Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bright Spark! - Iridium plugs?  (Read 452 times)

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Bright Spark! - Iridium plugs?
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:54:28 pm »
Anyone using or used them?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
Re: Bright Spark! - Iridium plugs?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:11:06 pm »
Had one in my DRZ, more performance .... did not notice any difference after going back to a normal plug. They do last longer and cost more though. It was a Denso plug.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:40 pm »
Changed my cars platinum plugs to normal ones, no difference in performance or fuel consumption. The iridium and platinum plugs only lasts longer imho.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:30:50 pm »
Changed my cars platinum plugs to normal ones, no difference in performance or fuel consumption. The iridium and platinum plugs only lasts longer imho.

Remember your bike only has one plug!  ::)  Been happy with mine in the Husky. Ja not sure there will be a noticeable difference but the research shows a better spark and clean burn?
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:33 am »

Remember your bike only has one plug!  ::)  Been happy with mine in the Husky. Ja not sure there will be a noticeable difference but the research shows a better spark and clean burn?
 Made no difference to any of my bikes -- back on the stock ones -

What I have learnt if using a normal plug --use a Koki pen and mark the open end of the plugs position on the plug porcelain side --turn until it lines up with the piston and inlet feed ---Put it on a dyno and at least a 1/4 horsepower more -- ::)

That was free advice I got from the Old Man of Racing --Gerry Onassis ---- and it works
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:47:03 am by blazes »
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:55:50 am »
I had to remove alot of mechanical bits on me car to change the plugs on the rear bank, not an easy or quick job hence why I think they go for plugs that last 100 000km. Removing a plug on a bike is not a big deal and the standard plug will be fine. I think the iridium giving extra power and consumption is as true as those stromberg gadgets you put on your spark plug lead  :biggrin:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline M3X3Z3

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:00:02 pm »
On both the 2010 EFI based SM 630 and TE630 (which already had all the powerup, airbox and JD Tuner etc mods ), I got a very noticeable improvement particularly on part throttle operation.
On the 2010 EFI based TE 510 (with JD Tuner) is got an improvement as well but not as great as on the 630's, again particularly on part throttle operation.

On all bikes the Iridiums allowed the engine to be happy with a wider range of leaning and or enrichment using the JD Tuner particularly in the Part Throttle and Accelerator Pump phases of the JD Tuner.
On the 630's I went from 170km per tank to 190km per tank and from 80km per tank to 95 km per tank on the 510 ( because on the 510 the engine was happy to run with less fuel and still perform well the part throttle phase). These figures are based upon the majority of the riding being at part throttle ie within the first 1/4 of the throttle.

I think, given the unique combination of the Mikuni EFI and the Cylinder Head design (common to all 3 bikes ), combustion is not very good and the Iridiums seem to greatly improve the combustion process on the above mentioned bikes. So the poorer the combustion process, the greater is the scope for improvement by using Iridiums.

This will explain why Iridiums benefit different bikes to different extents
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:35:34 pm by M3X3Z3 »
Honda XR250  Husqvarna TE630  Husqvarna SM630  KTM 690

Offline M3X3Z3

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 02:04:46 pm »

What I have learnt if using a normal plug --use a Koki pen and mark the open end of the plugs position on the plug porcelain side --turn until it lines up with the piston and inlet feed ---Put it on a dyno and at least a 1/4 horsepower more -- ::)

Will definitely give it whirl :thumleft:
Honda XR250  Husqvarna TE630  Husqvarna SM630  KTM 690