Right Around Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorust

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Please bare with me - I need to give through a lot of info in my initial post, so it might contain quite a bit of writing.

To start off: The intro ---->

I am launching on Sat 7 April '12, from Cape Agulhas, to ride around Africa. I'd like to know if any members that are in Cape Town would like to ride out with me on the first day? Or maybe even the first leg of the trip up to Namibia? I'll be following the N7 up to the Namibian border. All are very welcome and I'd love it if you could join me.

Sat, 7 April '12, Cape Agulhas @ 10:00 am. Please let me know if you'd be interested.  

I did introduce myself, so will just give the rundown of who I am and what I'm doing again here:

My name is Jolandie Rust. Everyone knows me as Jo.

I currently live in the City of Gold. Good old Jozi.
I'm an adventurer at heart and will be launching (or rather re-launching) on a little adventure in a few weeks time.  

I started out on a bicycle, pedaling all over the place. The BIG dream has always been to be the first woman to ride all the way around Africa, solo. After years of planning I finally got to launch from Cape Town, last year April. (2011) I made it to Northern Angola, where 4 young inebriated, French speaking fellas decided to relieve me of my bike and most of my gear. By way of flinging around their machetes and knives.

So now I'm starting over again and putting a bit more muscle into it. By way of a BMW Dakar.  
I have a Kawasaki KLR 650. Though it's engine seized at 5000 km's. It's currently being fixed. I was going to make my merry way around Africa on that, but have decided on a different approach. Hence the Dakar.  

My launch date is set for 7 April '12, from Cape Agulhas. From here I will make my way up the West Coast of Africa, entering Namibia first, then Angola, DRC, Congo, Gabon etc etc.
I will be traveling through 33 African countries, covering a total distance of almost 40 000 kilometers over 11/12 months.

Amongst some of the things I will be doing on the trip will be promoting women in motorcycling and road safety as FIM-Africa (Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme) ambassador. I will be taking part in two rallies in Morocco in October. The rallies will serve as preparation for the Dakar Rally 2014.

So yeh, that's me. Big dreams, big goals...bit of a crazy nut.  

Looking forward to sharing my experiences. I'm sure there are bound to be some interesting ones.  

My website: www.jorust.com

How this RR will be structured --->

This report will be structured - 'country specific'. There will be a table beneath. This table will contain country specific reports and the pages you will find them on. I'll update the table as I go along. Just to make it a little easier to find info and more structured.

Country specific page layout can be found below[color]

The Route:

South Africa --- (Page 1 - 4)
Namibia --- (Page 5  )
Angola --- (Page 7 - 9)
DRC
Congo --- (Page 10 - 12)
Gabon --- (Page 14 - 16)
Cameroon --- (Page 16)
Nigeria --- (Page 16 - 17)
Benin --- (Page 17)
Togo --- (Page 17)
Ghana --- (Page 17)
Ivory Coast --- (Page 17 - 20)
Mali --- (Page 20 - 28)
Senegal --- (Page 28)
Mauritania --- (Page 28)
Morocco --- (Page 30 - 55 )

GPS Route log on page 47 & 48 - SA to Morocco

Spain  --- (Page 55 - 56)
France  --- (Page 56)
Italy  --- (Page 56)
Algeria
Tunisia  --- (Page 58)
Libya
Egypt
Sudan
Ethiopia
Kenya
Tanzania
Mozambique
South Africa

The Mileage:

Approximately 40 000 kilometers.

The timeline:

Approximately 10 - 12 months

So....I look forward to sharing my journey with you all. Feel free to contact me at any time. Please bare in mind that I will be disappearing into the bundus at times and won't always be able to reply right away. But I'll do my best to keep you all updated and post regular updates on where I'm at and what's happening. Please visit my website for more info. www.jorust.com

:thumleft: :ricky: :thumleft: :ricky: :thumleft: :ricky: :thumleft: :ricky: