Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: India to posibly manufacture Husqvarna  (Read 955 times)

Offline TK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
India to posibly manufacture Husqvarna
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:51:57 pm »
 ???

The parent company of Husqvarna, BMW Motorrad, is reportedly considering moving its manufacturing operations to India

Is India the new Japan? More and more motorcycle (and car) companies are opening manufacturing plants in India to keep costs down and increase output -- and the latest company considering a move to the sub-continent is Husqvarna.

A report filed by the German edition of the Financial Times reveals that Husqvarna's owner, BMW, is considering moving production of the Italo-Swedish motorcycle brand to India.

While the move is only a consideration at this stage, BMW Motorrad head honcho Hendrik von Kuenheim will make the final call. But it is looking likely to be a case of when, rather than if.

There are already several companies manufacturing motorcycles in India that are sold in Europe, such as KTM and Honda, and Husqvarna has obviously done its financial calculations and is now eyeing off the Indian market.

As well as selling Indian-built products globally, if Husqvarna partnered with an established Indian brand (as KTM does with Bajaj for the small capacity Duke models) it would be exposed to a massive number of bike buyers. However because Indian riders prefer small capacity motorcycles there is potential for a compact street bike from the Euro brand - perhaps a Nuda 250.

Global sales of the Swedish brand were down in 2011 compared to the year before as the company suffered the same fortunes as many of its competitors in what has been a difficult period for motorcycle sales. Therefore BMW will be keen to reduce costs where it can, and a move of manufacturing to India wouldn't hurt.

Read the latest Bikesales Network news and reviews on your mobile, iPhone or PDA at the Bikesales Network's mobile site. Or download the all-new App.

Published : Friday, 17 February 2012

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
Re: India to posibly manufacture Husqvarna
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:14:41 pm »
India + China = 3rd of the world's population, eager to work for nothing.
These are dire times.

Offline ahlbebuck

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:23 pm »
I for one will have no problem with the bikes being made in India. I have a lot of respect for Indians - some of the highest educated people on earth. As proof just look at the teaching staff at the world's top engineering universities.....

I'd definitely prefer my bike to be built by a trained Indian engineer than a German skinhead!  :mwink:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:16 pm »
I for one will have no problem with the bikes being made in India. I have a lot of respect for Indians - some of the highest educated people on earth. As proof just look at the teaching staff at the world's top engineering universities.....

I'd definitely prefer my bike to be built by a trained Indian engineer than a German skinhead!  :mwink:
Dude I seriously doubt an engineer with university degree will be building the bikes, more like a labourer earning a minimum wage per hour. Italy likes long lunches and some good red wine. This happened to the F650's as well many years ago whe the Germans were not happy with quality control and moved their operations to Austria or Germany. I feel it's a shame, yes Italians take more time but fark no other country can produce beauties like this ....

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:50:15 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline ahlbebuck

• G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 11:09:21 pm »
Sidetrack, of course you are right but if you knew a bit about the Indian situation, you will find that a lot of highly qualified people there are unemployed and they have no problem in doing simple work to survive. So it is not unlikely that an engineer could work in production there.

All those pics are nice, but sorry, to me that Alfa is just plain ugly!  :mwink:

Oh and I ride the 650 BMW made by Aprillia, so I can appreciate what you say....

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:46:08 pm »

All those pics are nice, but sorry, to me that Alfa is just plain ugly!  :mwink:

:o Sacrilege  :biggrin:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 06:50:40 am »

:o Sacrilege  :biggrin:

+1

Virtually every Alfa off the line these days is beautiful, and that 4C is gorgeous!

As for production in India.

I dont really care, if it brings down the price and has German quality control.   Its the design that counts!  Just wish the Germans could make up their mind on what they want from Husky thats all.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 06:55:39 am »

I dont really care, if it brings down the price and has German quality control.   Its the design that counts!  Just wish the Germans could make up their mind on what they want from Husky thats all.

Like that will ever happen  ;D

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:03:40 am »
Sidetrack, of course you are right but if you knew a bit about the Indian situation, you will find that a lot of highly qualified people there are unemployed and they have no problem in doing simple work to survive. So it is not unlikely that an engineer could work in production there.
These days, building bikes is about assembly of outsourced components.
The world, including Japan, China, Korea, Thailand etc are making the very frames that are aluded above,
and they are merely assembled in a factory where labour rates are advantageous and quality is manageable.
India has over one billion people. 
They have more than enough qualiified people to build a few thousand Huskies every year...
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:11:27 am »
I would not be surprised to hear of TATA adding BMW to their acquisitions shortly. Probably the fastest growing vehicle manufacturer in the world at the moment outside China. :pot:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 07:41:33 pm »

Oh and I ride the 650 BMW made by Aprillia, so I can appreciate what you say....

:eek7:? I used to have a F650 ... to the best of my knowledge never made by Aprilia ... yes the Rotax engine was Austrian (now made in China for BMW by Loncin  ???) and the Funduro was based on the Aprillia Pegasso... (but one less valve if I recall) but made by Aprilia not so sure?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 07:50:08 pm »

:eek7:? I used to have a F650 ... to the best of my knowledge never made by Aprilia ... yes the Rotax engine was Austrian (now made in China for BMW by Loncin  ???) and the Funduro was based on the Aprillia Pegasso... (but one less valve if I recall) but made by Aprilia not so sure?
I think BMW had a factory in Italy that built them, then moved to Germany. Don't think Aprillia was invloved
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline ahlbebuck

• G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 07:58:24 pm »

I think BMW had a factory in Italy that built them, then moved to Germany. Don't think Aprillia was invloved

Have a look under a XChallenge seat. The Aprillia name is on some of the plastics....

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 09:34:14 pm »
Ja may have made a few outsourced parts - can also find Acerbis, Touratech etc parts on BMW's ...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 09:49:31 pm »
Tata, Mahindra, Royal Enfield, and a good many other Indian marques are already competing on the world stage, but I really hope that Husky is going to find some more upmarket Indians to do their  bikes, the finish and quality on the Tta and Mahindra it is not so good......
India and China both have the good fortune to have huge masses of locals to buy their goods, the West are still justifiably wary of the Indian product. So when someone tells you that  some or other Indian or Chinese company are fast growing to be one of the biggest in the world, just remember that they have not earned their stature by selling to the demanding West, like the Japanese has.
BMW seems to have a lot of trust in the Indians and Chinese. Or is the inflated profit after cheap labour just too attractive?

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 06:53:28 am »
Wait boet - these countries are no sleeping tigers! No developing 'dark continents'. Within our life times still these countries will be mega powers especially if they take a few lessons from the Japs. A hungry labour force with a genuine work ethic and a pride in nationhood and patriotism coupled with VISIONARY MATURE HONEST POLITICAL LEADERSHIP is what is required IMHO. Ching Ching An all an all.  :3some:

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 08:24:49 am »
The factory was Aprillia and they built the Pegaso under their brand, same frame and engine as the BMW but with diffrent brandings.

Here is some of the history behind the Funduro/Pegaso joint venture.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/prof_review.asp?code=32
"Both machines are, if not true siblings, at least first cousins. Indeed, seldom do we get two more similar motorcycles to test than this duo. As part of a cooperative business venture, BMW developed the F650 (originally called the Funduro) jointly with the other motorcycle manufacturer in this test, Aprilia S.p.A. of Italy. Both motorcycles are powered by a Bombardier-Rotax single, made in Gunskirchen, Austria, but have slightly different specs. "