Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2013 (F5, F5, F5......)  (Read 57546 times)

Offline Minora

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Dakar 2013
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 09:30:41 am »
Bluebull...

You can also do the post rally coffee table book as deadly99 - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738327&page=96

We all know you have the writing skills and the pictures to justify it.

Please put me down for 1 in advance  :biggrin:
Ek weet nie wat hier aangaan nie, maar dis 'n moerse sukses!!!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:58 am »
Bluebull...

You can also do the post rally coffee table book as deadly99 - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738327&page=96

I have been in talks with him about one for the Dos Sertoes actually.

When I get round to the Dakar I would like to do one too.

About that: Man Im in such a stressed situation here. I know its open for application, but I dont have the funds yet. In the current markets its very tough as well.  :-\ I am just going to have to hang on a bit.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Minora

• Race Dog
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »
Bluebull...

I have been in talks with him about one for the Dos Sertoes actually.

When I get round to the Dakar I would like to do one too.

About that: Man Im in such a stressed situation here. I know its open for application, but I dont have the funds yet. In the current markets its very tough as well.  :-\ I am just going to have to hang on a bit.

Put me up for a Dos Sertoes as-well.  :thumleft: If you can manage to get this done, the funds can go towards next year and then the Dakar 2013 book can cover some of the outstanding expenses. And there are countless other Rally nutters (as yourself) on Adv Rider who would not think twice in ordering the book 

I can imagine the mixed feelings you are experiencing, and the big decisions that needs to be taken. My hope and prayers is that you will be in a position that you can fulfill your dream!

All i can say is:" GOOD LUCK"
Ek weet nie wat hier aangaan nie, maar dis 'n moerse sukses!!!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 06:31:34 pm »
Whether or not you get to Dakar next year or not, I reckon some of your ride reports are worth publishing in a book. Dos Sertoes is one, A n00b goes Rallye Racing from ADVRider.com is also brilliant.
Find a publisher and I'll place an order in advance. I'll even pay in advance if it helps.....

Offline domstes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 10:10:21 am »
I have completely lost interest in the Dakar rally. It is now the Dakar multi-day-enduro. Another tradition that has died.  :-\

What do you mean domstes??  Is this not what the Dakar is about, long daily stages, testing both man & machine, finally seperating the men from the boys and the machines from the toys?  Hate to see anyone or dog loosing interest in what I consider the ultimate offroad race in the world.

Go BlueBull - my support is there.  look forward to and would be a pleasure contributing to your efforts.

How can you test a machine when the engine is replaced every 3-4 days. Rallyes are highspeed section of gravel and mountain passes. Now it is enduro style stages linked together with 'liason' special stages. Don't get me wrong. I am sure it is still very, very tough, but I like the older style dakar stage a lot more.

My main issue is however just this. How can you call it an rally if the egines do not last the whole race!?

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 10:32:14 am »
Hi BB

Before you go may I meet you (hand shake, autograph & a dop saam)  :mwink:
I like most on the forum wish that I may one day be able to attempt the DAKAR. But in the meanwhile it will be awesome to say I know someone that did do it :biggrin:
Hope everything works out. :thumleft:
(As ek eendag groot is)

Offline Gat Slag

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 11:33:33 am »
 :happy1:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 04:53:00 pm »
I have completely lost interest in the Dakar rally. It is now the Dakar multi-day-enduro. Another tradition that has died.  :-\

What do you mean domstes??  Is this not what the Dakar is about, long daily stages, testing both man & machine, finally seperating the men from the boys and the machines from the toys?  Hate to see anyone or dog loosing interest in what I consider the ultimate offroad race in the world.

Go BlueBull - my support is there.  look forward to and would be a pleasure contributing to your efforts.

How can you test a machine when the engine is replaced every 3-4 days. Rallyes are highspeed section of gravel and mountain passes. Now it is enduro style stages linked together with 'liason' special stages. Don't get me wrong. I am sure it is still very, very tough, but I like the older style dakar stage a lot more.

My main issue is however just this. How can you call it an rally if the egines do not last the whole race!?

Actually there are surprising number of bikes that do make the whole trip on one engine. Its only the fancy fast guys who change their engines, and those that have a problem with theirs somewhere.
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline J-dog

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:05 pm »
re-phrase - most bikes make it on one engine.

(just not the ktm's)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 05:41:03 pm »
Here is an update on my attempt:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=89086.80

re-phrase - most bikes make it on one engine.

(just not the ktm's)

Hehe not true. A couple of guys on malle moto finished on one KTM engine

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 02:05:49 pm »
The new Bordone Ferrari

:drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Gaan haal die lappies voor jy kyk! Sex on wheels!!

The screen has been photoshopped

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:25:18 pm by Aquatic »
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 02:16:42 pm »
Lyk kak mal maar nog nooit van so iets gehoor nie. Maak my bietjie wys asb

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2012, 02:31:52 pm »
Lyk kak mal maar nog nooit van so iets gehoor nie. Maak my bietjie wys asb

They raced KTMs last year.

Two guys(Nicoletta Elisa Altieri Bordone and Renato Ferrari) with big wallets decided to start a team. And develope a bike.

Bid name riders - Viladoms and Chaleco

They have spent money on a promo team

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/e9KhtlSBoSg&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/e9KhtlSBoSg&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 05:13:54 am »
The new Bordone Ferrari

:drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Gaan haal die lappies voor jy kyk! Sex on wheels!!

The screen has been photoshopped

I think this has a lot of potential. It certainly looks sexy, but the nav. tower seems a little bit too high and delicate.

Not sure where they are going to squeeze in 32l of fuel either.

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2012, 06:03:21 am »
The Iti's have style - for sure. Overlay the SA flag on the same plane as the green, white and red lines also tapering it to the back, to give motion ..... Schweet.

Also think that 32l may be a problem with the current design unless you add width.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2012, 07:07:29 pm »
From www.dakar.com

After the South American, European and Asian stages, the Dakar Tour went to meet the riders and drivers of South Africa. Pioneers like Alfie Cox and Giniel De Villiers have inspired others in this part of the continent.

The date had been set for Johannesburg with the small South African delegation present on the Dakar 2012. In addition to the regulars who finished the event in January, such as Darryl Curtis, 22nd in the overall bike standings in Lima, the all-terrain world seized the opportunity to display its interest for the Dakar.

The visit of the Dakar Tour also allowed Xavier Gavory to collect not only signs of friendship but also many applications which should reinforce the South African presence on the rally: "For example, Darryl Curtis is planning on enrolling for 2013 with 2 young talented bikers," explains the head of the competitor relations department. "In both the bike and car categories, plenty of ambitious projects could see the light of day, in both 2013 and 2014. The South Africans, who have a strong and extensive bush culture, are major fans of all-terrain in general and the desert in particular". This observation was proved to be true during the entire week-end at Gaborone, in Botswana, where the Toyota Kalahari Botswana 1000 Desert Race, the main regional event in the discipline, took place. Duncan Vos, who drove his Toyota into 10th place on the last edition of the Dakar, was able to answer the often very technical questions asked by all those who are contemplating cutting their teeth on the Dakar. Amongst the applications, the rally may be welcoming a Zambian driver for the first time in 2013, giving the race an increasing international dimension.

DAKAR CHALLENGE -Verdict in Botswana

As part of the South African all-terrain championships, the community of rally enthusiasts came together in Botswana for the Toyota Kalahari Botswana 1000 Desert Race, which also hosted the first act of the Dakar Challenge. Behind Duncan Vos, leader of the general standings, Evan Hutchison and Dannie Stassen, winners of the Challenge, earned their place on the Dakar.

After a solid performance, the thrills were immense. In Botswana, the Toyota Kalahari Botswana 1000 Desert Race represents the biggest event organised each year. For the occasion, the media’s attention was totally focused on the battles that lit up the Kalahari Bush, where 200,000 spectators spent the week-end. Such a resounding success before so many spectators is already a prestigious feat, but this year, the stakes of the Dakar Challenge added further spice. Among the 23 crews enrolled for this "race within the race", it was Evan Hutchison, already South African champion last year, who stood out from the rest on the tracks: "I couldn’t think of anything better than winning this race in my category for the first time and simultaneously booking my ticket on the next Dakar. There is no doubt that I will be there". Whilst Hutchison and Stassen have shown themselves to be competitive, they now need to concentrate on their next challenge and begin by finding a vehicle that will enable them to start out from Lima with the utmost chances of reaching Santiago two weeks later. This is because the BAT Venom with which they beat all their rivals on conclusion of three days of a very tight struggle in Gaborone does not comply with the technical rules of the Dakar. However, with this new line added to his roll of honour, Hutchison now has all the cards in his hand to find a suitable set of wheels.

The podium for the first stage of the Dakar Challenge:
1. Evan Hutchison / Danie Stassen (BAT Venom)
2. Christiaan du Plooy / Henk Janse van Vuuren (BMW X3), 2’52’’ behind
3. Johan van Staden / Mike Lawrenson (BAT Spec 5), 3’44’’ behind
From 23rd to 28th July, the Dakar Challenge will continue in South America on the Desafio Litoral race. Two places on the Dakar 2013 (in the bike and car categories) are up for grabs.

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2012, 07:27:13 pm »
Its is official. Honda are returning to the Dakar as a factory team for the First time in many years. They are taking on 4 riders, The always smiling Hellder Rodriguez, My friend here from Dubai Sam Sunderland, Felipe Zanol and Javier Pizzolito.

May they all have an Awesome ride this Dakar!

http://world.honda.com/news/2012/c120702Dakar-Rally/index.html?from=r%3Ffrom%3Dfb
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2012, 08:23:44 pm »
Wow Helder Rodrigues? Thats a surprise.

Brazilian Felipe Zanol is going to do well next year, I hope he gets a top five.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:24:31 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Panne

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 08:59:48 am »
Only 148 more sleeps to the start of Dakar 2013!  :biggrin: :ricky:
"Daar is honde wat maar net hoef te knor. Dit is dié wat reeds tevore gewys het dat hulle kan byt." - C.J. Langenhoven