Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding South America - any experience  (Read 7398 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
Re: Riding South America - any experience
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:01 pm »
looking at routes a south to north route is just far too long and far, it will take months to do it, so I was thinging of going from Lima to Rio de Janeiro then by hook or by crook making my way down to Patagonia.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Halfadog

• Bike: BMW F800GS
    • The Great American Trek
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 02:21:32 pm »
Howzit! So glad I found this thread, also planning a trip from Argentina to Alaska in 2014- huge mission. I have been to South America before, but not on bike. Planning a South to North journey after shipping my bike to BA- I think the admin with buying a motorcycle and registering it in a foreign country, in foreign currency and in a foreign language is just too much for my brain. I have done a fair amount of research on the trip, and learning more every day.

So... Fuzzy Muzzy- if you're interested we can keep in touch, share ideas and maybe ride together for part of the trip, will also be in touch with all the guys on the thread with experience- thread FOLLOWED! Yeah!  :headbang:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 03:19:32 pm »
Yeah, my budget took a knock for the worst towards the end of last year so I don't think I will be going anymore unless I win the lotto, buthappy to keep on planning.. I can always hit the bank manager for a loan  :laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 06:53:20 pm »
I hear you, end of last year was a scary one for me too- Well it costs nothing to dream-

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 07:04:36 pm »
for sure, riding South America is a dream i will not give up easily on.

Do you have any ideas of route etc. My biggest question is weather or not to ship a bike there or to buy one there.

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:13 pm »
Ja, Ive planned a loose route from BA down south to the glaciers and then up the west coast to panama, still have to plan for central America, the route took a while to plan, but its pretty decent, with lots of riding through national parks and wilderness. Its similar to what most of the guys have been doing that Ive talked to. I reckon you just need to know what places you want to go through and what highlights you want to see, in-between is adventure. We plan on camping the majority of the way, which lands up very cheap in remote areas.

About the bike issue- I'm going to ship mine across, with all the extra equipment and mods. Having to go through all of the bureaucracy and stuff with foreign currency in a foreign language just seems like too much of a headache. There's two of us going, so that halves the price of shipping at least, when we have a date I'm just going to post it on the forum on the off chance that someone wants to share a container.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 01:17:22 am »
Howzit okes. Well when you get to Lima, you know who to pm :)  :deal:

I will add that you should stay away form the Pan American (in Peru/Chile)/Ruta 40 in Argentina, because frankly its boring tar.

You want to take the roads in the mountains, following the Andes for a real adventure.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 01:24:24 am »
This might help a bit
http://nomi-beto-adventures.blogspot.com/
Somewhere in Peru check the site for more info

There is plenty of this stuff all over Peru. Remember rainy season is Oct-Feb, so be prepared to ride wet in temperatures down to -15. The rest of the time should be hot though, becausey you change altitude so often. Also if youre coming in the rainy season fine, but get an early start to the day as most afternoons are much wetter.

If you want some cool routes from Northern Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, Brazil and Ecuador, ping me on this thread or PM.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Online mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 05:37:13 am »
Fuzzy, this may help or they may help too http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=113826.0
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 12:49:36 pm »
Just when I thought this dream was on a very top shelf, here I go and get all excited again

Halfadog.. how long were you thinking of going for and more or less the time of the year?

If I had to go and I had to ship a bike I would have to do it on my Transalp, I think it would be a great bike for the trip.

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 05:44:43 pm »
I'm planning for 9-12 months, thereabouts, basically until the money runs out. But that would be all the way up to Alaska. So with that time frame in mind I reckon maybe May, more or less, as I don't want to land up in Alaska in the winter. I'm also just going to mod-up my bike and ship it, its an f800, which means a new seat would probably be a good idea-

@Bluebull2007- Thanks man! I am going to take you up on that offer!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 09:07:00 pm »
woah.. that is a long time. I was thinking more like 3 months max. At a year you will not even need to plan, just go with the flow.

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 02:30:19 pm »
It is a long time- but that's for North and South America. It does allow you to go with the flow a bit- exactly what I'm looking for- if we like it: we stay for a while, if we don't: we move on, someone suggests somewhere else along the way: check it out.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 03:22:10 pm »
Thta is the best way.

When we rode to Dar my mate went to Dar and back in 26 days, we did it in 59 days  :laughing4: . Sometimes snails pace is the best pace.

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 11:10:23 am »
So! After a long time planning this is finally coming together, we have arranged the big trip (called "The Great American Trek")  :lol8: So its definitely going to happen, and even better: its happening for charity, even got some great sponsors and media on board already. Ive posted a few more details in http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?board=12.0 - we would love to hear any comments, suggestions or help - About time we got the Wild Dogs involved!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2014, 10:39:53 pm »
All I can say is 'take me with you'  :laughing4:

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 06:07:27 am »
If you make it all the way to Alaska you will come through the state of Washington, be sure to let me know and maybe I can ride a ways with you. Have a place for you to stay and a shop to work on your ride.
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 07:29:28 pm »
Fantastic offer - Thanks very much Bob, I'm going to take you up on that one :thumleft:

Offline Halfadog

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 07:35:08 pm »
All I can say is 'take me with you'  :laughing4:
Well if you're still interested in riding and budget permits, it would be great to share the road!

Offline 3Drink

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 07:59:46 pm »
I met this guy in Uyuni, Bolivia. If you can get hold of him then Im sure he will have more than a couple of tips to hand out.

http://hondavstheworld.com/

:ricky:
Its only funny until somebody gets hurt, then its freaking hilarious.