Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Front end weave at speed  (Read 1809 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Front end weave at speed
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:29:51 am »
Ok so here is the symptom = at speeds over 120+ the scoot gets a weave  (rather than a wobble) increasing often with speed. Controllable but undesirable. The scoot did did not do this with the old tyres - Karoos. The new tyres are Dunlop Rally Raid D908 rear and Mich T63 in front. Both are now well run in and at first I thought it was the typical T63 symptom of needing to bed in (have used them in the past on the EishPeeTwee). My suspension is properly set-up both in terms of sag and the handbook settings. NOW HERE IS THE THING - if the weave starts and I shift my weight backwad it evens out ... ie lightening the front end? Or stabalising the rear?

Now I have not tried yet but  could reduce the rear dampening but am reluctant as it performs well in the rough. I have tried different tyre pressures and higher pressure in front does appear to help a little. This symptom has been the same even when loaded with a GL Cayote.

My mate Edgy says that it is the back wheel causing this and not unheard of with a D908?

Informed Inputs welcome.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline sidetrack

Re: Front end weave at speed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:09:31 pm »
Well if the bike ran fine on the Karoo's and now weaves with the new rubber that must be it. Consider checking the balancing, rim locks may also have an influence if you have.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:02:59 pm »
Ja was my thought as well - but whether back or front or combo not sure. I agree with balancing as well and am wanting to buy my own static balancer.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Cacus

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Yep its a ring ding ding
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 12:24:59 am »
Hi Dom My 2 cents worth.Have u checked spoke tension, as you have been riding a lot more offroad maybe they have come loose.My drz had a slight wander at speed on the tar up front ,I thought it was just the D606 but my spokes needed tightening(no not my "nuts")
Husky WR 250 (s/legal)
Katoom 530 exc (s/legal)
both hooligan bikes !!

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:29:10 am »
What u doing up so late ?  ::) Ja checked all my spokes last weekend and there quite a few that needed tightening ... I believe this is something many miss out on checking and have always been surprised that BMW (not sure of others) never have it on their service schedule (maybe because they want you to buy a whole fooking new wheel  :P). Have not really tested it since but have also changed the rear tyre to  a Mitas CO2 for trip to Bavs so will see what it does now ... other than stick like shit to a blanket  :ricky:

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:05:41 pm »
What u doing up so late ?  ::) Ja checked all my spokes last weekend and there quite a few that needed tightening ... I believe this is something many miss out on checking and have always been surprised that BMW (not sure of others) never have it on their service schedule (maybe because they want you to buy a whole fooking new wheel  :P). Have not really tested it since but have also changed the rear tyre to  a Mitas CO2 for trip to Bavs so will see what it does now ... other than stick like shit to a blanket  :ricky:

and    the problem was ?
Rallye

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:07:29 pm »

and    the problem was ?

The Rally Raid on the rear!

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:40:04 pm »
Weird, and on my SE I could travel at any speed no issue! ???
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 02:43:40 pm »
My mate Edgy says that it is the back wheel causing this and not unheard of with a D908?

When I bought the DRZ from Edgy, I had to jack the back suspension down to make my feet reach the
ground (just slightly  ;D )
The bike developed the same symptoms as you described, but Andre said he never had that problem......
I played with tyre pressure...........did not work.
I experimented with different suspension settings but that also did not solve the problem.

I tried all the tricks known to mankind...........nothing worked.
The bike was still hectically weaving above 120 km/h.

Just around this time the back tyre reached the end of its life and I replaced the existing D606
with a brand new one.
Rode out of  the tyre shop and never experienced any weaving ever again, until I sold the bike 20 months later.

So it had to be the rear tyre.  :deal:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »
Weird, and on my SE I could travel at any speed no issue! ???

Fuck China YOU are the one that put me onto this phenomena and suggested it was the tyre! You even said you had seen or experienced it first hand ?  ::) Anyway the change to the Mitas CO2 fixed it.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 07:55:10 pm »
My 610 did exactly the same with the original Karoos, weave over 120.
after 1200kms  the back one was shot, so I replaced it with a Mitas E07 and the bike has never weaved again.
SOOO the back tyre is definitely the culprit as I still have the original karoo on the front, soon to be replaced by a T63 Michelin. That E07 is also gone, looking at the Heidenau, will see what I can get at a good price. Any rear tyres I should avoid?
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 07:58:46 pm »
Why change from the Mitas? Try a E09.  :thumleft:

Offline BMWPE

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 08:27:44 pm »
Also had my fair share of weaving
on X challenge and  Tenere
tyres are the problem
Now using the E09 on Tenere not yet 100% sorted though
Rallye

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:13 pm »
Do also check your head bearings - many never get greased or adjusted ...

Offline XTFREAK

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • B+
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 12:02:57 am »
Try changing tyre pressures, it really does work. Normally just by inflating another 10th of a bar in front has fixed any issues iv had

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 07:57:29 am »
I had a similar experience, checked tyres, checked suspension set-up, checked spokes, checked bearings...
Eventually had a long chat with Wookie (who is an amateur suspension guru) and we dropped the front shocks through the triple clamps, right down to flush... and complete fix...

There are so many things that can change the dynamics... it's actually a science in it's own right, I think the trick is to go through each point one at a time and eliminate possible causes...

They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Stofdonkie

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 08:07:10 am »
Drop the rear a pre-load a bit. It will increase the front trail slightly.
Carpe BM.

Online blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 08:32:06 am »
Hi Dom --- if it was ok before and not now -----Tires for sure --

I all my years I have found that some tire when paired just don't ---- Marry well --

You could try the same tires just other ones and they work well ---- Pain in the butt imho ---
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 11:33:47 am »
Hi Dom --- if it was ok before and not now -----Tires for sure --

I all my years I have found that some tire when paired just don't ---- Marry well --

You could try the same tires just other ones and they work well ---- Pain in the butt imho ---

Exactly right and what I discovered - It did not like the Rally Raid. But I also know a weave can be other factors as well  - most often tyre or pressure but can be other factors like suspension etc... as said often a matter of systematic elimination.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 09:27:29 pm »
While we are discussing tyres, has anyone tried the Tubliss system to alleviate tubes?
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.