Leo and Friends at Sandstone Estate – Kalahari Sunrise.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
In 2008 I visited Sandtsone Estate for the first time, and we had an awesome time. See ride report here https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=16831.0
Their website: https://www.sandstone-estates.com/

When I received an e-mail early this year to say the event was happening again, I jumped at the opportunity and so did all my mates who are all kind of petrol heads.
Sandstone Estate is the property of Mr Wilfred Mole, apparently he is the big boss if Nokia SA. He has a passion for anything driven by steam and has a collection of ± 53 narrow gauge steam locomotives that roam his farm on a weekend like this as well as a collection of old tractors, cars and lately some military vehicles as well.
This year they are going to unveil the Kalahari, a new machine recently restored, with the events starting on Friday 23 Mar and ending on 1 April. Unfortunately we could not stay the entire week, so decided to go down for the weekend.

Saturday morning bright and early we left for the eastern freestate.

My office for the weekend, best time of day to ride a bike, this new ’12 Adv is really a pleasure to ride…..

IMG_4181_.jpg

Antonie was riding a XR650L which he is considering to buy for our July trip to Angola, as his Adv is too heavy for that purpose. All I can say this bike is very heavy on juice, yes I know it’s got running in jets and stuff, but 14 km/l is heavy no matter what you say.

IMG_4186_.jpg

Our group consisted of 18 people in all, and needless to sday, not everybody follows instructions, so in no time guys were advancing towards Kroonstad on three different routes. We eventually met up in Kroonstad where we had a quick breakfast.

IMG_4182_.jpg

I gave the okes a bit of an uittrap and hoped that in future they would wait for the person behind at a turn and then continued. The rest of the trip went surprisingly smooth, and despite a very shitty road between Senekal and Ficksburg we stopped at Sandstone Estate around 12 noon.
Soon we were settled and ready to explore the farm and all it had to offer. SO less talking ond more photos.

Jimmie blocked our way as we arrived, but eventually we could cross the track and continue to the camping site.

IMG_4199_.jpg

This man was having a warm hot day in this compartment

IMG_4201_.jpg

True to tradition we headed for some liquid refreshments and the “Kaap was Hollands”

IMG_4203_.jpg

Three generations of Fitsgerald’s, Patman with his father and son.

IMG_4204_.jpg

A selection of stunning photo’s in the restaurant….

IMG_4205_.jpg

IMG_4206_.jpg

Some stunning steam tractors……

IMG_4207_.jpg

IMG_4208_.jpg

I wonder if these are the same guys that built the McLaren race car

IMG_4209_.jpg

Then we moved to the more important matters

IMG_4212_.jpg

Narrow gauge tracks..

IMG_4216_.jpg

At 3pm we all boarder a train and set off on a route that would take us on the steepest incline for trains in the world. We had some refreshments and a good time was had by all..

IMG_4217_.jpg

IMG_4218_.jpg

We drove past some spectacular exhibits..

IMG_4221_.jpg

IMG_4222_.jpg

… of course the tip of my heart, still in mint condition.

IMG_4224_.jpg

Scenery shots..

IMG_4227_.jpg

IMG_4231_.jpg

IMG_4234_.jpg

IMG_4235_.jpg

Wilfred Mole and his son observing the proceedings followed by a bus full of European Steam heads with cameras

IMG_4239_.jpg

This engine was working hard up the mountain

IMG_4245_.jpg

IMG_4250_.jpg

Dis mos Mielies

IMG_4251_.jpg

Photo of the photographers

IMG_4254_.jpg

Heading for the steepest section

IMG_4259_.jpg

IMG_4264_.jpg

Then somehow the train managed to derail… well rather the front two wheels jumped off the track, not sure how or why. Of course by this time we were all in a very festive mood

IMG_4268_.jpg

Trouble makers

IMG_4269_.jpg

Sign on the old bus

IMG_4270_.jpg

……and the company that restored it to it’s former glory

IMG_4271_.jpg

The derailment

IMG_4275_.jpg

IMG_4276_.jpg

This wheel must be inside the track (the other side)

IMG_4280_.jpg

Interesting sign on Wilfred’s t-shirt

IMG_4283_.jpg

These okes arrived and in no time they had the train back on it track. A V shaped piece of metal was used to jump the wheels back in place as the train reversed

IMG_4284_.jpg

Soon we were ready to go, but had to walk a 100m or so for the train to get past the section where the track caused the derailment.

IMG_4288_.jpg

All this huffing and puffing chowed a lot of water so this tanker was brought to replenish the water tank on the train

IMG_4291_.jpg

Later afternoon with the setting son

IMG_4292_.jpg

Heading back to the Estate

IMG_4297_.jpg

IMG_4299_.jpg

IMG_4305_.jpg

Suddenly a Sherman tank appeared and raced us – the train lost badly

IMG_4310_.jpg

Then it was time to kuier some more

IMG_4318_.jpg

Our campsite early morning

IMG_4320_.jpg

Mint condition Willy’s

IMG_4322_.jpg

According to Wilfred, this single cylinder diesel motor will idle all day on 4 litres of diesel. Still running like clockwork

IMG_4323_.jpg

Few more sights and sounds of the Sandstone Estate

IMG_4330_.jpg

The farm is still fully functional

IMG_4333_.jpg

IMG_4334_.jpg

Don’t you just love a 16 valve motor, as long as it’s got 4 extra pistons

IMG_4336_.jpg

IMG_4337_.jpg

Classic Ford from way back

IMG_4338_.jpg

IMG_4339_.jpg

IMG_4340_.jpg

Steam truck

IMG_4341_.jpg

IMG_4342_.jpg

IMG_4350_.jpg

IMG_4353_.jpg

IMG_4360_.jpg

There are about 8 of these hangers full of classics

IMG_4361_.jpg

IMG_4362_.jpg

………..in all shapes and sizes

IMG_4363_.jpg

The train repair centre

IMG_4365_.jpg

IMG_4367_.jpg

Wilfred’s 1951 Land Rover Series 1, started at the first crank and run’s like clockwork….

IMG_4370_.jpg

Having served in the military for quite a while, my friends and I were asked to drive the military vehicles on an Ad Hoc parade

IMG_4372_.jpg

Excalibur longing for his days as a support trooper (Armour Infantryman)

IMG_4373_.jpg

The view from my seat behind very thick class

IMG_4375_.jpg

Running smoothly

IMG_4377_.jpg

Wilfred chatting to us – what a down to earth guy he is.

IMG_4380_.jpg

Everywhere photo’s were being taken

IMG_4381_.jpg

Just to confirm , I want one like this…….

IMG_4382_.jpg

Then it was Sunday lunch time and we had to head home past Clarens

IMG_4383_.jpg

At one of the Petro Ports we saw the Honda Honda DS bike. Awesome looking piece of machinery. Check those vario panniers

IMG_4384_.jpg

Shaft Drive

IMG_4386_.jpg

Side View

IMG_4387_.jpg

Unfortunately this place is not open to the public. Mr Mole says at his last open day several carburettors, coils and other priceless items were stolen off his exhibits. His Model T Ford had it headlight removed by some or other farker. You don’t just drive to your nearest Midas and go and collect another, so he no longer do open days to Jan Public.
Thanks to all the maats who joined. I had an awesome time. Glad we’re all back safe and had the chance to share in this unique event.