Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: getting a bike transported to Tanzania - any advice .  (Read 1095 times)

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
getting a bike transported to Tanzania - any advice .
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:50:28 am »
Good morning , got an oportunity to visit Tanzania in June and will take a month off . Does anyone know how to get a bike up there ( train , shipping etc ) from Cape Town as I do not have the time to ride all the way up there and would rather spend a relaxing month in Tanzania riding around .
Any advice would be appreciated , much thanks .

Offline PierreO

Re: getting a bike transported to Tanzania - any advice .
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:58:44 am »
I know we ship good up there on a train . Donno if it goes all the way to Dar , but it goes past our office in Kilombero . I will mail them and ask for more info .

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:38:55 pm »
thanks Pierre0 , whole way or part of the way would be good . Is Kilombero in the south ?

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:26 pm »
Heard a story the other day from someone flying their bikes up... recon it's the cheapest/safest way of doing it apparently...
Don't know if they have gone into all the funnies yet though, I don't think Batteries are allowed in the air...
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline PierreO

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:42:02 pm »
S7 39.721 E36 59.515 . Their VSAT is down today so hopefully will have the info by tomorrow .

Offline PierreO

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:46:08 am »
That train does not run anymore . Something to do with the different widths of the railways lines and the reloading of trains somewhere in deep africa did not make it very economical . Apparently Rovo's rail also use to go past there but they say they haven't seen that train either in a very long time .

Offline shanti

• Race Dog
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:17:41 pm »
I am going to look into shipping - must be something from Cape Town to Dar - thanks PierreO for the help with your enquiries

Offline chickenbadger

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »
Hi Shanti

You will be able to freight train the bike from here to Lusaka, as the rails are the same gauge all the way from Cape Town, same as the Spoornet system. However, after that, the Chinese neoclassical Industrial colonisation happened (and still is happening) in Africa South of the Sahara. The Chinese laid tracks of a different gauge (which they have the patent for in terms of actual trains, so only they can supply trains for those tracks). This track starts in Kapiri Mposhe (about 200 km from Lusaka) and runs through the copper belt, into Tanzania and to Dar Es Salaam. The train is not on the greatest condition and is hugely unreliable (I did the trip in January, 2012 and the three day trip took us 5 - impromptu stops etc etc etc) but if you are doing it as a trip its frikkin awesome as it goes through some incredible game parks (we saw a leopard from the train). I definitely would not suggest this as a from of carriage for your bike.

As Dar is on the coast I would definitely lean toward an ocean passage.

Hope this helped!
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. I dont have this luxury.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 07:31:26 pm »
A mate of mine shipped a bike from CT to Dar in 2009, he loaded it into a container and off it went, almost any shipping co can assist you with this.. one thing he did tell me though is that the ship got to Dar quick but the ship waited for a week before it could dock, something about the harbour being too small for the amount of cargo going through it.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »
I live and work in Tanzania now, I wanted to do this as well, but found it was way to expensive, it will cost you anything from $3500 USD and upwards to have it shipped, depending on the type of bike you have it may or may not be worthwhile.

I have now decided to buy a new KTM and drive it up from SA in September. What bike do you have?

Regards

Drew
The Christini AWD Advantage!

Offline steveindar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Eish!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 06:01:23 am »
Hi Shanti

You will be able to freight train the bike from here to Lusaka, as the rails are the same gauge all the way from Cape Town, same as the Spoornet system. However, after that, the Chinese neoclassical Industrial colonisation happened (and still is happening) in Africa South of the Sahara. The Chinese laid tracks of a different gauge (which they have the patent for in terms of actual trains, so only they can supply trains for those tracks). This track starts in Kapiri Mposhe (about 200 km from Lusaka) and runs through the copper belt, into Tanzania and to Dar Es Salaam. The train is not on the greatest condition and is hugely unreliable (I did the trip in January, 2012 and the three day trip took us 5 - impromptu stops etc etc etc) but if you are doing it as a trip its frikkin awesome as it goes through some incredible game parks (we saw a leopard from the train). I definitely would not suggest this as a from of carriage for your bike.

As Dar is on the coast I would definitely lean toward an ocean passage.

Hope this helped!

The rail gauge is the same all the way to Dar es Salaam, Cape Guage. There is no direct passenger connection between the two lines as the Tanzam railway is "privately" owned and run, separate to Zambia rail and Tanzania Rail. You can ship goods all the way, but who knows how long it would take, plus trying to get the bike cleared with temp import in Dar could also slow things down.
Best fly it in, not cheap but quick. Or use road transport. If you crate the bike yourself in the smallest possible crate, shouldn't cost too much more than about $1000.
Is this putting you off yet?
What I did was ride the bike to Kapiri Mposhi then booked it on and cleared it at Dar. Only took 3 months.
An easy way? No.
COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!

Offline Alang

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 10:52:44 am »
We flew our bikes into Cairo in Dec 2010 and rode them back to CT. It cost us R13000.00/bike should be a bit cheaper to Dar as it is half the distance.

Offline Alang

• Puppy
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 11:10:26 am »
We are also planning on riding to Dar in 2013, I've got the cost of shipping the bikes back to Durban in a container, R14 000.00, however this is only cost effective if you have up to 6 bikes (full container) = R2333.00/bike

Offline imo

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vendor for Twisted Trails
    • Twisted Trails
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 11:22:21 am »
Hi Alang

we have allready done the DBN to Dar trip and we rode back to Durbs (check out www.two2zanzibar.blogspot.com), we now want to ship the bikes to Dar and complete the trip.  The plan is to ride from Dar to London

Thank you for the costs, that gives me a good idea, may i ask where you got the quote from?

Offline Alang

• Puppy
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »
Sorry I did not look at the date. The shipping company is Santova contact Lance, lance.vanzyl@santova.co.za

Offline imo

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vendor for Twisted Trails
    • Twisted Trails
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 08:19:04 pm »
Thanks Alang