Of Dust & Men (Day 4)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wino

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Day 4
692133.jpg

We got up early, knowing that this would be one of the most testing days of the trip. We planned to ride through the kloof to Patensie, and then take a 4x4 track over to Steytlerville, back onto the backroads that run along the Swartberg mountains to Willowmore, where we would stay for the night. But, it was not to go according to plan?

692034.jpg

Our campsite hosts treated us to a filling breakfast while making phonecalls to farmers who have ridden the 4x4 track to find out whether our bikes would make it. When we first told our host what we were planning, he got a devilish grin. According to him, you need a proper mx bike/quad to ride the track. The ultimate message however, was that if we could ride the most difficult part in the kloof, we would have a good idea what to expect from the track, adding a little more difficulty.

692035.jpg

Entering the wilderness area:

692036.jpg

692037.jpg

692038.jpg

Yee-ha! That was Good!

692039.jpg

Discussing what lies ahead? (notice the wetwipes, again?)

692041.jpg

Water crossings were really common, and we enjoyed each one thoroughly.

692043.jpg

Are those smiles natural, gentlemen?

692044.jpg

Spectacularly breathtaking!

692045.jpg

692046.jpg

Uhm, but there is no road?!

692047.jpg

692049.jpg

692050.jpg

Having another break:

692051.jpg

And, yet another water crossing?!

692052.jpg

692053.jpg

692054.jpg

692055.jpg

692056.jpg

The next one proved to be the most difficult crossing of the lot, stretching for about 40 metres in total. Luckily it had not rained in the previous few weeks; otherwise it would have been a lot longer. The bottom was full of loose rocks, making the bike leap around quite a bit. Before entering the obstacle, we were wondering who would be first? guess somebody had to take the photos!

692057.jpg

Ever so ?cool??

With a shell like that, who needs a helmet! (No animals were in any way harmed during this trip!).

692059.jpg

One of the benefits of taking an early ride, you get to glimpse the kudus. This one was standing in the middle of the road, trying to stare us down?

692060.jpg

eventually disappearing to join the rest of the herd.

692061.jpg

Ze German admiring some of the scenic rock formations:

692062.jpg

692063.jpg

And then we hit the part that we were warned about, the part that would give a test of what we would experience on the 4x4 track ? very testing indeed on both the bike and the rider. Unfortunately, none of us stopped to take photos, we just wanted to get to the top! At last!

692064.jpg

Having a look back at the most tranquil part of the past few k?s?

692065.jpg

Exposed bedrock was the order of the day:

692066.jpg

It must be a killer to ride here during the rain season?

692068.jpg

692069.jpg

Close to the end of the kloof:

692070.jpg

Suddenly the gravel felt like tar! Well, this stretch was actually better than some of our tar roads ? no potholes!
692071.jpg

692072.jpg

www.baviaans.co.za
www.baviaans.net

After reaching the end of the kloof, we realised that we had to speed things up a bit. In particular, Heinie was looking anxious about the unfamiliar that lay ahead. So we set out for Patensie, where we filled up on fuel and had a very quick bite to eat. (Venter, however, raced ahead earlier on and had time to consume a beer, or two. He was going to regret it later!)

692073.jpg

We also cancelled our chalet in Willowmore, as it was becoming clear that we would not make it tonight. As yet, we were not entirely clear on where we were going to be for the night. Just about 5k?s outside of Patensie the track started. The first few k?s were not too bad, my only observation being that the stones on the road were a lot more and bigger than the kloof?s.

At our first stop, Heinie looked despondent, something wasn?t right with the klr?s front suspension as it felt like it rocked right back. We did some checks, he tried the hand pump, but nothing seemed to work. There was also no visible damage, so it was thought that maybe one of the seals in the fork got hurt. Well, what to do?

692074.jpg

692075.jpg

The intrepid adventurer, ie KiLeRSA, decided to carry on at an induced slow pace. But, the road did not get any easier. Rather, at some stretches one could clearly see that it is a 4x4 track, and you?d have to have a proper 4x4.

Interestingly, both Venter and I noted the difference in how we approached the various obstacles with the different bikes. Whereas I tried to do some more slick riding by trying to avoid e.g. large loose rocks, Venter would use the power of the 1150 to steamroller over them. I think that both types of approach provided their own scary moments.

692076.jpg

692077.jpg

692078.jpg

Chris having a relaxing break, inhaling some smoky grass?

692079.jpg

692080.jpg

692081.jpg

692082.jpg

Coming down this stretch was the most taxing part of the whole journey; once again the picture does not accurately show the difficulties that we overcame. I actually stalled the bike in one of the ?grooves? and could only maintain the bike in a semi upright position by putting my left foot down. Given the angle of the slope, the specific groove that I was in, and angle of the bike, I had to push the bike up straight, while at the same time use a good measure of power to move out of the groove. Phew! Nearly saw my?!

692083.jpg

Another stop to check the suspension of the klr:

692084.jpg

692085.jpg

When we reached the top of the pass, it presented us with magnificent views. However, the mood was sombre. Heinie?s front arms were getting punished with the absence of shock absorbing and Venter appeared to be dehydrated ? yep, the beers were not helping either! Knowing about the dangers of unknowingly dehydrating on a bike, I tend to always sneak in a bottle or two of Energade. After gulping down the contents, we were ready to move on.

692086.jpg

692088.jpg

692087.jpg

692120.jpg

Heinie took the front as he was supposedly going to be the slowest rider. Well, I battled sometimes to keep up with him. On the more flat stretches I sensed his frustration as he cranked the throttle!

The sun was slowly setting?

692121.jpg

Just about 30k?s outside of Steytlerville we had some humour. Ze German Leader came down the road in true Paris-Dakar fashion while the three of us were admiring his riding skills, and then the top box flew off! Well, the cookies crumbled, but more importantly the beers were still intact!

692124.jpg

First cellphone reception ? Heinie trying to arrange a bike mechanic:

692122.jpg

Eventually we reached Steytlerville.

692125.jpg

692126.jpg

The church in Steytlerville ? even though I?m not a religious person, old churches do have some strange attraction in their architecture:

692128.jpg

After enquiring in town about accommodation, we decided to spend the night at the ?notorious? Karoo Hotel. www.karoohotel.co.za

692129.jpg

There are 12 pet cats in the hotel ? no jokes about black ?cats?, please?!

692130.jpg

Drinks with friends at the end of a challenging day:

692131.jpg

This picture says it all?

692132.jpg