Gauteng Bash - 01/09/2007

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JourneyMan

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Despite the two unfortunately falls, the much anticipated Gauteng bash came to a coclusion earlier today. And  what a great weekend of riding and being with like-minded individuals.

The day started early. I think Chrisb was first at the meet. Just after six. As the WD's arrived, introductions was made. Strange how one seems to remember the forum nick after the first introduction but the real name has to be asked a few times over the weekend. :mrgreen: Even so, please forgive any errors here.

At the meet place. The coffee was good!

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

After coffee, quick instructions from Plothond.

IMG_0013.JPG

Then Welsh also decided to finally pitch up! :lol:

IMG_0014.JPG

And finally way they go! Amazingly, the group got away wihtin the suggested time frame. More-or-less.

IMG_0015.JPG

A small group decided to depart a bit later. JM, Welsh, Funacide, Popipants, Zonkelnut

Maybe Zonk will be so kind to explain to you what he is describing here. :eek: :twisted:

IMG_0017.JPG

PS: Zonk was on his best Saturday. For the sentive souls out there, I will have to refrain from posting some of his antics. My apologies. :geek:

We started about half an hour after the main group. From the beginning, there was division on which route is the correct one. A printed out copy or the loaded GPS one on Popipant's GPS. This trend was continued throughout the day. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

First pitstop after the first round of "Route Consultations". Echoings of a Shebeen Run.

IMG_0018.JPG

From there a shortcut to the main route.

Zonk & Funacide

IMG_0021.JPG

Popipants

IMG_0023.JPG

Welsh

IMG_0024.JPG

Popipants deflating tyres after  him and me realised Funacide/Zonk in on a wrong heading.

IMG_0025.JPG

Some "on-the-run" discussions between Welsh and Popipants also did not have the desired effect. Popipants said to Welsh: "This is the wrong way". Welsh: "I'll go get them" (Apparently this was not said by Welsh. Total denial from him. :mrgreen:)

We wait and wait. Finally all three came back. After a bit of friendly arguing about the route, it was decided to trust Popipants GPS.

We arrived at a the local Spring Day Feast and parchy throats were treated. We have travelled 60km. Good going. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

IMG_0027.JPG

From there double quick time to Pienaarsrivier, fuel up and onto dirt again.

Unfortunately we came upon Supergirl's accident.

IMG_0028.JPG

The road was level 1-2. Hard packed but also dusty. Out of nowehere comes this 50m stretch of soft sand which will take you unawares. Dust didn't help SG in this case. Glad she is OK apart from a hurt arm.

Also there were Ratel (of course) and Crazy Porra. What a great guy! Met him the first time and over the rest of the weekend, first impressions was firmly cemented. :cool: Later Tonteldoos also arrived and decided to wait with us.

We searched some shade while waiting for the recovery vehicle. It was hot! :eek:

IMG_0029.JPG

Talking shite mostly. With Zonkel at the forfront.  :kermit: Flatjack and Apple Sours helped while the time away.

IMG_0031.JPG

After recovery, a small disagreement (again) about the route to follow for us five, we eventually arrived at another place to sooth the parchy throats.

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

Then onwards. Popipant'GPS showed anothe lekker shortcut to the main route.

IMG_0036.JPG

On the main route to the tar, Level 1 hardpack.

Let's just say that Zonkel misjuded the gradient. :mrgreen:

IMG_0037.JPG

Tar and then the stretch into Rooibarg. Plothond was correct. Nice road and must be even better in the summer.

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

At Rooiberg, all had lunch. We were running about 2 1/2 hours behind schedule by that time.

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

And fill-up. Much appreciated oom en tannie! :thumright:

IMG_0046.JPG

We then took tar all the way to the turnoff to the farm.

Waiting for the last to arrive at the farm entrance.

IMG_0047.JPG

What keeping them? Ama Ride Ride. hehe  :twisted:

IMG_0048.JPG

Someone invited a clown as well. :mrgreen:

IMG_0049.JPG

I decide to turn back ang go look for the missing peeps.

Groenie and Mina Moo.

IMG_0052.JPG

Stephan, Red and Daughter

IMG_0053.JPG

Waiting for the last three. Funacide, Zonk & Popipants.

IMG_0055.JPG

After a while, I go back. Popipants arrived and said Fun's KTM is dead. Does not want to start. They have to TOW it in! :eek: hehe

Everyoine run for camera's!  :twisted:

Here they come!

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

I'm sure their will be separate thread on the KTM issue.  :mrgreen:

More to follow.