at 08:16:14 AM
Quote from: BryanOC6 on Today at 08:10:21 AM
Hey Dawgs

I filled up this morning and managed to squeeze in 32.285 leetres ! and got 550km on my tank. NAAAISE 
Sounds the same as mine 

No mods done to the tank,
Cheers
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Garfield

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2012, 02:25:21 pm »
thanks man, Will see how this tankful goes for now. Need to do that tank breather mod.

Where do you guys ride that you need 34.7546l and 32-33l will not make it?

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »

Where do you guys ride that you need 34.7546l and 32-33l will not make it?

they don't - it's for carrying spare fuel for the other riders  :peepwall:  (no wonder they call the GSA a bowser)   :imaposer:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›