Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding South America - any experience  (Read 7413 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
Riding South America - any experience
« on: April 04, 2012, 09:12:50 pm »
It has been a while since I thought of this but it is still on my bucket list, I was thinking 2014.

Does anyone have any experience riding through South America

Some of the basic things I need to start to find out is

1) Route, north to south or south to north.. east coast, west coast? I am not looking to go through the path least travelled by..
2) I would rather buy a bike there and resell it, how do you go about finding a reputable dealer who you can source a bike from and kit it out, or possibly rental, no tour operators if at all possible. Anyone know any overlanding companies?
3) What paperwork is needed.. visas etc ?
4) How expensive is it to travel through the continent what kind of travelling budget for food, petrol, accomodation etc?
5) What part of the year is a good time to go, fair weather riding?

and anything else you can think of

Muz
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Aprilian

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • 1200 BMX
Re: Riding South America - any experience
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:50:00 am »
Ping Nardus and Blue Bull- both have recent experience in this regard.
Surely if I was obsessed with motorcycles I’d have more than one; no two; no three; no no, four… ah, never mind…

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 11:22:30 am »
Yeah I have sent a mail or 2

It is a daunting task to plan.. I am not sure where to start, riding through Africa is easy.. just get on a bike with some luggage and go, now I find myself staring at a map  ??? ??? not even sure where I should fly to as a start. This is very early planning stages and just a dream at the moment.. 2014 is the goal.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline superten

• has a magnificent
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • ...XTZ 750 Super Tenere
    • the seals of nam
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 11:43:23 am »
Read about the place, see which places interest you. Remember that the Andes, a rather large mountain range runs through it.

A few of my favorite places:Andes-Colonia(uruguay)-Buenos Aires-Tambopata rain forest(Peru)-Ushuaia(Argentina)-Chilean wine estates-Curitiba(Brazil). To give you a rough idea of climate,Uruguay is on the same latitude as S.A.-similar climate.
It is time.

Offline Pumbaa

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 04:07:06 pm »
It has been a while since I thought of this but it is still on my bucket list, I was thinking 2014.

Does anyone have any experience riding through South America

Some of the basic things I need to start to find out is

1) Route, north to south or south to north.. east coast, west coast? I am not looking to go through the path least travelled by..
2) I would rather buy a bike there and resell it, how do you go about finding a reputable dealer who you can source a bike from and kit it out, or possibly rental, no tour operators if at all possible. Anyone know any overlanding companies?
4) How expensive is it to travel through the continent what kind of travelling budget for food, petrol, accomodation etc?

and anything else you can think of

Muz

This place is your friend...
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

South America is surprizingly expensive...some countries obviously not too bad, but I think a realistic spending budget will be at least US$50 a day...probably a bit more.

Planning isn't so bad, as long as you plan in stages.  When we planned our 70k km trip from Oz to Cpt, the biggest thing was visas, especially in central asia and paperwork.

All we decided was the countries we wanted to go to in terms of routes and that was about it.  If we knew there was a specific place we wnated to see in a country, then we'll make sure our route goes past that.  That was the amount of detail we had on our route.

We are busy 'planning' our next trip which will be on bicycles travelling about 20k-25k km over a year or so.  Again, we know what countries we want to go to and we'll look at visas, jabs etc and that's about it.

The way we budget for a trip is based on what we spend per day living at home, especially food.  try and work out how often (if at all) you want to camp, eg 50% of the time, but in your budget assume you'll only camp 25% of the time.  Try to build a contingency of 20% or so into your daily budget.  That way if you under estimated costs, you would be kinda ok.  If not, then you have some spare cash when you get back, or you can go a bit longer.

PM me if you have spcific questions, I won't be able to help with detailed costs for south america, but might be able to help with other questions you have...

if you feel like you need some inspiration or motivation, have a look at our site
seeyouwhenwegetthere.com

Exciting stuff, you'll regret it if you don't follow your dreams.  After all, what's the point of dreaming of something if you know you won't do it... :peepwall:
Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline superten

• has a magnificent
    • the seals of nam
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 05:45:32 pm »
horizons unlimited is fantastic!

I lived in South America for 5 years-so I can answer a few questions if you have any.
It is time.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 07:19:48 pm »
Pumbaa thanks fot the point in the right direction, Superten, I am sure we will hook up at a bash, for drinks or at the Quarry and we will chat soon.. thanks a mil  :thumleft:

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:20:54 am »
Been a couple of years but "been there, done that"

To answer your questions:
1 Route, too many to list but I would suggest the west side if you do not have time to do all, best to check the blogs on Horizons Unlimited (mine is horizonsunlimted.com/tstories/thode"  you will need to go to archives and go back to '08 '09)
2) All countries in South America have high import tax and rules that make if problematic to buy in SA then travel. If you plan to ride to the USA my suggestion would be to buy here (cheapest place in the world to buy a bike) then ship it back here to sell or ship home or sell to someone from USA that want to ride it home.  Still best alternative is to ship in your own bike and ship it home again. 
3) Visa requirements will be different depending on which country you are from.  For me (US citizen) I needed a visa for Brazil and Paraguay.
4) Cost are dependent on two major factors, how fast you are traveling and how extravagant you are. The more time you have means less on fuel every day and you can take the time to find the good cheap places to stay.  I think you best plan on $100 a day.
5) The time of year varies as to where you want to go but if you want to go all the way south it should be planned for December or January so you won't freeze the tail off and the winds across the Patagonia will generally be the lowest (100kph all day everyday and that is in the good season)

There are some key places where moto travelers meet up such as Dakar Motos in BA, check the blogs and note these. That is where you will get the best up to date info.

One more thing that is important but done poorly by me and many others, learn as much Spanish as you can it will add greatly to the experience. South America should be on everyone's bucket list, it is a wonderful part of the world.

Be sure to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Bob :ricky:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline superten

• has a magnificent
    • the seals of nam
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:09:23 am »
I can teach you how to say'joumasep**s' in spanish....
It is time.

Offline Dirt Junkie

• I talk less and ride more than a
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34:07 am »
This might help a bit
http://nomi-beto-adventures.blogspot.com/
Somewhere in Peru check the site for more info
Something to think about...
When you complain, you make yourself a victim. Leave the situation, change the situation, or accept your it. All else is madness.

KTM 640 adv,  Aprilia RS 250, Yamaha YZ450F, 2014 KTM 690, 2010 KTM 690R, 2011 BMW F800GS, Yamaha XT600E , 2012 KTM 250 SX-F , KTM 400 EXC, Kawasaki  KLR650, Honda 125 estorm

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:08 am »
 :o :o

That is what I am talking about

Thanks for the advise, I will start researching this all over the next few months, trip only planned for 2014, if there is anyone else planning a similar ride let me know, I'm not keen to go solo but I will if I have to, I did Africa with a mate and it was harder in some ways but easier in others, overall riding in 2 or 3 is my preferred way of travelling.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:58:25 am by Fuzzy Muzzy »

Offline Nardus

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Njam-Njum
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 02:07:12 pm »
PM Metaljockey, him and his wife rode around Central America. I only went to Argentina.
Let the snake slide and the lizzard slither and LET IT BE !

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 10:12:15 am »
Any info on Argentina would be appreciated, I would love to include it.

Offline yANNIS

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPTHJ8BbB8
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 11:23:49 am »
i passed one year in all south america in 2010/2011

i came from france by ship until buenos aires (one month trip) and i went until Venezuela, passing by Chili Bolivia, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador...

bikes are very expensive there, more than 35000$ (in all countrys)

lot of things to say, perheaps we could meet

see you

http://americadelsur2010moto.centerblog.net/

yannis

Modderfontein
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:24:30 am by yANNIS »

Offline Scooby-doo

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 02:43:52 pm »
All I can say was that it was an experience, there we were 4 boertjies in Peru. We went over the Andes and into the Amazon basin. We had a guide to help us with the language barrier. The pictures do not even begin to capture the feeling when you go round bend after bend deeper and deeper into the forest. Navigating a single 2 track road that is the only way in or out, they have specific days for the traffic to move in and then the following day for going out again. Crossing the rivers where the most exciting bit of it all. During a hot humid day there is nothing better than nice refreshing water to cool you down. Do not swim in it there is all sorts of nasty stuff in there that make you itch for day’s, do not ask.  Did we fall down, fall sick, guide get sick, loose the guide and launch a search party for the guide, repaired plenty tyres? Yes to all of the above, and worth every single minute of it. I have a small word of advice, if you are vertically challenger like me, do not take the biggest bike you can ride. But rather the biggest bike you can pull out or guide through a big pool of mud, pick up inside a raging river and most of all be able to shelter under during the raining season. So much fun, it is a must for every adventure rider.
Ride like you stole it, DILLIGAF.

Offline YamaV

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:51:21 pm »
All I can say was that it was an experience, there we were 4 boertjies in Peru. We went over the Andes and into the Amazon basin. We had a guide to help us with the language barrier. The pictures do not even begin to capture the feeling when you go round bend after bend deeper and deeper into the forest. Navigating a single 2 track road that is the only way in or out, they have specific days for the traffic to move in and then the following day for going out again. Crossing the rivers where the most exciting bit of it all. During a hot humid day there is nothing better than nice refreshing water to cool you down. Do not swim in it there is all sorts of nasty stuff in there that make you itch for day’s, do not ask.  Did we fall down, fall sick, guide get sick, loose the guide and launch a search party for the guide, repaired plenty tyres? Yes to all of the above, and worth every single minute of it. I have a small word of advice, if you are vertically challenger like me, do not take the biggest bike you can ride. But rather the biggest bike you can pull out or guide through a big pool of mud, pick up inside a raging river and most of all be able to shelter under during the raining season. So much fun, it is a must for every adventure rider.

respect!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:54:31 pm »
Thanks for the info guys, I am trying to get as much info as possible,

It is my dream to ride South America.. top of the Bucket list

Yannis / Scooby-Doo, if you are ever in the Cape region please let me know and we can hook up with some maps

Muz

Offline Japeda

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 10:27:27 pm »
I've lived in Arg for a year and done some motorbike traveling especially in the North Eastern parts.
I think a South to North route is the only real way to see it as the americas' axis is as such and offers an incredible range of climates, even just in Argentina. I'd say, ship your bike to patagonia, fly to Buenos Aires, enjoy a week of meat and women and parties and soccer, then meet your bike down south and head up from there either along the andes and chile or through the wine countries of middle argentina.
If natural beauty is what you're keen on patagonia is like nowhere else, and fishing and camping and hiking is at it's best there (be sure to be there in summertime). Then the middle (mendoza) is wine fields and gauchos and horses galore, and up into subtropical climates and beautiful argentine girls, soccer, and cosmopolitan buenos aires, then northern argentina's tropical, red earth and green trees. Definitely check out Iguazu falls on the border of brazil and argentina, but here you make the decision of traveling in uruguay (a really wonderful country)  and brazil's coastline up through bizarre french speaking countries and into central america, or cutting back west into the more diverse countries of paraguay, peru, bolivia, ecuador, etc. Basically the amazon forest and river systems act as a huge impassible barrier so you'd have to pick a side to travel. There's probably more to see (or at least things that are seen more) taking the western route but I imagine Brazil in 2014 is not a bad place to be as the world cup is there in the summer and 2016 holds the olympics. Should be a solid two years of partying, especially if they bring the world cup back to their homeland.

In terms of acquiring a bike, try to bring one there I assume. I have no experience of such, but had a terrible experience trying to buy one there. Basically I spent about three weeks building a motorcycle that I bought from a friend of a friend in boxes (not terribly hard to find parts there), and then 6 weeks getting lost in bureaucratic oblivion running around for entire days trying to get it registered, licensed, etc. before being able to take it outside of the province without them taking it in an instant and forever. Talk about wasting valuable traveling time.
I imagine buying it from a dealership would be much easier and quicker, and keep in mind that there are people who you can employ just to follow the bureaucratic steps to register a vehicle who are DEFINITELY worth the money. Problem is a good enduro bike like a GS or any dual sport is expensive there. probably 90% of their bikes are 250cc or less. They recently passed laws requiring helmets in all provinces.

But south america is wonderful, the asado (braii) is delicious, the women even more so, the rugby and soccer high quality, and people are generally very friendly if you are to them. I have many good friends in the area (especially northern argentina and southern brazil) so please PM me if you have further questions or want contact info on places to stay. And I'm planning on being in the area and doing a similar cruise towards the end of 2013/ beginning of 2014 so I'll try to follow your plans and maybe we'll meet up.
Also, the *southernmost to northernmost of the americas* of ushuaia (tierra del fuego) to Alaska is a very well traveled route amongst bikers so I'm sure advrider has some good rrs and info for you if you end up taking the S to N approach.

cheers,
jebb
Liam and me...

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 08:23:11 am »
Jebb.. awesome 1st hand information

I will send you a PM

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 10:38:03 pm »
Picked up my spanish cd's yesterday.. it may only be a bucket list entry but forutne favours the brave.