KTM 640 Adv: Cheap R300.00 starter fix.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doerengone

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
I have a 2007 KTM 640 Adv, with some 40,000km on the clock, and a sick starter.

When I pressed the starter button, the relay just  clicked, but would not turn over the motor. I checked the battery, recharged it, etc etc. Came to the conclusion that the starter needed new brushes. However, KTM only replace starters at R4,500. No brush kits are available from KTM. Eina.

So, after some googling, I got a brush kit from the local Honda dealer, at a cost of R300. Fitted same .......and my lovely burst back into life at the first push of the button.

Details: The starter kit is from a 1987 Honda CBR600, which is a perfect fit. (Get both the packet with the backing plate with one brush in, plus the second packet  with the second brush and the attached electrical feed bolt) Then fit the two parts to the starter. Part numbers on the two packets of parts are: 31206-MN4-008 for the backing plate, and 31201-KS5-901 for the single brush.

If further details of the fitment process is required, check on ADV Rider under thumpers, starter fix/replacement thread.

Cheers.