Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Money  (Read 671 times)

Offline LangKat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
Money
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:20:18 am »
Going through Botswana (only briefly), Zim, Mozam and Malawi and wondering if a Standard Bank master card is any good in the major cities?

I assume dollars is the way to go for cash. How much should I look to carry on me? How easy is it to draw money from ATMs?

Thanks in advance

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Re: Money
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:27:13 am »
I can only speak for Bots and Moz - It's relatively easy to draw cash, ATMs all over - but it's hugely expensive... the banks charge you conversion rates, etc.  I'd say as much as 5% - 10% of the transaction amount... Same goes for swiping your credit card, although I think the fees are lower.

Cash is king - especially dollar, although you might get ripped on exchange rates so be aware of what the exchange rates are at the time of your trip.  Rand is also widely accepted in these countries (Bots and Moz).  I would actually convert some Rand / Dollars to the local currency at a foreign exchange (either here or there) and just use those - no chance of being ripped on exchange rate, etc.  Don't keep all that cash in one place though.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Offside

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:13 am »
The ATM's in Zim. spit out USD, so no need to carry largr amounts there.

Offline Just_Plain_Dan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Mr Kempton Park 1997
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:51 am »
malawi's atms are few and far between, exhange rates are shit, costs are high and most of the time they are either offline or out of cash.
Take your money in US $$$.
You get much better exchange rates on the black market and they love US$, so don't accept the first rate offered to you.

Offline LangKat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:02:54 am »
Thanks for all the advice so far!

How much will I need for about 8 days travel? Just food and basic accommodation?

Offline tgg

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 02:26:24 pm »
would depend on the choice of food, Tinned fish on bread or steak and chips

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 07:27:52 am »
Eight day should not need much, 100 USD a day and you will live high on the hog. For longer trips and it could apply to short runs, it is best to take more than one credit card (banks tend to shut you down if they think some foreigner is using your card) VISA and MC seem to be the best.  Here we have credit cards and Debit cards, I think you have similar but call them something else. The debit card there is money in the bank and you are just drawing on it. I like to use them because I can limit how much is in the bank in case card is stolen they only get that.  As for money, I stash 300 USD on the bike just in case someone takes everything on me I can get to next country.  Another good habit is having two wallets, one with your cash in it and one with only day cash that you can give the mugger.
Bob :ricky:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"