Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2013 (F5, F5, F5......)  (Read 63379 times)

Offline SteveD

Re: Dakar 2013 (JUST 50 DAYS TO GO!!)
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »
I'm in the mood.... :lamer:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Dakar 2013 (JUST 50 DAYS TO GO!!)
« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:42 pm »
Hehe, Steve, I hope you are ready for the ADV F5 club...its pretty crazy in there 1,500 posts/day. I will be chasing the Peru leg and maybe some of the Chile leg of the Dakar on my 800, so all you wil get from me is the occasional tweet/post.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Panne

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
Re: Dakar 2013 (JUST 44 DAYS TO GO!!)
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »
Breakdown of bikes by manufacturer:  :thumleft:

Beta2
BMW2
Bultaco1
Gas-Gas2
Honda38
Husaberg4
Husqvarna   11
Jincheng2
Kawasaki3
KTM66
Sherco4
Suzuki1
TM2
"X"1
Yamaha50

Total of 189 bikes. Honda, KTM and Yamaha make up just over 80% of the field. :)
"Daar is honde wat maar net hoef te knor. Dit is dié wat reeds tevore gewys het dat hulle kan byt." - C.J. Langenhoven

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2012, 01:59:22 pm »
Total of 189 bikes. Honda, KTM and Yamaha make up just over 80% of the field. :)

Podium should be interesting.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2012, 03:33:29 pm »
Anyone know these guys? One of the budget teams. They decided to mod a KTM 530 into a 450. Would be great to follow their progress.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/3179/Motorcycle-Photo-Gallery/Project-Dakar-2013.aspx

The team for Project Dakar 2013, from left: James Aultman, Justin Maley (rider), JT Fortner, Charlie Sikes and Danielle Pray. The bike we have chosen is the tried and true KTM 530XCR-W. Of course we need to turn it into a 450 and then perform extensive modifications.

WYOTECH Eagle Tech Danielle Pray preps the KTM's frame for a coat of spiffy orange paint. As it was a used bike the frame had already taken a beating.  :mwink:

Former Army Ranger, Charley Sikes, installs Motion Pro's REVOLVER throttle kit and tube on the handlebars before we throw it all back together next week and I start doing some riding.

Race Tech hooked us up with valving specs and their famous Gold Valve for testing

Eagle Tech, Thor Wright-Ruiz, displays his handiwork with the orange spray can. Doing things on a budget and getting it done the best we can is what it's all about at this stage of the game.
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Panne

• Race Dog
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2012, 03:57:34 pm »
Anyone know these guys? One of the budget teams. They decided to mod a KTM 530 into a 450. Would be great to follow their progress.

Can't find Justin Maley on the entry list. Might be that his entry was not accepted. :-\
"Daar is honde wat maar net hoef te knor. Dit is dié wat reeds tevore gewys het dat hulle kan byt." - C.J. Langenhoven

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2012, 07:56:53 pm »

Can't find Justin Maley on the entry list. Might be that his entry was not accepted. :-\

Yes I thought he was not, have not seen much on his FB page either lately. :(
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2012, 07:58:42 pm »
Meeting with Giniel in the next week or so to chat about his plans and preparations for dakar..look out for a nice little video :)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2012, 08:08:46 pm »
How about some predictions?

First of all I dont believe 2013 will be despres's year. Mudboy will either be DNF or in the first two places, I think the former. He has been flawless four years in a row - how much longer can he keep the rubber side down at those crazy speeds? He never has problems with his bike, surely I cant go on like that?

I think Coma is not as fast as he used to be either, but he is still way faster than everyone else. Certainly Coma and Despres have the most pressure on them, more especially Cyril, being suspicious about the No 1 and all. Bet you Marc does not agree to swap numbers like they did this year, just to screw with him. Cyril is quite a supersticious cat. Marc's problem is he is nursing an injury, but he should still come back strongly.

Dont forget all the fast young guys who are fighting for a top 10 now in competition with the old Boys:

Zanol
Pain
Sunderland
Przygonski
West (maybe not so young but oh, so fast)
Fishy
Botturi

The more experienced boys being

Gonclaves
Svitco
Faria
Pedrero
Casteau
Viladoms
Verhoefen
Fretigne
Ullevalsetter
Czachor

Thats 18 guys (I might be missing one or two) fighting for 4-10th place, and I think its going to be the really exciting part of the 2014 Dakar.

Then there is are these guys out of AUs and South Africa who arent exactly slow and have considerable experience in their own right.

Grabham
Strange
Curtis
Van Niekerk

Also guys like Pavey and Juan Carlos Salvatierra who seem to battle with mechanicals every year and otherwise could be in the top 20 easily enough. Its one helluva strong fild, the strongest by far in years and years. I think there is going to be a bit of a shake up shake up in the top ranks in 2013, with Cyril going out on a mechanical.

So here is my prediction list:

1) Coma
2) Rodriguez
3) Barreda
4) Viladoms
5) Zanol/Chaleco {I had to edit this, I forgot about Chaleco!}
6) Faria
7) Svitco
8) Sunderland
9) Przygonski
10) Gonclaves

11) Verhoefen
12) Pedrero
13) Ullevalsetter
14) Casteu
15) Curtis # 37
16) Pain
17) Czachor
18) Fretigne
19) Fish
20) Grabham

And since we are on it, I have a feeling all the South Africans will finish:

Riaan van Niekerk #40
Brett Cummings # 89
Glen Grundy #91

Not to forget our Namibian brother

Ingo Waldschmidt #101

and our Zambian Brother

David Reeve #102

Offline Panne

• Race Dog
« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »
Think my predictions will be pretty close to yours. I'll post them later cos typing with the left only, is slooooooow! ;D

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2012, 08:48:21 pm »
Good luck to all the Saffers and neighbours

I really think (hope/ believe) that Darryl has now got the navigation thing sorted and that he can race at the pace that he is capable of. I also think (hope/ believe) that he is going to surprise a lot of us with an excellent result.

Can't wait
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:27:24 am by Darksider »
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2012, 08:02:15 am »

So here is my prediction list: 

Mine....I prefer Como to Depres but there is no denying Depres' commitment to detailed preparation (physical, mental and mechanical), staying injury free and his consistency.
He fights his battles to win the war, and the Dakar is a siege  :thumleft:

Can't wait.

1) Rodriguez
2) Coma/Depres
3) Depres/Coma
4) Johnny Campbell/Barreda/Viladoms
5) Barreda/Johnny Campbell/Viladoms
6) Viladoms/Johnny Campbell/Barreda
7) Zanol/Chaleco
8) Chaleco/Zanol

The rest of the top 10:
Faria
Svitco
Sunderland
Przygonski
Gonclaves
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline madmax

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
Re: Dakar 2013 (JUST 43 DAYS TO GO!!)
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2012, 01:56:02 pm »
got to say t5hat last years dakar was my very best i ever followed and all thanks to the ous on this list and the updates and times and pics etc they posted cos for me it was almost like being there
fornicate the proletariat

Offline SteveD

« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2012, 10:53:30 pm »
got to say t5hat last years dakar was my very best i ever followed and all thanks to the ous on this list and the updates and times and pics etc they posted cos for me it was almost like being there
I agree, last year's Dakar was the best. For those who don't remember the drama before the start:

Once the training was complete, the bikes were placed in a container to be shipped to Argentina, together with bikes from the Dakar Supporters tour. The riders would fly out just after Christmas, collect the bikes and be ready in time for pre-race scrutineering. That was the plan...
The first we, as detached Dakar-obsessed forum followers, heard that something was wrong was via Iain’s Facebook page on 20 December. Due to an issue with new cranes at one of the ports, the container with the four race bikes and the supporters’ tour bikes had been delayed by two weeks and had missed the boat to Buenos Aires. Frantic organisation involving the freight forwarder, government officials on both sides, customs, the Dakar organisers, basically anybody that anybody knew who might know somebody who could pull strings to get the bikes to the start on time, resulted in the container being loaded onto the Login Amazonia container ship bound for Buenos Aires.
To say that the schedule was tight was an understatement. The Login Amazonia was due to arrive in Buenos Aires at 11am on the day before the Dakar was due to start. The usual time to clear customs is two days. The ship had to get to harbour, dock, unload the container and get through customs, all in less than three hours. The bikes had then to be loaded onto a truck, driven 500km to the Dakar start, fitted with the necessary safety equipment, be presented for and pass scrutineering, all in less than 15 hours. It seemed impossible.
There was a queue of seven ships waiting to dock at the harbour in Buenos Aires. The time schedule simply did not have enough slack to allow for the ship to wait in the queue. This is where “Miracle Man” Iain pulled a hat out of the bag. Somehow, apparently by payment of a significant fee, Iain arranged for the ship to jump the queue.
The riders meanwhile continued with safety briefings and race registration, hoping for a miracle which would deliver the bikes to the start line on time.
Social networking and various forums came to life with people watching the progress of the Login Amazonia on-line, updating every two minutes. The mechanics had been dispatched to the harbour to collect the bikes, and we sat behind our keyboards and watched the ship crawl towards port. It was agonising!
Once the ship had docked, the riders were informed and immediately requested to update us on the progress through customs. The ship had docked 90 minutes late, leaving less than two hours to get through customs before the port closed. Iain kept us updated via Facebook "Container off ship on its way to customs .... Looking good"
Again the social networks and forums buzzed, and some doubters became believers.
And, then, about an hour later, the incredible news "We have just broken the Argentinian record for docking and clearing a container.....1hr10min .... Bloody hell I can't believe it... I honestly thought that it wouldn't happen....bring on Dakar!!!!"
Once the bikes had been loaded, it was a 500km journey to the start at Mar del Plata. Aart Bosman posted via Twitter (we were using ALL of the social networking tools by now) an apt description of the journey.
“At 15:30 we were finished loading of the engines and boxes of the riders. At 16:00 we left the heavily packed Buenos Aires. En route via various police checks and exchanging caps, T-shirts and lots of keyholders, Erik arrived at 20:45 to jubilant celebration from heavily emotional drivers. It showed it been worth all the effort.”
The Dakar organisers had agreed to accept the bikes for scutineering at 5am the following morning, only two hours before the start of the race. The team immediately set to work preparing the bikes, and the social media went quiet. We did not know for a few hours what was happening, or whether the boys had made it. And then the message from Darryl:
"It's been a late night. We've just had 2 hrs sleep. We got the bikes ready with the assistance of Marc Coma and Cyril Depres’ mechanics.... We've caused quite a stir in the Bivouac with our exploits... The Dakar organizers have been very accommodating allowing us to start. Looks like we're a go!
Four extremely relieved riders mounted up to start the Dakar rally, and my wife looked at me quizzically for dancing around my laptop with joy.

Offline SpeedMetal

« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2012, 12:59:09 am »
Awesome machine
GODSPEED!

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2012, 03:42:10 am »
http://soundcloud.com/radiorallymaniacs/21-11-cyril-despres

Cyril talking about prepping small details
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:47:05 am by N[]vA »
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Africamike

• aka Ventana
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • De Colores!!
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2012, 08:44:36 am »
Can't wait......
Rom 1:16

Offline Panne

• Race Dog
Re: Dakar 2013 (JUST 41 DAYS TO GO!!)
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2012, 03:06:54 pm »
More pics from KTM's final testing conducted in the south of France  :ricky:

Offline SpeedMetal

Re: Dakar 2013 (JUST 41 DAYS TO GO!!)
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »
Awesome pic of Riaan and Darryl
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:35:03 pm by SpeedMetal »
GODSPEED!