Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar 2013 (F5, F5, F5......)  (Read 47217 times)

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
Re: Dakar 2013 (F5, F5, F5......)
« Reply #3280 on: February 13, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »
I had a nice long Chat with my Mate James West last week about his attempt on the Dakar as well as his rally ending Excursion.

First off he reckons that the Sherco is an amazing bike. Nice and light with all the Carbon Fibre bits on it. There were some Issues that they had particularly with the Injectors and Fuel pump/s. He spent a lot of time removing the tanks and swopping out injectors. Thankfully they had sent them off with spare injectors. Big issues with Fuel quality. Seems like the KTM guys have figured this out already.

The most important thing he says is the riding terrain. He says it is very beautiful and awesome to ride and at times you cannot believe where you are, Sounds wonderful. It is easy for us to Finish the Dakar, The biggest problem is the Dust. He Spent 100 Km behind a quad on one day with no chance to overtake, As soon as he tried he starting hitting big rocks and then decided to sit in the dust for a little longer. BB the Guy you Spoke to theor about going fast in the conditions that you can see are very apt.

His crash was into anouther rider and this smashed all his tanks and he had no way of repairing the carbon fibre to hold enough fuel to get him through the 200 km of the Stage.

Sounds like he will ride for them again next year!

I cant Wait!

2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
Re: Dakar 2013
« Reply #3281 on: February 13, 2013, 02:30:28 pm »
There, I said it quickly.......    ::)

I think its a done deal. Mannnnne, ek's bang! Wat het ek gedoen??

Here is a sneak preview
She is a thing of beauty.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #3282 on: April 09, 2013, 01:03:24 pm »
Only 47 weeks to go until the next Dakar ::)

The shape of things to come?

My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #3283 on: April 09, 2013, 01:04:36 pm »
Taddy!

Offline Go Big

• Race Dog
« Reply #3284 on: April 15, 2013, 02:45:57 pm »
Although gifted he has a lot of work to do!
THE FASTER YOU GO THE MORE YOU SEE!!!

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #3285 on: April 15, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »
Taddy not in the Coma or du Preez league yet

Think Kurt Casseli has a better chance imho. He loves the sand and desert races ---
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #3286 on: April 15, 2013, 03:26:51 pm »
Taddy not in the Coma or du Preez league yet

Think Kurt Casseli has a better chance imho. He loves the sand and desert races ---

Watched Moto4 last week...Kurt Casseli shunts....He needs to get his navigation sorted.

Being a technical rider, Taddy needs to get his speed and navigation sorted, but, IMHO he is one of the penultimate riders out there, and if he puts his mind to it....   :ricky:

Offline alli

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Where to next?
« Reply #3287 on: April 16, 2013, 07:06:45 am »
Things will be interesting next year for the husky fans, Cyril Despres has left KTM and will in all likelihood be riding for team Husky.
Stefan Pierer, the owner of KTM has bought the brand from BMW.
Team KTM will be Coma,Casselli, Faria,Lopez.
Husky?.. Despres, ???
GONE INSANE.....BACK SOON

KLR650 & DR350S & XR600R

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #3288 on: April 16, 2013, 07:42:20 am »
Thought the rumours were Honda?  ???
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3289 on: April 16, 2013, 07:19:07 pm »
Yip the rumors are Honda or a car....
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #3290 on: April 16, 2013, 07:28:44 pm »
Thought the rumours were Honda?  ???

Also thought so  ???

Husky do not have a team nominated to ride the Dakar this year --speedbrain is no longer putting the Husky logo on their bikes  ;)
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline alli

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Where to next?
« Reply #3291 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:43 pm »
Taken from MCN:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/Off-road/2013/March/mar1313-despres-leaves-ktm/

Five time Dakar winner Cyril Despres has left KTM; the manufacturer he has ridden for the last 12 years.

During his time with the Austrian company he has enjoyed unprecedented success having finished on the Dakar podium a total of ten times.

Despres said: "I have spent a large part of my career to date with KTM, so as you can imagine it wasn’t a decision that was taken lightly.

"They were great years, very fruitful, both professionally and personally, and I owe much to everyone at KTM, especially the ‘boss’ Stefan Pierer, whose enthusiasm for the sport of rally-raid matches my own.

"I would also like to say a big ‘thank you’ to Heinz Kinigadner and Head of Motorsport Pit Beirer and everyone in the rally department. When I arrived it was run by the much missed Hans Trunkenpolz, who taught me how to develop a rally bike, and whose work is now being very ably continued by Stefan Huber.

"Finally, I say a very fond farewell to my factory mechanic throughout all that time, Roland Bruckner, and my support rider during the last four Dakars, Ruben Faria, who I wish all the best for the future.

"Although I say goodbye to all these people, I am sure I will be seeing many of them again very soon, as, with the continued support of my long-time partner Redbull, I will most definitely be staying in the sport.

"It is a little too early to give any more details, suffice to say I am extremely motivated by the new challenge I am about to embark on and look forward to giving you further details in the very near future."

Speculation over the 39 year old Frenchman’s future began last year with Despres widely tipped to be joining Honda’s new multi million pound Dakar effort. But following the news that KTM boss, Stefan Pierer has now taken ownership of Husqvarna from BMW a more logical step would be for Despres to ride for Husqvarna to continue to develop the already highly competitive brand in the world of Rally.

With Despres gone, KTM have revised their rider line-up with there time Dakar winner Marc Coma heading the charge. Coma and Despres have been team-mates and fierce rivals and the fact that the two men will now be riding for different manufacturers will make their future battles even more intriguing.

Coma will be joined by fast American Kurt Casseli who won a stage of the 2013 Dakar in his very first attempt on the event. 2013 Dakar runner-up Ruben Faria continues with the team with charismatic Chilean Francesco Lopez the fourth rider n the factory squad.
GONE INSANE.....BACK SOON

KLR650 & DR350S & XR600R

Offline Minora

• Race Dog
« Reply #3292 on: April 17, 2013, 07:57:07 am »
Ek weet nie wat hier aangaan nie, maar dis 'n moerse sukses!!!

Offline Dogboxelectric

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • SANI- So not done with Lesotho
« Reply #3293 on: April 17, 2013, 03:41:02 pm »
Also discussed here

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=119830.0

What was discussed there was that Cyril was leaving for honda.
Mesmerising stuff?!?
Honda XR650L 2011
Kawasaki Versys 650 2014