Getting Aux Plugs up and working on my GSA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Sooo,
As I'm busy pimping\cleaning\blinging up my newly acquired 1200 GSA, I decided to get the Aux Plugs up and working properly. I have discovered 2 of them, one up on the fairing on the left hand side, and the 2nd down under my seat. The top unit is dead as a dodo, the bottom jack only works while the Ignition is on.. I suppose there's a reason for that, but in the case of say, running a 12 Volt Blower or say, wanting an access point to plug in a trickle charger, that makes no sense.

So I started tracing the cabling.. I pulled off the left hand side lower plastic cover and found the original cable harness feeding that jack up on the fairing.. It has another two similar type BMW plugs on it, and thats all.. Nothing to plug it into, and nothing coming from the battery.. Just the end of that harness, neatly coilded up, and cable tied up..  :eek7: Like thats REALLY gonna work..

So, stop effing around.. Side cutters, cut off both BMW Plugs, pake 100% certain circuit isn't going into any other components etc.. Got the two brown wires, and joined them up, and then got the two Green and red wires and joined them up, terminated them both with round boltable "hole through the middle" terminators, and then screwed the screws out the Battery terminals, through these colour coded terminals, and reconnected to the Battery.

Got my 12 Volt Blower and connected it to the one Jack Plug I bought.. Under the Seat, works 100% when Ignition is on, and jack on the fairing works directly to the Battery. Although I'd prefer them the other way round, ie: the ignition controlled jack plug up on the fairing, and the straight through Jack under the seat, for now its cool, I can plug the bike into a trickle charger without having to remove the seat etc, and if and when I do go for an overnight camp, I can plug in my blower and blow up the matras no problem.

Handy to have these ext jacks..  :thumleft:

Alan