My Port Elizabeth and Roundabouts (19/5/13)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard

Teelhond
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 900 Scrambler
I lived here all my life (OK, went to school in Despatch) and I love this town. I could probably have moved to one of the bigger cities years ago, if I had wanted to make more money, but I was not prepared to give up my serenity and quality of life.

Ride with me and come and enjoy what I hope to be an extended trip through my pretty town, where we live a real laid back life (and ride bike as much as possible).

I often just cruise around for the shear pleasure riding a bike gives me, taking the scenic routes to work and back,… or just riding. I see pretty things and now that I have a camera I take pictures (hoping also in the process to learn how to actually do it)

As usual when I ride there’s not much of a plan with this trip, just random pics as I go along. I hope you enjoy it with me.

PE lies on the Northern side of a peninsula engulfing Mandela Bay and capped by Cape Receife.

The light-house.

Interestingly(provided I remember my high school geography correctly) the same piece of rock that makes up Table Mountain, forms the cape.

Maitlands lies on the Southern side of the peninsula. Occasionally, when I get home from work, my head makes a noise and to clear it I take a ride around and cruise back through the Theesecombe hills. It’s about a 50km round trip and a real pleasure to do.

The view from the Mailand Hill towards Jeffrey’s.

Hobie Beach lies on the bay. I regularly cruise around Marine Drive, which circles the peninsula, and end up here for an ice-cream(there sits SWAMBO, on this occasion, enjoying a ride with me). You also see Sharkrock Pier.

On the same ride along Marine Drive you get to Schoenmakerkop, a little sea side hamlet. There is the Sacremento restaurant where I would get a cup of coffee and go sit by the see to ponder things.

Here though is Lyn again, gracing the picture. View to the South.

In Winter I come and sit here and watch the whales.

That's our ride for the day. Tomorrow I'll take you along the Bakens Valley and to Swartkops.