Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 3 Idiots take on NAM_KTM view  (Read 6528 times)

Offline HansF

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: 3 Idiots take on NAM_KTM view
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2012, 09:20:27 pm »
Thanks for sharing, great report. Got more than you bargain for?
KTM 1290 Super Adventure T & R
KTM 690 Enduro R
GRIZZLY 700
GRIZZLY 660
GRIZZLY 350

Offline Marnus

• Race Dog
  • Yeeeeehaaaa!
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2012, 07:32:12 pm »
Excellent stuff!  :thumleft:

Usually when things aren't going according to the plan are the bits that make the fondest memories!!

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2012, 10:25:59 pm »
Really nice report and good riding, bring on the next ASAP
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline bungycool

• Race Dog
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:47 am »
Good rr thanks for putting the effort in ! 
If your'e going to do something do it with conviction!

Offline Gummi

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2012, 11:18:07 am »
Day 10 - doing the responsible thing +/- 400km................... Deep Sigh ...........

After much debate we realise it is not worth the risk to just ride into the Kaokoland knowing that you will run out of fuel and that you don't have sufficient parts and hoping that there would be someone passing by that will borrow you fuel and maybe can assist........ FAAAARRRKKK...........

We start packing our bags the next morning and reroute to Palmwag via Sesfontein...... there is a sad mood in the camp..... we keep on reminding ourselves of the tough day we had 2 days ago and the local indicating that if we can do the Kunene pass up Van Zyls down will be a breeze..... but it is not the same......

We take a long look at the permanent marker (Pen) we brought with to write our names on the rock at Van Zyls.....and shed a tear..... we say f' it and pack our bags and head off to Sesfontein..........

Before we make the gate , you hear "o f*k" over the blue tooth as Liam has forgotten something ..................

Eswee/Mad dog checks his oil and it is empty.............. we spend the next 2 hours looking for oil at the three campsites and eventually the one camp had some to spare ............. maybe a good thing we did not head into Kaokoland ........

We hit the road, the first few km's is very familiar since it is the road we drove in on a few nights ago when we got lost....

The plan for today is ..... make Sesfontein, have something to drink then head off to Palmwag, at Palmwag we should meet the other group and they promised to have 2 spare tubes for us on their backup vehicle............

We ended up leaving a bit late that morning so the heat attacks us...............

We stop at a local shop somewhere , buy some energades and some local gifts for the loved ones back home........

Not many pictures get taken that day , I assume as we all are a bit sad......

We eventually get to Sesfontein and meet up with the other groups' back up vehicle, seems they are still stuck in the mountains somewhere , we have a drink at the local resort (and only have this pic of it) and then we head off to Palmwag

We get to Palmwag a bit late at around 5 that evening........ unfortunately they are fully booked......ugh..........

As usual the friendly Namibians make a plan and give us a spot on the corner somewhere........ there are no shops and nothing to buy , we ask the local lady of the resort if we can buy some bread from the restaurant , she was not sure, but a old lady camping next to us hears this and shouts that she has a bread for us.............

We are hungry as hell , and we send Shameless/Sandhond/Liam over to collect. The sweet old Lady adopts us on the spot and reckons whatever we need we must just ask. She is even willing to give us a can of ham , but she cannot find it and immediately blames her husband for packing like his ass. Like any good old lady she then inquires what we do for a living and starts telling us about her grand children and what they have in common with us etc etc. Felt like we were in Matric again all over...........

We do the usual and this is our typical layout.............

We have a very slow evening.. and go to bed early and for the first time no beers...... the other group never arrives there either and later we would learn that they got stuck in the mountains.. and stayed over at sesfontein.

The idea for tomorrow is easy............... wake up early for a change........ leave early so we can see some animals and get to Spitskoppe ............. explore at Spitskoppe and have some beer for a change..............

We decide to leave Liam in charge of waking us up early !! we want to be on the road at sunrise , not a minute later.........

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:26:38 am by Gummi »

Offline Gummi

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2012, 06:57:21 pm »
Day 11 - Palmwag to spitskoppe - +/- 400km day - via Twyfelfontein, burnt mountain etc.

Liam wakes us up, it is time to pack and get going, as we arranged we want to get going as soon as the sun comes out ...... like a well oiled machine we start packing our bags, it is extremely dark so it goes a bit slower than expected , we make coffee on the gas stove , have some bread with Pilchards (Liam refuses to eat pilchards)

We are getting suspicious as there is no sign of the sun even and no one in camp is waking up either ......

Everything is packed up and we are ready to ride .........

We ask Liam whats the time..................... need I say more............

He messed it up!! and it is just after 4 am or something like that , faaaarkk

We all know the rule - don't ride in the dark - that applies normally to evening rides but hey we can rewrite the rules now - morning darkness is dark as well!!!

We are now huddled in the cold with all our bags packed and kitted but there is no sun or any sign of the sun even, it is  dark ..........He tries to avoid the situation by telling us how amazing those rok straps are ..........

Eventually the sun comes up and we are the first ones out, the gate of the camp site is not even open and we open it, but this is what we see on the way there.....

Gemsbokke all over

We continue for about 2km's and there is a gate in the road, our immediate thoughts are that it is so early that the town is not even open as yet  :)  .... however the local enforcement opens it, it was for the game .....

The whole morning we spot game all over, all kinds but it is hard to capture it on camera, at a point in time we come across a extremely sad sight ..................

It seems like the kudu either got hit by a car or got startled and fell and got hurt, it is in good shape but it cannot walk, we are overcome by a feeling of helplessness, we realise we have to kill it but we have absolutely nothing to our disposal, the only thing we do have between the 3 of us is a swiss army knife ...... now we do know that we are idiots but hey this is taking it too far, the Kudu is still extremely strong and we will be the ones tat will require a mercy killing if we get to close to it.

We wait a while hoping for a passing car or something , but nothing .........

We make a decision to go look for help and as soon as we see some house or local on the side of the road we will inform them so they can go and utilise it ..........

Not a good moment .........

We continue on to twyfelfontein , we eventually get to burnt mountain and the "pipes" but truly it is not wort the effort,

On the way there , the road is lekker though

The burnt mountains

We drive up to the famous resort and WOW!!! It is amazing, in the middle of nowhere just this beautiful place........... we have a coffee

Bushman drawings

On my way in I noticed that they had fuel, so I ask around and they send me to the local workshop. Everybody knows the rule - when you see fuel fill up no matter what !!

We go looking for the local and he eventually helps us

Eswee decides not to fuel .... Liam takes on some fuel to make payment easier as we have R100 notes with us. We drive all the way back on the road and continue to Uis .......

We eventually arrive at Uis (This is a big town in Nam terms - about 6 shops and 2 garages) and we have lunch at a local coffee shop, walk across the road to buy water as we are heading off to Spitzkoppe, where we are intending to stay in the community camp which has no water or anything .......

Some of us needs fuel so we drive to the garage, and ofcourse they don't have any fuel ...........no worries ... we drive to the next garage ............................... and they dont have any fuel either  ..........................AMAZING

Back to the coffee shop to find out when is the next delivery of fuel or what alternatives there are ...................

Again a friendly local helps us , but there are no options this time, all distances are too far and we are not driving back ........ no alternatives, no one to beg fuel from ..........

We make a informed decision to aim for Spitskoppe , maybe we can ask for fuel there .........

We should make Spitskoppe from there it is uncertain , but the KTM will continue on and bring back fuel ..........It is a awkward feeling when you plan to run out of fuel........................

The road to Spitskoppe is beautiful, the okes are nursing their bikes to keep wastage down , it doesn't bother me as my back tyre is now starting to disintegrate basically - keep in mind that I have traveled another 800km's by now since it was finished......

We arrive at Spitskoppe and boy o boy was it worth it .....

the local community welcomes us with open arms, we have a option, sleeping in a local "cabin" or camping, we check out the local "cabin" and it looks ok, so we take it. At R 150 per person or something like that, immediately we go to their tuck shop, they have 2 Cokes , 1 Sprite and 12 beers, I buy it all !!!

We go exploring and it is truly majestic !! Really really nice....

Some familiar faces pop in

Sandhond Jump

Hercules

Even Karools

We get back just before sunset and kill off the beers, now we are stuffed , the 2 staff member reckons they are done for the evening (its about 5 o'clock) and they do not think anyone will still come to camp, so they will lock us in the reserve basically , plus they have no catering to do as stock is sold out.

In true namibian style she ask if she can get us more beer ......... ;D   Of course we give her some money to bring us just a modest 6 beers and maybe some firewood, no on knows from where as there is nothing in the area, she disappears....

About an hour later and still nothing, so we shrug our shoulders and reckon it is fine, they got us , we are are used to it , it happens and maybe some South African taught her the hustle,

About another 30 minutes later a white bakkie comes driving into the resort ........ how is this possible it is locked, at the back is the lady , they drop off fire wood at our site and she hands us 3 of the coldest Quarts in the world ......... She tells us she could not find dumpies ....... immediately we regret not getting more .......... we give her the change and she does not comprehend , we say it is for the effort etc. , its a tip , but she keep on giving it back to us, eventually she says if we want to thank her we must just leave some meat behind or something to eat ............. How amazing are the Namibians... we still insist that she takes the money ............... and the next day we leave all our food that we had with us .

That night we have our beers, we have some whisky that Mad dog brought along and we sit around a fire surrounded by majestic rock under the African sky .................this is the life.......................

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:40:55 am by Gummi »

Offline dirtyXT

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2012, 08:36:23 pm »
Man o man. Sounds like a proper trip. Ups and downs. Battle on chaps.
Bike history:
Ital jet 50 - sold, DT 50 - scrapped - AR80 - sold DT185 - confiscated  KDX250 - sold ZZR400 - sold KX500 - XT660R Swapped for R1 YZF R1 - sold - XT660Z - sold

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Grey hound
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2012, 08:40:09 pm »
Man o man. Sounds like a proper trip. Ups and downs. Battle on chaps.

Epic trip...I concur!!!  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2012, 08:50:15 pm »
I can slowly understand where the idea of your header comes from  :mwink:

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2012, 05:46:37 am »
Schmaak it :thumleft:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Tengai

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • The wisest mind has something yet to learn!
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14:37 am »
Nice report. Keep on posting :mwink:
BMW 1200 Adv
KTM640 Adv.
Honda XL185 / Honda XL500 / Yamaha XT500
KLR650 / BMW 1150 GS
Kawasaki KLR650 Tengai / Suzuki DR800 BIG

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2012, 09:27:42 am »
Why can I only see the firts photo of day11 :'( :'(

Offline Diesel & Dust

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • As die koppie klein is kak die hele lyf!!!
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2012, 09:32:53 am »
Why can I only see the firts photo of day11 :'( :'(

me 2 :deal:
I'll take the high road. You take the psycho path...

Offline Gummi

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2012, 09:43:12 am »
Sorry , not sure what happened, see updated version.....

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2012, 09:47:21 am »
 ;D ;D
Dankie fokken tog. This RR is very important to me. Gets me throught the day :D

Offline Gummi

« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2012, 10:42:25 am »
Glad I can help you okes to get through a Friday, that was the idea last night ,so everyone can sit back and read something before heading out for some beers this afternoon.....,

See below some bonus pics to make up for the above ............

Giraffe's on the way to Spitskoppe....

Uis Coffee Shop, notice that we are always alone, no one else in the shops etc......

Spitskoppe in perspective ......... note the bike at the bottom....(very small next to tree)

the bike closer up .....

That awkward moment when your buddy wants a pic with you, and he hasn't got his shirt on (skin on skin with a chommy.... not ideal) ........... Look at my face vs his.....

This was the tuck shop at Spitskoppe after the beers and before the Quarts.....someone came out to play ....

I got this shot of Liam .... looked like he was trance dancing or something in the wild........

Still nice scenery in the background though

Sandhond at his best!! Wish we could strap him down with those rokstraps!!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:49:32 am by Gummi »

Offline wimpie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2012, 11:01:08 am »
You guys make very nice report. Well done, you took a big chunck of Namibia.
Die honde lek mekaar se wonde

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2012, 11:59:48 am »
You guys make very nice report. Well done, you took a big chunck of Namibia.
+1 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline Tengai

• Race Dog
  • The wisest mind has something yet to learn!
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2012, 02:34:06 pm »
 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :mwink: :mwink: Keep it coming without the "skin" contact  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
BMW 1200 Adv
KTM640 Adv.
Honda XL185 / Honda XL500 / Yamaha XT500
KLR650 / BMW 1150 GS
Kawasaki KLR650 Tengai / Suzuki DR800 BIG

Offline Boerha

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2012, 09:24:09 pm »
moerse nice!!!!