Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sign Wonder 200 - Bela Bela  (Read 517 times)

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
Sign Wonder 200 - Bela Bela
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:44:47 pm »
Saturday saw the second race of the Echo 4x4 Cross Country Inland Championship series, known as the Sign Wonder Warmbaths 200, and what a race it was.

This must be the most successful and well organised series in the country, and again saw more than 300 entries for two wheelers alone. Entries were in fact limited to this number.

The area saw some rain on Thursday and Friday which made for the most beautiful moist sand you have ever seen, never mind raced on. The race was again over three loops of approximately 60km's each, and resembled the Botswana Desert race in many aspects. Except that the trees were a little less dense, and a little less "thorny". Traction in the moist sand was fantastic.

The first loop was flowing and for the first time one could actually race the guys ahead of you from the word go, without having to take chances in the blinding dust (like some okes do). On the second lap break bumps, whoops and deep rust were forming quickly, the last lap was basically 60km's of whoops and ruts and was quite hard on the (unfit) body. Still stiff today!!

The quads started after 300 bikes did the loop three times, (excl some DNF's) and even some of the leading quad riders were complaining a bit afterwards, they were doing close to 180km's of whoops!! That must have been super hard work.

Lourens Mahoney took the open class and overall win, he is blindingly fast this year and that KTM 2 Stroke suits him perfectly, such a nice guy as well. Hoofseun had another great ride (I assume from the results :thumleft:) and won the masters class again. I was 20th in the open class.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Hoofseun

Re: Sign Wonder 200 - Bela Bela
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:18:00 am »
Our two teams did well, two first places in respective classes and a total of seven top 10 finishers in the various classes.

What an excellent race, my rear and front tyres are still brand new – sand => sand => sand.  Like Heine said, by the second loop he was going down the braking bumps in fourth and coming out in 1st.  By the third lap he got lost in the braking bumps and had to use his lights.   Thousands of braking bumps, but it was great.

And by the way, they had a MX section at the end, that was real fun.  Here are some photos from the event that Puddles took…

The pits and some final adjustments

Our teams two first timers off-road - Skinny and Jimis…

The shortest run up to the first corner

The first few corners after the start

The MX section

Some spills, the first one did not go down but the second oak missed the whoops..

@ Darksider, see you at the next one!

"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C

Offline J-dog

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:11:07 am »
 :laughing4:

Well done guys  :thumleft:

Offline SpeedMetal

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:16:18 pm »
Hey DS, nice ride report  :thumright:
GODSPEED!

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:10:36 pm »
Awesome stuff! I would love to do an enduro in SA when I am home for a break! What do they charge for entry? Is it only over 1 day?
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:54:23 pm »
Awesome stuff! I would love to do an enduro in SA when I am home for a break! What do they charge for entry? Is it only over 1 day?
It is one day only yes, you need MSA license to compete.  And membership at a club, all of this can be sorted out quite easily via the internet. Entry is R500. Let me know when you are here or if you need assistance with this, I have a full schedule of the years races and did all the races in this series last year (plus some others) so can give you some info.

If you happen to be here for the Botswana Desert Race (during the latter part of June), you should really try to do that. These races are good fun and will be 1000km's over two days, also require MSA license. Entry around R1200 if I recall correctly.

Attached pic from the Bela Bela race.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 06:03:42 am »
It is one day only yes, you need MSA license to compete.  And membership at a club, all of this can be sorted out quite easily via the internet. Entry is R500. Let me know when you are here or if you need assistance with this, I have a full schedule of the years races and did all the races in this series last year (plus some others) so can give you some info.

If you happen to be here for the Botswana Desert Race (during the latter part of June), you should really try to do that. These races are good fun and will be 1000km's over two days, also require MSA license. Entry around R1200 if I recall correctly.

Attached pic from the Bela Bela race.
Racing is the one thing that we lack with a bit here in Dubai. We have MX every year but the Baja`s  just dont seem to get off the ground.

I dont think i will be coming back home this year as we have decided to go to the US for a break this year. But next year Definately we are there! As soon as get dates I will contact you to see what is running.

What bikes do you run there? 300 2T?
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450