"Colour" Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uiltjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Myself and Dirtrat left early Friday morning for George to have his 950 SE serviced.  At Swellendam, we both were gatvol of the tar and took the Suurbraak rd.  DR hasn't seen Gysmanshoek, so we quickly crossed that.

Dirtrat on top of Gysmanshoek
DSCN0008.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

DSCN0011.jpg

From there we took the road behind the mountain, and crossed over Garcia Pass to Riversdale for fuel.

Getting in George, we met up with Curly Lips, Dirtrat's brother-in-law, who flew down to pick up his new toy:
DSCN0012.jpg

Congrats CL with your awesome machine!  Welcome to the Dark Side!

DSCN0013.jpg

So we were 3 KTMers with a 950, 950SE and the new 990.  I put on a new front tyre, Dirtrat had to put on a new TKC on the rear (How's that? First service, new rear tyre!) and the new bike also had fresh rubber, so we decided to "burn" silicone off through Outiniqua pass.  We only left George at 5.30, so we had to sleep in Oudtshoorn, but the planned sleepover was Prince Albert.

After a long night of "you-know-what" and VERY little sleep, we headed for Swartberg pass.

DSCN0015.jpg

And there she was

DSCN0016.jpg

Very historic moment:  New KTM taking dirt for the first time!

DSCN0018.jpg

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

heading up the mountain

DSCN0023.jpg

Dirtrat on top of Swartberg

DSCN0026.jpg

Coming down on Prince Albert side of Swartberg

DSCN0031.jpg

DSCN0032.jpg

DSCN0035.jpg

DSCN0036.jpg

Myself at the "Eerste Water"

DSCN0040.jpg

A bike made for this hard country!

DSCN0041.jpg

In Prince Albert we stopped at the Bush Pub for lunch and a cold one

DSCN0044.jpg

Myself, Dirtrat and Curly Lips

DSCN0047.jpg

Curly Lips getting the hang of his new machine, going back up Swartberg pass.

DSCN0048.jpg

Top of Swartberg, looking South

DSCN0049.jpg

Then we took the Groenkloof road to Calitzdorp

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0055.jpg

From Calitzdorp we took the Rooiberg pass towards Van Wyksdorp.  This was on top of Rooiberg, looking south

DSCN0058.jpg

Entrance to Assegaai Bosch Game reserve - beautiful scenery

DSCN0060.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

We raced to Barrydale, as the sun was setting fast.  Booked into the Country Pumpkin Bike lodge - very nice, cheap and clean. 

Lo and Behold!  Saturday night was a carbon copy of the night before in Oudtshoorn!  Very friendly town of Barrydale!

We had executive parking at the Lodge!

DSCN0065.jpg

CL left early, as he had to get back to S/West.  DR and myself went home via Malgas.

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

So to sum up the "Colour" ride, we did Swartberg twice, Groenkloof and Rooiberg in one day.  Total distance home - home. 882km.  Fun 100%, tired 100%, liver damage 100%, company 100%, bikes 100%.