Getting shafted in the Kalahari (how does she ride?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyHarry

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Before you visualize some weird pictures of me getting shafted, I might have to put the header more precisely.
Me having the outmost fun on my bike while my rear wheel is slipping on the loose ground on a steep hill climb, then my rear tyre finds some instant grip on a large rock, my engine is trying to put the max torque in first gear on the rear while my drive shaft is giving in under the load. So correctly put my drive shaft got shafted.
But I will get to that a little later in my RR.

I only finished my G/S building project just in time for the GKG. To make it to this event was enough motivation to speed up the building process.
I bought the bike in pieces in December but only started the project mid January.
This is how it started:
P1030958.jpg

2 month later:
P1040285.jpg

In March I was riding the bike in the dunes of Atlantis for the first time. My goal was to get the bike running first and then gradually finish the bike off.

The whole transformation of the bike you can find here:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=90128.340

My plan was to leave one week before the GKG to get some mileage on the bike. I have never been to the Kalahari and this was a good enough reason to explore the Northern Cape.
Some last minute modifications to increase the range of the rather small 19L tank. 10L of extra fuel and plenty of water will hopefully do the trick.
P1040676.jpg

I didn’t have a chance to test the bike other than on a few rides in our backyard. My carburetors were giving me trouble and the rear drive was leaking oil. I was able to fix the leaking carbs but I had no time to fix the rear drive. Instead I did pack diff oil to top up when needed.

The bike made it to event after an extended ride through the Kalahari. Unfortunately I snapped the drive shaft one day before the GKG and my bike was parked on bricks for the next 4 days before I could make a plan and return home.

I had plenty of time to reflect on my trip during these days.
P1050256.jpg