Tradouws Pass, Garcia Pass & Gysmanshoek

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliknêrs

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Due to family commitments and budget constraints, longer trips have not been on the cards lately but we took a couple of shorter rides the last month or so. As always dirt and the Klein Karoo is first on the list!

The area between Barrydale and Ladismith has had some rain and it stunning. Knowing we have to make the best of the last couple of days of warmer weather, and with cold fronts approaching, I could feel the pressure and bike calling me whenever I walk past it.

Leaving home at around 9, firstly we went through Tradouws Pass to Barrydale, nice relaxed riding. In Barrydale we stopped at the Pampoenwinkel for a breakfast and met a couple on Harleys that came from Cape Town to buy some peaches! We didn't get the customary shot of OBS that bikers get and was told that Derek (the boss) doesn't come to work as often, don't know why.

We then left on the Ladismith road with the plan to ride to the Garcia Pass to Riversdale. With "Roll me away" from Bob Seger in my head, I was sure this was what Bob was thinking of when we wrote that song. I remembered I have the CD at home and made a mental note to find it and put it on my BB so I can listen to it instead of my own voice! I went through the whole album and phrases like "I can hear the engine humming out it's one note tune", and "Somewhere along a high road, the air began to turn cold. She said she missed her home. I headed off alone." were all just popping into my head.

Look, tar can be boring but sometimes it's actually better as it allows you to enjoy the scenery. The Klein Karoo is absolutely stunning and photo's, especially my sad attempts, can never do it justice.

Before long, while taking some photos, we discussed the road ahead and decided if we continue on the tar, the trip will be over way to soon, so we took the turn-off to Gysmanshoek - going all the way back but on gravel!

Gysmanshoek 2 up was, well, interesting with one incident where I thought this is it we're going down. But we made it easily in the end. I have been over there before but never two up on a bike, and next time will know what to expect. Especially the loose rocks near the summit was er, exciting!

All to soon it was over, we rode down the mountain to Heidelberg for a Wimpy coffee and a stretch of tar home.

Next trip will be a day trip that will include Vanwyksdorp, Rooiberg, and I know theres a way from there to Albertinia have done it in reverse.

1 - Klein Karoo just outside of Barrydale on Ladismith side.
2 - Garcia Pass
3 - Road to Gysmanshoek
4 - Some old ruins at the entrance to Gysmanshoek
5 - N2 home.

Attachments

• IMG-20120324-00200.jpg
    IMG-20120324-00200.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG-20120325-00203.jpg
    IMG-20120325-00203.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG-20120407-00217.jpg