Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 3 Idiots take on Nam!  (Read 8214 times)

Offline KTM Jagermeister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
Re: 3 Idiots take on Nam!
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:51 am »
Super cool vid !

Offline XRBradman

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2012, 02:49:52 pm »
great trip - so i start planning mine today
italjet 50, puch 50, kawa 100cc, kawa 125cc, Yammie IT 250, Suzuki Gamma 50cc,  KDX200, Yammie FZR600, ZXR900R, XR200 (81), XR 500 (85), XR400 (04), CRF250X (07), XR400 (97), XR650L (11), KTM 990s

Offline Dirtrider69

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2012, 07:16:50 pm »
Before the trip we said that we would give a bit of feedback on the gear we used. We bought the cheapest gear we could possibly find and used whatever we already had.

For pannniers we went with the 48L Oxford 1st Time Soft Panniers. R899 for a set. Now first of all, these panniers were designed for sportsbikes and NOT for adventure touring, but we overloaded them, packed them beyond capacity and crashed with them (many times). And they took the punishment pretty well! Some of the stitching did come lose and one pannier did melt against an exhaust, but they held up very well. If you want inexpensive soft panniers - I would definitly recommend these.

We also used the ATG 50L Dry Bags. Now these are not cheap products, but they are not cheaply made. R700(I think). These bags are amazing! They were just the right size to fit everything in and still fit nicely on the bike. They also come with 4 very handy ajustable straps to strap down your tent and matress or whatever. They are also truly dust proof. No matter how full of dust the rest of the gear was - the stuff inside the bags were always clean. The plastic buckle clips on my bag broke but still worked fine, but I'm sure this was due to all the times the bike fell over. These bags are indestructable! Highly recommended.

Rokstraps. What can I say about the Rokstraps? Faaaarking awesome!! This is probably the best invention man has ever made. Sure, an IPad is handy and the moon landing was cool, but this - this tops everything! They seem to be expensive, but once you use these straps you will know why they are worth every cent. Get the "Looped End" ones. A MUST on any trip.

Tents. We used the Campmaster Bushwacker Dome tent. R199 from Makro. They are light and small when packed and sleeps comfortably with your dry bag, boots and jacket in the tent. They are not very waterproof though, so check the weather channel before you head off.... Cheap and works great - highly recommended.

Tyres. On the Dakars we used Michelin T63's and the 990 was on Karoo's. The T63's were the cheapest tyres we could find (about a R1000 for a set) and we did 3000km on the trip. They still looked very good and could probably do another 3000km. The Karoo's on the 990 was a different story. The 990 thrashed it's rear tyre in about 1800km! But I don't think its a bad tyre - it's the 990's power that makes it heavy on any tyre.

T63 Before

T63 After

Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Comms. R1300 per unit (had someone bring it from USA), but in SA they are about R1800 per unit. I've used the Supertooth before and the Sena is much better. The sound quality is brilliant and the battery life even better. I think we only put them on charge after a week on the trip. They just kept on working and working. Being able to share your thoughts and chat with your buddies while riding is priceless. It enhances the whole experience so much. This is a very good investment for any biker.

"Ride it like you stole it!"

Offline lifeofgareth

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
    • Drug Addiction Treatment & Alcohol Rehab Centres
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2012, 10:04:00 pm »
Enjoying reading this - I don't remember the terrain being so coarse. I think the huge storms and floods they had in 2010 must have exposed and shifted more rocks.
The effort and endurance you need to muscle 230kg through that, takes nothing less that guts. I can't compare - we had it easy, we had a backup vehicle with our luggage (that went directly from Opouwa to Epupa) and we bounced around on plastics. Our trip organiser, always said "use the right bike for the right terrain".  ;D
You will never forget this section - something you will share with your offspring in years to come :thumleft:
Yes, right bike for the right terrain seems a recent lesson I'm also familiar with.

Great RR! Makes me wanna get out there again, now!
If you don't have a limp like a township dog - you're not doing it right. Go back & try again.
KTM 950 SE
website: http://WeDoRecover.com/rehab-facilities/rehab-sa.html

Offline Gummi

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2019, 09:42:39 am »
It is time for a new adventure.............will keep everyone posted!!!!

The following users thanked this post: stcomza

Offline stcomza

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2019, 10:06:18 am »
Just read the RR and I'm suitably impressed AND inspired!
WOW  :biggrin:
Have you hugged your motorcycle today?
Twitter : @steynw76

Offline MonkeyNot

« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2019, 07:58:40 am »
It is time for a new adventure.............will keep everyone posted!!!!

Liam once briefly told me about the trip at a braai.
Never knew it was this epic!
Met klein Charlie in die huis neem ek aan hy gaan nie diekeer saam nie  :peepwall:
Current: KTM 950 Super Enduro R,  KTM 500 XCW-F
Previous: KTM 990 Adventure, BMW G650 X-Challenge x3,  Yamaha XT 660R,  Honda XR650L, BMW R1200GS

Offline captain jack

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2019, 07:04:37 am »
great report thanks.

one only knows what one is capable of when things go wrong/get tough and one digs deep and success :thumleft:

My wife and I made the same mistake with time zones for a week in Nam, We kept arriving very late as we were still on +2 and Nam was +1. Took us a week to realize it :biggrin:

Offline Baches

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2019, 01:08:51 pm »
Dankie vir die great RR. Ek is gelukkig / bevoorreg om in Nam te bly en het al 3 bikes sodat ek op elke soort trip kan saam gaan. Ons was nou die dag met die 650's ( dit is nou XR650's , XT 660's en een 690 KTM) Spreetshoogte pas en Gamsbergpas uit. Befok. Lekker grondpaaie, party moer sanderig ander weer sinkplaat maar dit bly flippen lekker.
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
KTM 530 XCW
KDX 200
IT 200
XR650L