Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 3 Idiots take on Nam!  (Read 7150 times)

Offline KTM Jagermeister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
Re: 3 Idiots take on Nam!
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 01:31:18 pm »
Ah, ek herken mos die idiots... Het nog 2 binnebande vir julle, maar wil voorkom of julle die huis gehaal het.  Ons het toe bietjie vasgesit in Robbies Pas, uiteindelik maar op Sesfontein geslaap.

Offline Circlip

• Wannabe
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 01:43:33 pm »
 :blob3: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob8: :blob9: :blob8: :blob7: :blob6: :blob5: :blob3:
I'm not as young as I once was, but I can be as young once as I ever was. G.Hazell
Bad planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »
Sub.
Kom nou,gooi weer ietsie
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline Dirtrider69

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 03:01:36 pm »
Day 2: Sesriem and Sossusvlei

We stayed at Sossus Oasis Campsite and what a great place! Each campsite has its own toilet, shower and wash up area with an undercover “patio”. There’s a filling station with a shop where you can buy almost anything. But the best was that stuff they call “beer”. Ice cold Tafel Lager in the desert – there’s nothing better. There is even a pool with a green lawn right in the middle of the campsite. Pools became very important to us on this trip. Not just to cool off, but we kinda figured that a dip in a pool is just as good as a shower. And luckily guys don't mind skipping a shower or 2, so we did our bit to save water.

We went to Sossusvlei to check out the dunes, checked out Sesriem Canyon and chilled by the pool. Sossusvlei is about 63km on a tar road from the campsite but we had to go along with another lodge’s guided tours. Bikes are not allowed on this tar road anymore because apparently a few years ago a few quad riders decided to leave the road and messed up some of the dunes. So, all bikes were banned and these morons screwed it up for all of us. The only way to get to the dunes, if you don’t have a car, is to pay R550 per person for a guided tour. Luckily, friendly oom Willie, who runs the garage, shop and campsite, got us some discount and off we went.

The guide picked us up at 06:00 with an open air game drive vehicle and it soon became clear why we each got a fluffy blanket - it gets moer cold in the desert! (to put it mildly). Our Buffs came in very handy and soon there were three bank robbers on their way to the dunes!

The scenery in Namibia is absolutely breathtaking and you can’t really explain to someone what it looks like and the photos don’t do it justice. You can almost “feel” this place as you look around and the vastness completely overwhelms you. Namibia and especially Sossusvlei is probably one of the most magic places on earth. If you haven’t been there before, put it on your bucket list. You simply have to experience this place before you die.

I promised my kids that I would bring them some "regte egte woestynsand".

The famous Deadvlei:

Later that afternoon we went to Sesriem Canyon to check it out. There was a surprising amount of water that made most of the canyon inaccessible, unless you were willing to take a swim with your camera in one hand. We rather opted for a braai and a few Tafels, so we headed back to our campsite.

The view just as you climb out of the canyon.

"Ride it like you stole it!"

Offline Carrots

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 03:10:28 pm »
Bliksem maar dis mooi daar.  :thumleft:

Desember is dit ons beurt!
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 03:10:50 pm »
Ah, ek herken mos die idiots... Het nog 2 binnebande vir julle, maar wil voorkom of julle die huis gehaal het.  Ons het toe bietjie vasgesit in Robbies Pas, uiteindelik maar op Sesfontein geslaap.

Ons het julle een crew member by Sesfontein Lodge gekry - toe wag hy al n paar ure vir julle! Hy sê hy kon nie verder ry met daai geskeerde bi-cep nie. Ons het by Palmwag gekamp en gewonder of julle dit gaan maak, maar daar was geen teken van julle KTM's nie. Ons het vermoed dat julle dalk vas gehaak het in die berge!

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 03:12:15 pm »
Hel dit voel of ek gister daar was en dis al weer meer as 'n jaar terug :'(
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 03:13:15 pm »
DR69 - very very very nice :thumleft:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »
Bliksem maar dis mooi daar.  :thumleft:

Desember is dit ons beurt!

Dit word moer warm in die dag! Even in April. So julle gaan maar baie bier moet drink!

Offline KTM Jagermeister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »

Ons het julle een crew member by Sesfontein Lodge gekry - toe wag hy al n paar ure vir julle! Hy sê hy kon nie verder ry met daai geskeerde bi-cep nie. Ons het by Palmwag gekamp en gewonder of julle dit gaan maak, maar daar was geen teken van julle KTM's nie. Ons het vermoed dat julle dalk vas gehaak het in die berge!

Jip en dit het ook nie gehelp dat ek Kevin se bike in die water laat val het nie.  Maar dis mos waaroor n avontuur gaan.  

Kan nog steeds nie glo julle het met die Dakars en al daai bagasie in een dag tot by Epupa gekom nie!

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 03:58:34 pm »

Jip en dit het ook nie gehelp dat ek Kevin se bike in die water laat val het nie.  Maar dis mos waaroor n avontuur gaan.  

Kan nog steeds nie glo julle het met die Dakars en al daai bagasie in een dag tot by Epupa gekom nie!

Ek wil nou nie die ride report spoil nie, maar ons het gekak daai dag!

Offline Hornet

• On a mission to see the world.
    • On a mission to see the world.
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 05:23:11 pm »
Nice report, thanks for sharing.

Offline AcidSam

• Setildas Bed and Breakfast
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 07:02:54 pm »
Sub
Since it seems to include quite a few places on my planned itinerary in Nov/Dec later this year with the family in a Defender
2007 BMW F650GS Dakar
Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you have.
We live by FAITH and not by SIGHT.

Offline DirtyHarry

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 10:09:25 pm »
You idiots are taking very nice picschas  :thumleft:
Let's have some more.

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2012, 09:42:22 pm »
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF Rally..

Offline Hermit

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • If there is no dust, I'm on the wrong road ...
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2012, 02:57:54 pm »
Manne, julle maak weer die lus groot ....   :drif:
Laat kom die foto's en die storie !
An' here I go again on my own
Goin' down the only road I've ever known,
Like a "drifter" I was born to "ride" alone
An' I've made up my mind
I ain't wasting no more time = Whitesnake

Offline DaveT

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • This is my personal text
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2012, 09:17:09 am »
Wa's die popcorn dinges...

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2012, 09:38:42 am »
Die is so nice :drif:

Het nou al weer van vooraf gelees.
Nice gedoen manne.  :thumleft:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2012, 10:22:47 am »
Day 3 Sesriem – Swakopmund 351km

During the night the continuous sound and flashes of thunder in the distance made us all slightly nervous as wet gravel roads are not ideal. We woke up to an overcast sky and dark clouds rolling in. We quickly packed up camp and as we put the bikes in 1st gear the rain started to fall. There we were riding off into the desert, in the rain – it was incredible! Luckily the rain wasn’t serious and only wet the gravel enough to keep the dust away. During that morning’s ride we probably experienced some of the most beautiful sights of the trip.

Solitaire was our brunch stop. I thought it was a town, but it’s not. It is just a couple of old farm buildings with a filling station, general dealer, small restaurant and the bakery with its world famous apple pie. That’s it. The guy that runs the bakery said we could sommer park the bikes on the restaurant’s stoep under the roof while we wait out the rain. We then stuffed our faces with blueberry pie, scones and coffee. And trust me, they probably do have the best pie in the world.

This is where Gummi got his nickname "Karools" - doing his famous pose!

After brunch we took on the long road to Swakop. Now I’m not fond of tight turns and going downhill on gravel and while going over a pass I completely lost my confidence and the pass became a nightmare for me. Round every corner it felt like I was going to go down. I started to hate that pass and the riding wasn’t fun anymore. When we got to the entrance of the Naukluft Park I was knackered and had to take a rest.

After eating a marshmallow and chocolate Easter egg (where the hell did we get those?) I was ready to take on the gravel again. And this time I didn’t hold back – I was flying! That straight road was very sandy and slippery and at one point the bike started to snake very badly, but I just kept on the gas and managed to save it. When riding like this I’m constantly thinking that if I go down now, at 100km/h, I’m completely farked! It’s a constant balance between going faster to make riding the sand easier and not to fall, but not going to fast so that if you do fall, you don’t die. I’m a very technical minded person and always compare things to the smallest detail and weigh the pros and cons of everything in life. And this mental battle in my head was eating me up. My brother, Liam, on the other hand is completely fearless and doesn’t seem to worry about anything and my “fear of falling” and stressing out was annoying him and would annoy him a few more times on this trip.

Refueling our horses

No one went down and we made it to the salt road that goes to Swakopmund. We stopped at Dune 7 for a photo and as my two riding “buddies” rode off I turned round and in the thick sand the Dakar felt it was his turn to take a rest. Now I’m standing next to my bike looking like an idiot not being able to pick it up myself, but luckily a bunch of kids came running closer and helped me pick it up. This was also the first of many times I had to pick up that Dakar.

In Swakopmund we pulled in at the Municipal Chalets, unpacked and took a ride through the town. This is actually a really nice town and surprised us all. Unfortunately we don't have pics of the town. After having the best sandwich ever we decided to look for a leke place to have beer. This was a big mistake. The pub crawling started and before we knew it, it was midnight and we were playing pool and fooseball in a local hang out packed with serious football fans watching a game – still wearing our MX boots and gear! It must have been those sandwiches…

This is where it all started!

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2012, 10:46:22 am »
Fab - Isn't Swakop just the quaintest town  ;D

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC