Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ...biker went down on Allandale.....brettp?  (Read 724 times)

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
...biker went down on Allandale.....brettp?
« on: August 27, 2007, 12:55:20 pm »
A biker went down on Allandale this morning coming from Kempton just before the new train bridge. Saw a yellow R1200GS and a black SV standing there between the emergency and Metro vehicles. Were you there, brettp? If so, was it you that went down or did you just stop to see if the other guy was all right?
Don't waste any more time.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline Zerc

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Pretoria
Re: ...biker went down on Allandale.....brettp?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:13:29 pm »
brettp posted at 12:41 in the Sillystunt Down thread so it wasn't him who went down.

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 01:13:50 pm »
Com'on Brett

We WD need to know all is OK

talk to us buddy.....
I love my bike..................

Offline brettp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Blue boss.....
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 01:22:17 pm »
Fear not Maljohan, I never went down, however the chap that I was following on the BLK SV was taken out by a taxi! I saw it all happen (I was 2 car lengths behind the rider.). I almost landed up going over the rider as I was boxed in by a cage. Managed to stop the GS about 45cm for fallen rider..... Gave me a moerse SKRIK.

Having worked as a paramedic years ago, the instinct to stop and stabalise the patient came to me, hence my bike was parked to block off the scene.
Rider by the name of Jaque was lucky to have lived , after seeing bike and rider flicked into the air, aprox 3 times higher than the offending Taxi. Total injury list : Broken left Wrist, Broken right ankle, cracked ribs and loads of abrsions. Was wereing a leather jacket nad jeans. Jeans= MOERTOE!!! :o

JHB metro were excellent, Government amublance crew were beyond Friggin stupid!!!! After debriefing the ambo crew that the rider had a broken left wrist, this moron of a paramedics a#@S takes the patient by the "left" arm to check pressure and pulse!!! Can u believe it. Anyhow the 911 ambo crew arrived on the scene and promptly proceeded to dismiss the Gov-crew! Thank god!!!!! 911 paramedics have to be the best in the world, these chaps were ultra efficient and very professional.

All in all, a crappy way to start the week.

Suprise of the day........... A taxi driver that actually stopped, with a drivers licence and insurance!! Has to be a first!!!!
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 01:43:43 pm »
sheesh...brettt, would love to have some-one like you stop at the scene if i ever go down... there's a whole bunch of incompotents about.

well done, glad the dude is relatively ok...

Offline MuttsNutts

• Race Dog
  • 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelende Strasse Adve
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 02:05:26 pm »
Your health is more at risk with the government lot than without them

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 02:12:07 pm »
Fear not Maljohan, I never went down...

Cool. Glad it wasn't you, wouldn't want that to happen to anyone I know and see often, even though I don't know you that well.
Don't waste any more time.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150

Offline Hydr8

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • The Power of Gas...
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 02:17:15 pm »
Brettp, that's a long commute everyday from Benoni to Allandale especially on that stretch of road which is a nightmare.

Also assisted a dude recently in the traffic, not a pleasant experience. i used to haul ass between the cars as well till i saw that, now make sure ride a lot more responsibly. has to be one of the most dangerous things we ever do going to work by bike. with regards to jeans, we all wear them when we ride due to the sheer convenience of them especially when seeing clients etc. the only solution is proper pants or re-enforced jeans but at R800 a pair! what does one do?
KTM 1190 R Adventure
KTM 300/KDX 200
Triumph Speed Triple 1050/MV Agusta 1000 F4R 
Honda CBR600RR Track Bike
Life is a journey not a destination, enjoy the ride.

Offline brettp

• Race Dog
  • Blue boss.....
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 02:25:24 pm »
EIsh Grootseun, I am begining to develop a complex ( no not residential... ;D ;D), cos it was only 2 months ago when I saw that young girl get taken out, now this chap........

I must say that having wittnessed a prang like this, left me feeling very nervous and also with a feeling of light depression. It only really sunk in about an hour ago, hit me like a ton of bricks!

be carefull out there, its a jungle out there.....
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 03:48:12 pm »
Brettp, that's a long commute everyday from Benoni to Allandale especially on that stretch of road which is a nightmare.

Also assisted a dude recently in the traffic, not a pleasant experience. i used to haul ass between the cars as well till i saw that, now make sure ride a lot more responsibly. has to be one of the most dangerous things we ever do going to work by bike. with regards to jeans, we all wear them when we ride due to the sheer convenience of them especially when seeing clients etc. the only solution is proper pants or re-enforced jeans but at R800 a pair! what does one do?

I had the exact same thinking, and i used to mostly wear riding pants, and the day i did not, was the day i went down on diesel...LUCKILY my pants had almost no damage (wearing them today)

subsequently.. there is no excuse.. if i dont wear my riding pants.. i dont ride. Simple...

I dont give a flying rat's ass about what customers think...

THe one dude looked at me funny when i rocked up at a meeting wearing my kit (he's a banker.. so no wonder)  He looked at my gear, and then at me as if i was diseased...anyhoooow... long story short...he gave me real crap in the meeting, but i did not let up.

I suppose the point i am trying to make is..wear the gear...that's what it's there for...biking is not a fashion event. If the company you are visiting does not make provision in terms of lockers/ changing area for bikers...bugger them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:55:25 pm by Grootseun »

Offline gonedown

• Pack Dog
    • Amakaya Backpackers
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 09:31:39 pm »

I had the exact same thinking, and i used to mostly wear riding pants, and the day i did not, was the day i went down on diesel...LUCKILY my pants had almost no damage (wearing them today)

subsequently.. there is no excuse.. if i dont wear my riding pants.. i dont ride. Simple...

I dont give a flying rat's ass about what customers think...

THe one dude looked at me funny when i rocked up at a meeting wearing my kit (he's a banker.. so no wonder)  He looked at my gear, and then at me as if i was diseased...anyhoooow... long story short...he gave me real crap in the meeting, but i did not let up.

I suppose the point i am trying to make is..wear the gear...that's what it's there for...biking is not a fashion event. If the company you are visiting does not make provision in terms of lockers/ changing area for bikers...bugger them.

I got myself a pair of 'overpants'.  Are riding pants that fit over your 'normal' work pants.  Zip up the front of each leg.

That way you can wear your usual work clothes and still ride with proper protection.

PM me if you need info on where to get them if you interested.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:34:03 pm by gonedown »
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 07:05:48 am »
I got myself a pair of 'overpants'.  Are riding pants that fit over your 'normal' work pants.  Zip up the front of each leg.

That way you can wear your usual work clothes and still ride with proper protection.

Gonedown,

Please start a new thread or give us an overview of these pants. Are they protection enough over normal work pants.
I only ride my bike if i have no meetings in the day, i work with large corporates and they are sticky about dress code.

Thanks
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline gonedown

• Pack Dog
    • Amakaya Backpackers
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 07:15:31 am »

Gonedown,

Please start a new thread or give us an overview of these pants. Are they protection enough over normal work pants.
I only ride my bike if i have no meetings in the day, i work with large corporates and they are sticky about dress code.

Thanks

bmad - see 'Riders Overpants' thread
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline Chrissie B

• Chrissie the Gypsy
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda NC750X
  • Still love my Twin
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 06:44:05 pm »
Apparently another biker near Edenvale was not so lucky, apparently a bakkie lost some conduit or plastic stuff, biker hit it, fell off and some other vehicle hit him, as far as I know he died on the scene.  It seems the bike was not really damaged as he did not fall hard.

I must admit that I do not like going in between the traffic, but I do it anyway, although I have learned to check the flow, but there is always moments when cages do dumb stuff.  So far I've never had an incident on the highway, but I did fall on Diesel a few years ago, broke my leg in 3 places, a nice guy on a Ducati stopped to help me, pity I never asked for his details, I was in too much pain to write stuff down.  And a few months ago I got taken out by a stupid blonde bi#*ch in a white Merc in the traffic circle in Fourways Crossing, fortunately no damage to me, but my AT has a few scars, the bb gave me the wrong details, so I never got paid for the damage.  Didn't want to claim from own insurance, excess & losing no claim bonus not worth the damage.

I hate hearing these stories, but all in all I think if you pay attention and don't ride like an idiot you should be fine.

SO YA'ALL RIDE SAFE OUT THERE, SEE YOU ON THE ROAD.

:angel9:

Chrissie B.