Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 3 Idiots take on Nam!  (Read 8988 times)

Offline Diesel & Dust

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • As die koppie klein is kak die hele lyf!!!
Re: 3 Idiots take on Nam!
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 03:25:13 pm »
Eks in - gooi maar :biggrin:
I'll take the high road. You take the psycho path...

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2012, 06:46:23 am »
:thumleft: flipping lekker guys!
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline KTM Jagermeister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2012, 07:48:19 am »
Rede waarom ons laat was vir Palmwag ....
&feature=you%E2%80%8Btu.be

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2012, 09:21:34 am »
Awesome report, keep it coming!!
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Dirtrider69

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2012, 10:18:20 am »
Rede waarom ons laat was vir Palmwag ....
&feature=you%E2%80%8Btu.be

Goeie bliksem! Daai pad lyk erger as die Kunene River pad wat ons gedoen het! Ek is moer bly dat ons julle nie gevolg het nie....
"Ride it like you stole it!"

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2012, 11:18:45 am »
Subscibed  ;D
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2012, 01:38:30 pm »
Day 4 Swakopmund – Brandberg +-340km (felt like 340 000km!!)

After the previous night’s bar hopping, playing fooseball and popping wheelies through the streets of Swakop, we woke up feeling a little less excited about the day’s riding but after a quick coffee at the garage we hit the salt road to Hentiesbaai. At Henties we stocked up on some canned food, bully beef, sweet corn, meatballs and 2 min noodles, and this would become our luxury meals for quite a few days. Now the already heavy bikes are fully loaded with camping gear, clothes, cooking stuff, spares, shit loads of canned food, 10L of fuel and 5L of water each. We were riding on elephants! After a good breakfast at a local tannie’s house/coffee shop we got on the salt road again.

Gummi not feeling to well after our late night in Swakop.

About 100km after Henties we got off the salt road onto a good gravel road that leads to Rhino Camp and then round Brandberg to White Lady Lodge – our destination. After only a few km we stopped for a rest and to have look at the maps. This is when we decided that we are real men and that real men don’t take the ordinary roads – we were going to take a “short cut” on what we presume is a road/path that goes past the Messum Crater.

The blue route is the original route, but we turned off on the black road - to take a short cut. It wasn't that short...

Liam had the GPS and was doing the navigation which means that we basically had no navigation. Soon we were on a different planet! People don’t drive this road very often and it shows. This place is so arid and remote that nothing and I mean nothing lives here. We were probably a 100km from any civilization. If the shit hits the fan here, we are truly stuffed! It was the first time in my life that I felt completely removed from civilization. With no help. We were completely alone. And its a scary feeling.

Still feeling strong on planet Mars!

I'm sure that some of you have seen this sign. Its close to..... fokol!

We also saw this Alien Midget:

It was hot and after a while the roads became very sandy. As I was telling Gummi over the Bluetooth comms that it is starting to get really sandy, he interupted me with "o, fok!!!.........Ek het neer gemoer!" I stopped, turned around and went back not knowing what to expect. Now this is no place to get hurt or brake the bike and luckily he and the Beast was still in good shape. We picked up his bike and carried on, but from thereon it just went downhill. Two wheel sandy tracks that went on for miles and miles and I just can’t ride in sand. The first few km’s I was doing o.k, but soon I was down to walking pace and just paddling the bike through the sand. Now and then I give it my all and stand up and gas it, but this only results in serious close calls and near crashes. And the slower you go, the more you work and the hotter it gets and the harder it gets. I was finished. Moer toe! I had to stop. We stopped at what looked like a Vlakvark or Hyena den, but I couldn’t be bothered. The thing could have eaten me alive – I couldn’t care less. Sitting in the shade of my bike (only shade around), Gummi forced me to eat this horrible looking bright pink polony and roll, but I knew I had to eat something to get some strength back.

I wanted to call it a day and set up camp right there, but my two lady companions didn’t like the idea of fighting off Hyenas during the night, so we continued on the road of hell. My brother, Liam, was riding the sand like a pro, hence the nickname Sandhond, and he was giving me kak all the way and getting annoyed with me for not being able to ride the sand. So, when he eventually got his turn and hit the deck, I somehow had a feeling of jealous joy and pleasure! I just had to take a mental and digital picture of this!

Daylight was fading fast and we knew we still had a long way to go. So, when we eventually got onto the “real” gravel road (which was a terrible road), I just wanted to get to camp, so I put the Dakar in racing mode! Soon Karools and Sandhond were way behind and I was flying like a mad man! First I get a lecture from Sandhond on how I should ride faster in the sand and then when we stop at the T-junction I get kakked out for riding way to fast through the sandy patches on the gravel road! WTF!

Just before the sun disappeared behind the mountains we pulled in at White Lady Lodge. We made it! But I was completely knackered and I didn’t even speak. I just sat on the steps and slowly sipped on my Crème Soda. Gummi meanwhile was making new friends and tried to teach Carlos the Meerkat new tricks.

After a hearty meal we all hit the tents to get some well earned sleep. We needed it.

Although Liam and Gummi rode the sand easier and better than me, I was the only one not to fall that day. It was a hard day for all of us and we got our first taste of the roads-less-travelled and even though I kakked, I really enjoyed the ride. Namibia was starting to flow in our blood!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:08:20 pm by Dirtrider69 »

Offline Gummi

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2012, 02:38:07 pm »
Jy skryf so mooi!! jy het net vergeet om te skryf hoe jy n veldtie moes vang toe jy begin dehidreer !! Dis hoekom ek maar die waarheid skryf in my post !! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gummi - met die fatal ingredient

Eswee .....Mad dog ......Want jy ry soos een en jy hurk soos een !!

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2012, 02:41:28 pm »
Ek het mos gesê ek het gekak daai dag!!! En nie net op die bike nie! Dit was die beste veldtie ooit....

Offline DirtyHarry

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »
I am enjoying your RR. You guys are quite funny.

I was laughing when I did read:
"This place is so arid and remote that nothing and I mean nothing lives here. We were probably a 100km from any civilization. If the shit hits the fan here, we are truly stuffed! It was the first time in my life that I felt completely removed from civilization. With no help. We were completely alone. And its a scary feeling."

3 strong okes on 3 bikes, what could possibly go wrong?  :mwink:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2012, 02:15:06 am »
I am enjoying your RR. You guys are quite funny.

I was laughing when I did read:
"This place is so arid and remote that nothing and I mean nothing lives here. We were probably a 100km from any civilization. If the shit hits the fan here, we are truly stuffed! It was the first time in my life that I felt completely removed from civilization. With no help. We were completely alone. And its a scary feeling."

3 strong okes on 3 bikes, what could possibly go wrong?  :mwink:

+1000

This is rapidly turning into a really REALLY good RR. Coffee all over my keyboard as few times.

But I was completely knackered and I didn’t even speak. I just sat on the steps and slowly sipped on my Crème Soda.
:laughing4:

I can just picture it.  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:15:36 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

theotherguy

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2012, 04:35:32 am »
excellent RR.
loving it - thanks.

Offline KTM Jagermeister

« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2012, 07:49:23 am »
Jammer om jou RR vooruit te hardloop, maar let op die 3 idiots heel aan die einde vd video http://youtu.be/OOkZFcmcwLc

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2012, 12:53:25 pm »
Jammer om jou RR vooruit te hardloop, maar let op die 3 idiots heel aan die einde vd video http://youtu.be/OOkZFcmcwLc

Jy het gestyle op daai klippe en toe moes jy maar stop omdat my Dakar in die middel van die pad gelê het!

Offline KTM Jagermeister

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2012, 09:31:42 am »

Jy het gestyle op daai klippe en toe moes jy maar stop omdat my Dakar in die middel van die pad gelê het!

Nope, kan nie die eer vat nie, dit was Kevin (aka The Bag Lady) met sy moerse pakkasie.

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2012, 05:42:13 pm »
Day 5 Brandberg – Kamanjab 239km

After yesterday’s sweating, swearing and fighting to stay alive, I was kinda looking forward to an easy day where I can actually take in and enjoy the scenery. We had a good night’s sleep and when we woke up to an awesome view of Brandberg, we felt recharged and ready to go.

We took the C35 road that goes past Khorixas to Kamanjab. This was a beautiful road and every now then we just had to stop and look at the scenery. I’ll probably mention this a few times in the report, but every single day’s riding was in a different landscape. Namibia’s landscape changes constantly and every time you think you can’t be amazed more, you are.

Brandberg. You can't really capture it on camera, but this is one moer of a rock!

I bet someones day didn't turn out quite as they planned...

As we pulled in at the filling station at Khorixas we noticed that the Beast had a flat. Luckily there was a bit of shade and some cold drinks that we got from the shop, so we weren’t too bothered about changing the tube. On our “test trip” a few weeks ago in the Waterberge the Beast also got a flat at the front wheel and this took us almost 2 hours to change – in the blistering heat. But this time we did it in 20 min! We were pretty proud as this was only the third time we’d changed a tube.

Afterwards we popped in at the lodge opposite the garage for a rest and some lunch. Although this was an easy ride we were very tired and we all mentioned that we got sleepy and lost concentration while riding. I guess that the previous day’s hard riding took its toll on us and you realize that its easy to make a mistake, even if the ride is easy.

From Khorixas to Kamanjab was give or take a 100km, so we took it easy and just enjoyed the ride. In Kamanjab we stayed at the Oppikoppi Rest Camp and I can really recommend this place – friendly people, good food, clean facilities, very cool bar and a……………. swimming pool!!! Come to Namibia on your bike, spend all day in riding gear in serious heat and you’ll soon know why we appreciated swimming pools so much.

Some days were tough...

Most of the decorations inside the bar are made of empty liquor and beer bottles. Very impressive!

Our camping spots were on these "covered cement blocks". You really had to watch your step when crawling out of your tent!

We always planned on cooking our own dinners, but after having a few cold ones we got lazy and decided to eat at the bar. The “special of the day” was either Zebra or Giraffe steak and personally a Zebra is just way too much like a horse, so we tried the Giraffe. Best steak ever! It did however feel kinda awkward with this stuffed Giraffe looking down at us having a bite of his tjommie, but hey, I was in Nam – either eat or be eaten!

Sorry if some of the pics were duplicated by me and Gummi on our RR's, but thats just the way it is.

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2012, 06:29:46 am »
Nam's the shizbizz :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2012, 04:58:24 pm »
Day 6 Kamanjab – Kunene River Lodge 357km

This was a very special day for me. I made a tick next to one of the biggest goals of this trip. But more on that a bit later.

We started with a good breakfast in the restaurant at Oppikoppi and stopped at the garage to fuel up. We got talking with a local boer and when asking us where we are going, we got out the maps and showed the oom that Kunene River Lodge was our next destination and that from there we plan to go to Epupa Falls via the “river road”. When asking him what the “river road” was like he burst out laughing! “Ek wil nou nie vir julle manne sê dat julle dit nie kan doen nie, maar glo my, hy gaan vir julle besig hou.” With that thought nervously stuck in our minds, we headed off to Raucana.

I wasn’t aware that the road from Kamanjab to Opuwa was tar and we were sort of disappointed. After traveling so many km’s on gravel, a straight, boring, tar road was the last thing we wanted to ride. But nevertheless, we were excited to get to the North of Nam, so we just twisted those throttles. The scenery was beautiful and with so many signs warning you of elephants, we were really hoping to see them - obviously not up close as he’s trampling you to death, but to see them would have been very cool. But we only saw lots of elephant crap on the road, lots. We actually had this theory that someone with a bakkie was driving this road and throwing elephant crap of the back of it.

From the turn off that goes to Opuwa the road luckily became gravel and we were happy to take on the sand and lose gravel again. By now it was hot as hell! We stopped a couple of times for a snack and a sip of water and its only then that you realize how hot it really is.

At Raucana we fueled the bikes and grabbed a bite to eat at the garage shop. This little shop had everything for sale – clothing, car spares, machetes, knives, fishing gear, food, take aways……. everything! They warmed up some burgers in the microwave for us and the piece of paper in the display counter clearly said “chicken schnitzel burger”, but this “chicken” patty flaked like fish meat but tasted a bit like chicken. And when eating a warmed up burger from an African garage, you are already taking a change, but man, I really enjoyed that burger! Chicken/fish – we still have no idea what we really ate that day…

The boer at the Kamanjab garage suggested that we go see Raucana Falls. We drove up and down the road that is supposed to go to the falls, but we couldn’t find it. Eventually we asked the officials at the South African side of the SA/Angola border post and it turns out that you actually have to go through the SA border side and go down a small gravel road to see the falls. They did however make it clear that we shouldn’t go to the Angolan side. What a disappointment! As luck would have it, the sluices were closed only the day before. No water and no waterfall.

It was very hot and we were eager to get onto the gravel again. We were told that this gravel road to Kunene River Lodge could be rough at times, but that it is not too bad at the moment. What a road! Steep climbs, rocky sections, stream crossings, two wheel tracks, it had everything a DS bike could want! This was good riding.

Going downhill on a lose rocky section I took the wrong line and ended up on the side of the road and as I got to halt, the bike toppled over and it was just too heavy to hold upright – so it took a rest. Gummi was far behind me, but when he came over the hill and saw my bike lying on its side, he also ended up sliding into the side of the road. It’s amazing how, that if you see someone else fall or going through a rough patch, you automatically prepare for the same and lose confidence all of a sudden. “Visual Perception”, I think it’s called. It’s better not to look at someone else when you are riding difficult terrain – it messes with your head. Just do your own thing.

Obviously it’s not just bikes that fall over…

Flying on the good sections!

Taking it slow on the not-so-good sections...

The road got smaller and smaller and became a two wheel track that snaked through the hills and the palm trees. We crossed many streams and rode sandy patches – it just got better. And when we came round this one sandy corner, I saw it. The mighty Kunene! We made it! We have ridden our bikes right up to the edge of the Kunene River and I could see Angola on the opposite side! When I was planning for this trip and reading all of the ride reports and checking out the pics, this part of Namibia intrigued me the most and I showed my riding buddies the pics of the “river road” next to the Kunene and told them: “this is where we are going!” I really wanted to see this place, and I had reached my goal! My brother didn’t share my enthusiasm and didn’t even stop here – he just kept riding the sand tracks like a Sandhond.

We continued on the track, crossing a few streams.

A few km’s further we reached Kunene River Lodge and we were given a beautiful camping spot – right on the river’s edge. Gummi was slightly concerned about the crocodiles, but I assured him that the crocs won’t bother us. Two days later we however found out that a dog, one of the cattle and a worker’s brother was taken by a croc…

We also met some interesting people here. We met these two ladies with their dog, who were on their way to Mali in North Africa for a 3 day music festival that’s happening in Feb 2013! They are driving up for 7 months in an old Landrover, spending 3 days at the festival and then driving back to SA! And we thought we were doing something “big”…

Kunene River lodge is an amazing campsite. If you ever come to this area, you simply have to stay here. The wooden deck extends over the water where you can have a couple of cold ones or even dinner from the restaurant. We saved money by cooking for ourselves and had a few cold ones instead. They sell braai packs at the bar, so that night we had a proper braai………..with sweet corn and baked beans again, off course.

We had some great riding and we camped right next to the Kunene River – a good day in all. The next day we would be tackling the “river road” to Epupa Falls. The next day would be a big one, THE big one!

Just a teaser of the next post...

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:08:10 pm by Dirtrider69 »

Offline Breekbeen

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses.
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2012, 05:41:45 pm »

Wil nie hoes, poep, skinder,kakpraat, paniek of onrus saai nie, maar..............
Die foto lyk nogals jags.
 :thumleft:
YAMAHA WR450F ; YAMAHA XT660Z TENERE '12(sold)

An Adventure is waiting.... just go look for it.

Offline Dirtrider69

« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2012, 11:44:06 am »
You all might be wondering why there are two RR's for this trip. Well, Gummi and I wanted to give our experiences and so we decided to do two seperate ones. We try not to duplicate pictures, but sometimes there is only one picture of the place and then we have no choice. So if it bores you to read both RR's, then don't. But if you don't want to work or don't have any friends and no where to go on a Friday night, then read both. I'm sure there are worse things to do.

Anyway...

Day 7 Kunene River Lodge – Epupa Falls 96km (supposed to be….)

We met these other bike riders (some also WD’s) that were doing the same route for the day and we all first had a proper breakfast to prepare us for the day. But to be honest – I don’t think anything could have prepared us for what we were about to endure. Before the trip we were always concerned about Van Zyl’s Pass, but then a few people, including Hermit (WD) told us that this “Epupa river road” is way worse than Van Zyls and that if you can manage this section, you can manage anything. So, knowing that this was probably going to be a hard day, we set off.

The first 20km or so was relatively easy and I was enjoying the ride. That was up until we got to this lose rocky downhill that you have to go down in this ”S” line. Did I mention that I am not fond of going downhill? I HATE going downhill! For some reason it completely freaks me out.

And this was one moer of a downhill section!

I make it to the bottom without crashing (to my surprise…)

After this the uphill sections started and some of these hill climbs were quite something. We are used to riding little plastic bikes at De Wildt, and for those of you who know De Wildt, some of these hill climbs were worse than Longrocks. But this time we were on 200kg+ bikes with maybe 40kg of luggage and fuel strapped on the back – we had to dig deep!

We soon got into a routine where the front rider would stop at the top and walk down to help the other riders. This was mostly done by Liam and he was soon becoming very annoyed and upset with us! I was obviously the one at the back and was doing most of the falling over.

Gummi giving me pointers on what line to take.

I walk down to help Gummi.

You don't want to be standing behind the Beast - just ask Liam!

At the top of a hill the KTM riders we met the previous day caught up with us and we all took a breather.

Luckily no one had any real crashes, but just fell over because the bikes were just too heavy. We all fell over, but I was the only one that took pictures of my bike lying on its side. Maybe the other two felt that if there was no proof that maybe it never happened?

When I was coming round a corner and was just about to get on the gas to keep momentum for the next hill climb, I got this sight – The Beast was down and Karools was just sitting next to it in a tiny bit of shade. Almost looking lonely. I parked my bike at the bottom and walked up to help him. Now this was a bit of a struggle to get the heavy Beast into the rut to give it a clear line up. But with teamwork and lots of roosting, Gummi got to the top. Then I had to walk down again and take on the hill with the Dakar.

Take on a hill, moer over, wait for someone to walk down, pick it up and try again. This is how it went on for hours and hours. At one hill Gummi falls over, walks down to help me pick up the Dakar, we both get to his bike, we pick it up and when he presses the happy button – nothing! The inevitable has happened. The Beast was dead. The KTM 990 would not start. (I just know that all you BMW riders are now having a chuckle!). And yes, I’m sure that this “KTM not starting” problem has been documented before. But now was not the time for debating which bike was better. Let me explain. We were standing in full gear on a rocky hill climb, in the scorching heat with no shade, and we were deadly tired. And we realized what had to be done to bring the Beast back to life – take off all my luggage and tank bag, take off the seat and loosen some of the plastics to get to the Dakar’s battery, and then jumpstart the 990. And then put everything back!! We were not happy. (Maybe someone can tell me if there’s an easier way to get to the battery). The Beast started and we told Gummi to just go and not to stall that thing again.

By now I was very tired and was running on empty. I could feel that I was coming close to running out of energy. After a few km’s my brother and I got to where Gummi had stopped and we took a well deserved rest. Liam and Gummi took some pictures with the locals (I couldn’t be bothered at that stage), and then we struggled on. Hill after hill, riverbed after riverbed, rocks after rocks – it just never seemed to end.

When we stopped for the next rest, I got off my bike, took off my jacket and just collapsed on the ground. I was farked! Finished. Completely drained of any energy and resources. I seriously thought that I might die that day. No jokes. Gummi got some water from the river and poured it all over me because I was burning up. We rested there for maybe an hour and although I was in worse shape, the other two were also feeling the strain. After some food and water and a good rest I felt better and we continued.

I was feeling much better and even though there were many more hill climbs and difficult sections, I felt good and enjoyed the riding. We stopped once more to rest and take in the amazing scenery. This place is truly beautiful.

The road got better and because we were running late, we soon got into a fast riding pace and started to eat the km’s. The road to Epupa Falls is 96km, to be precise, so we were constantly keeping an eye on the odometers. With about 20km to go, the 990 got a flat at the front wheel. Again! What is it with this bike and front wheel flats? This wasn’t good. We were gatvol, tired and in no mood for this, but what can you do? Off comes the wheel, in goes the new tube, start to inflate it – nothing. We pinched the bloody tube! Shit! We had to change the tube for a second time. We do what we have to do and get on with it.

Then we really start chasing the km’s. When we got to 96km there was still no sign of life, never mind a campsite. We decided to keep going as daylight was fading fast. The km’s ticked by one by one and soon we realized that we had messed up somewhere. We were on the wrong road!

The GPS only shows that we are nowhere near the river road and that there should be a main road somewhere in the distance. We pushed on. And then. And then! First the 990 died, then I almost died, then we start running out of water, then the 990 gets a flat, then we get lost and then……….…… then I drop my bike in a riverbed and brake my clutch lever! Fuck!!!! Now I’m de moer in with myself for making stupid mistakes and costing us time. It's not like I'm a very bad rider (well, I'm not Cyril Despres either), but I kept on making stupid mistakes!

Gummi kept calm and helped me to change the lever. Now we had no more spare 21” tubes and no spare clutch levers for the Dakars and this was worrying me as we rode further. I knew that if we mess up now, we are stuffed. The road became thick sandy, two wheel tracks and I did what I do best – I put the Dakar in race mode and just rode like a Maddog! Only stopping every 5km to wait for my buddies. By now the sun was almost gone and there was no sign of a road, so I felt that we should just accept defeat, stop and set up camp while there is still some light. There’s no use in trying to ride these sandy tracks in the dark and risking injuries or breaking the bikes. “Let’s just stop! We’re lost anyway, we shouldn’t ride in the dark!” I shouted over the comms to Gummi. I wasn’t bothered about camping in the middle of the bush, it would have been kinda exciting actually. Make a fire, eat noodles and baked beans, fight off some wild animal……..I kinda liked the idea. But Gummi wasn’t having any of that. He wanted to push on. I don’t think that he minded the idea of camping in the bush, but I think that he at least wanted to know where, in the bush, we were. Because we had no idea where the hell we were. My brother was in front and as the sun disappeared I looked up and I saw him make a sharp right turn and stop. That’s when I decided enough is enough, and NOW is the time to stop riding. It was pitch black and as I got to him and wanted to tell him that this is the end, the bush opened up and my bike rolled onto a big, smooth graded gravel road. We had made it to the main road! It was all over and we had some idea of where we were. Now the first and biggest rule in Namibia is to “NEVER, ever ride in the dark”. Screw that rule! We didn’t come this far to stop now. Tonight we are sleeping in the campsite!

The GPS said it was something like 20km to Epupa Campsite, so we headed off. We rode next to each other with the 990 in the middle. This gave us more light and we could see the road a bit better. Not even 5 min on that road and the Springbokke were running across the road in front of us. We were taking a big risk here by riding in the dark. All of a sudden this rabbit ran into the road right in front of me. What do you do? Hit the brakes and swerve violently? Well, sadly, I have to say that, that night I send a cute, fluffy little rabbit to bunny heaven. And I did feel bad about it for a while. But only for a while. After what felt like 20km, Liam told us that the GPS said it was still 17km to go. What?! Liam was not impressed with the GPS and had a few words to say about GPS’s. I wouldn't mention those words as there might be kids reading this.

I think it was just after 20:00 when we pulled in to Epupa Campsite. We had done it!!!! We had done the 96km “river road” from Kunene River Lodge to Epupa Falls.  Obviously we had done way more than 96km, maybe 140km. Who knows? Who cares? We made it and that’s all that mattered!

Again the friendly people of Namibia made us feel welcome at their campsite and organized us a meal – the best Russian & Chips I’ve ever had! Then they offered one of the half built chalets to us where we could crash. After the meal and a shower we rolled out the sleeping bags and went to bed. We didn't even have a single beer. But we made up for that the next day!!

We had spent more than 10 hours doing that 100 odd km river road. Honestly, it’s not easy, but if any of you ever come to this region – you have to do this road! It was the best riding day of my life!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:02:26 pm by Dirtrider69 »