AMAGESA 2012 The Ride Up and more

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Many Thanks to Alex , WayneH and Leftless for inviting us ( Andy660 , Crossed-up and Buzzlightyear) as Marshall's to the Amagesa.
All our Expenses , Food , Accommodation and Fuel were  paid for.
And we had the privilege of riding on some of the most awesome private farm roads you can imagine.

Thanks very much guys  !

Ride Up :
Crossed-up and I left on Thursday morning with the plan of spending the night in the Tankwa then riding up Ganaga pass to Sutherland.

BUT FORGETTING about ALL the Bunny Huggers that were making their Yearly Trek to Stonehenge .

And it was raining on the R355 , most of the way.So  you can imagine how crap and muddy half of the road was , with a long que of cars , and 4x4 towing every trailer they could get their hands on.

We stopped for a cold one at the Tankwa store on the R355 then hit the road again,But Crossed-up took the Hitting the road literally , and had a tankslap at 90km/Hr and hit the deck, braking his fairing and twisting the rear subframe of his bike.
Luckily , he limped away withe a bruised knee.

3cf38299.jpg

We turned off on to the Tankwa road  and headed to our accommodation for the night.
Getting to our turn off wasnt too bad , but the road to our house was interesting with plenty of water on the road and lots of mud.

7b0fa06b.jpg

c588c352.jpg

d43cc811.jpg

After getting to our destination , I collected some firewood to braai our meat , but the heavans opened up and put an end to the braai !And the Desert turned into a lake.

f13007ec.jpg

dc95cd53.jpg

We managed to do our meat in a pan and after a couple of beers got some sleep.
In the morning we packed up and started back down the 5km road , which had turned ito a 5 km river.

After going through 2 small rivers over the road , we got to the Tankwa river , which is normally dry a a sandy crossing.But now looked like this :

9081ca12.jpg

I walked in about 20M and was already up to my knees , so we decided to rather go back down the Very Busy R355 , Take the Touwesriver turn off and hit the tar to Sutherland.
We got there at about 13h00 and after off loading our bikes , jumped straight into assisting Camelman and Wayneh with the scrutirneering.

f7d2e6b5.jpg

adfe2fcb.jpg

Daryl Curtis`s Bike

a2b27798.jpg

After Scrutineering we were asked to head down to the Main Road in Sutherland where the SAP had blocked the road and the Gyro coperts had positioned them selves under the Monster Energy Banner for a photo shoot.

65e1c6f3.jpg

After the photo shoot , The Marshalls escourted the Gyrocopters down the road to the Petrol station to refuel for the next days riding as support.

Bikes and Gyrocopters refueling at the Sutherland Petrol Station.
Not something you see everyday !

48f94973.jpg

17ebbdf1.jpg

Incedently , the Pilots of the GyroCopters flew them all the way down from Pretoria just for the Amagesa

4e5524c0.jpg