Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Thumpers and Single Bangers - What is your kicking secret  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Vintage_Mania

Thumpers and Single Bangers - What is your kicking secret
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:28:11 pm »
Al die honde met R's praat van die regte "kicking procedure". Nou hoekom verduidelik een van julle R manne nie bietjie wat die trick is nie. En sommer die ander ouens ook wat bangers ry of gery het. Wat was jou starting procedure? Op my DR500 was die trick as volg: trek die de-comp lever en los hom. Dan trap jy die kick-starter stadig deur tot die de-comp self terug "klick", laat die starter opkom en dan laat wiel jy. First time every time.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: Thumpers and Single Bangers - What is your kicking secret
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:39:57 pm »
On the XT 500 I checked the decomp window to see where the cam was like a total noob, it did start though but had some close shaves with it kicking back. I do not miss it !
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Dux

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:57:44 pm »
Two things to a good start , firstly do not touch the throttle , from what I have seen the elbow seems to be attached to the knee so every time they kick the throttle is opened , secondly is to give a good solid kick , if you are tired just relax for a bit then try again .
If the bike has flooded then open the throttle full and pull in the manual decompressor , kick the bike through 5 or 6 times then hand off the throttle and give a good kick .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline ahlbebuck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:59:17 pm »
First requirement: sturdy boots with ankle protection. Known a few "cool cats" who got serious ankle / foot / shin damage trying to kick Big Red Pigs with Hang Ten plakkies....
If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:18 pm »
I am not sure about other R's but with mine is it fairly simple.

Point 1 is to remember to put the fuel on.. yes, I have kicked the bike in it's chops for 2 hours then remembered to switch the fuel om.. idiot.. and I gooi the choke on up 2 notches.

Pull in the decompression leaver and chat to a mate while you kick through a few times, I find that the more I kick here the better, I find that 7 - 10 times is enough but I go to 12 - 15 kicks, it is light work but it helps to just get the oil moving around .. and gets the blood flowing through the leg.  :thumleft:

Then I bring the kickstart all the way up to the top and with the decompression off I push till the piston stops the free movement.

Pull in the decompression leaver and stand on the kickstart just to take it down a touch just to give the piston a little space.

Stand up and kick like you are standing to attention in the army, I kick through the kickstart, I don't kick at it.

If it does not take 1st time, I give the throttle a blip or 2 and gooi the same procedure but there is no need to do the whole decompression kicking again, if it does not take 2nd time I switch the choke back to normal position and gooi again

if it has not started like this I am either.. 1) not kicking hard enough or 2) not kicking hard enough  :imaposer:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24:46 pm »
Two things to a good start , firstly do not touch the throttle , from what I have seen the elbow seems to be attached to the knee so every time they kick the throttle is opened , secondly is to give a good solid kick , if you are tired just relax for a bit then try again .
If the bike has flooded then open the throttle full and pull in the manual decompressor , kick the bike through 5 or 6 times then hand off the throttle and give a good kick .

That is good advice.. I learn't that the hard way in the quarry.. I will give it to the happy button okes, on that day I was cursing while Crossed-up kust smiled, everyone in the group took turns kicking in 2 min shifts.

if i was told this earlier it would have saved me a case of dehydration.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline ahlbebuck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:32:43 pm »
Fuzzy, I also spent many a frustrating hour trying to kick the living shit out of my 600R, while never checking the fuel cock! The more tired you get, the less likely you are of looking for something as elementary as that.  ;D

Another cure: I got very good at removing, cleaning and replacing the plug on my 600 in record time. This usually resulted in an immediate start next kick.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:34:54 pm by ahlbebuck »
If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

Offline JC

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:06 pm »
cold or hot same except for choke
find TDC (where kick start lever has resistance) | decomp in | press down just past TDC | let lever come up | kick through (more of a push through, not a short hard kick like a 2 stroke)

after fall keep throttle wide open and decomp in, kick 7 times and then follow normal start procedure

when it is cold I turn the idle up a bit before I start

edit: and NO throttle until it goes
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:42:50 pm by JC »

Offline Sparky

• a darkside
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 09:46:18 pm »
cold or hot same except for choke
find TDC (where kick start lever has resistance) | decomp in | press down just past TDC | let lever come up | kick through (more of a push through, not a short hard kick like a 2 stroke)

after fall keep throttle wide open and decomp in, kick 7 times and then follow normal start procedure

when it is cold I turn the idle up a bit before I start

edit: and NO throttle until it goes
Dit klink verskriklik complicated.

Maar ek het hom dit al sien doen. Die bike start elke keer, 1ste skop :thumleft:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:46:56 pm by Sparky »
"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Online RedWolf

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:09:03 pm »
This post is especially meant for JonW for when he gets his XR650R over the weekend or monday / tuesday???

When the bike is cold:
1.  Put the kill switch on.. (remember this)
2.  Open the fuel tap
3.  Put choke under the tank on setting 2
4.  DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE
5.  Put bike in neutral
6.  Pull in decompression lever
7.  Push kickstarter through 5 times
8.  Release decompressin lever
9.  Kick starter through till you feel heavy resistance (TDC) - about 75% down the kickstarter travel
10. Pull decompression lever and step through the 'hardness'
11. Release decompression lever
12. Let kickstarter return to the top of the stroke
13. Give one hard kick
14. If she doesn't start give another hard kick from the top of the kickstarter stroke.
15. If she doesn't start begin at point 9 again..
16. If bike is idling remember to return choke to close position again.

When the bike is warm:
Do points 12-15 above.

When bike falls over while HOT:
Either use the technique that DUX explained or put bike in neutral, open throttle full and give one hard kick. The last mentioned one has always worked for me.. :thumleft: Just remember to tap off quickly.. :thumleft:

So folks, now you know the raindance.. :imaposer:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:11:59 pm by RedWolf »
Trust that little voice in your head that says 'Wouldn't it be interesting if...'; And then do it.

Offline Firesquirrel

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:09:18 pm »
Kicking secret...............
Current Bikes :  KTM 690

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 11:20:35 pm »
This post is especially meant for JonW for when he gets his XR650R over the weekend or monday / tuesday???

When the bike is cold:
1.  Put the kill switch on.. (remember this)
2.  Open the fuel tap
3.  Put choke under the tank on setting 2
4.  DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE
5.  Put bike in neutral
6.  Pull in decompression lever
7.  Push kickstarter through 5 times
8.  Release decompressin lever
9.  Kick starter through till you feel heavy resistance (TDC) - about 75% down the kickstarter travel
10. Pull decompression lever and step through the 'hardness'
11. Release decompression lever
12. Let kickstarter return to the top of the stroke
13. Give one hard kick
14. If she doesn't start give another hard kick from the top of the kickstarter stroke.
15. If she doesn't start begin at point 9 again..
16. If bike is idling remember to return choke to close position again.

When the bike is warm:
Do points 12-15 above.

When bike falls over while HOT:
Either use the technique that DUX explained or put bike in neutral, open throttle full and give one hard kick. The last mentioned one has always worked for me.. :thumleft: Just remember to tap off quickly.. :thumleft:

So folks, now you know the raindance.. :imaposer:

Thanks for the trouble RedWolf, i really appreciate your effort  :thumleft:
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26:03 pm »
Fuzzy, I also spent many a frustrating hour trying to kick the living shit out of my 600R, while never checking the fuel cock! The more tired you get, the less likely you are of looking for something as elementary as that.  ;D

Also, on the R, no key but the kill switch is a toggle switch, not just a button, toggle it on  :mwink:
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline ChinaPete

• 乘风破浪
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 06:53:28 am »
A lot of info from the R riders. Waar is die ander ouens? Die XT ouens. Of die heel ou XR manne wat nie die luuksheid van de-comp gehad het nie. En die maermery stories? Hakskene af?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 06:59:20 am »
Laat die Antie julle wys hoe word dit gedoen:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2VaNYGvI6Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/N2VaNYGvI6Q</a>

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 07:38:35 am »
Another good one, not only on starting: 
http://www.honda-xr650r.com/

I also have spring weight charts, gearing charts, jetting charts...  pm me your e-mail and I'll send!
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 08:09:17 am »
Al die honde met R's praat van die regte "kicking procedure". Nou hoekom verduidelik een van julle R manne nie bietjie wat die trick is nie. En sommer die ander ouens ook wat bangers ry of gery het. Wat was jou starting procedure? Op my DR500 was die trick as volg: trek die de-comp lever en los hom. Dan trap jy die kick-starter stadig deur tot die de-comp self terug "klick", laat die starter opkom en dan laat wiel jy. First time every time.

The secret is that DRs are easy to kick! My DR is the same, you just need to give one serious kick, half hearted kicks don't work.  :deal:

These XR's seem helluva complex to start  :o

My starting procedure is:
1. Fuel on
2. Wait a few seconds for the fuel to run through
3. Pull decomp lever and turn engine until is clicks out
4. Give 1 huge kick
5. If here didn't kick hard enough so try again...

Easy
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:14:55 am by DeepBass9 »

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 08:17:00 am »
Ek en ander het al probeer om my 640 te kickstart sonder geluk  :-[
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline lecap

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 08:22:18 am »
Only bikes that ever gave me problems:

Enfield Bullet 350 which did not have the rubber coating on the kick starter any more. Only the nasty sharp edged "washer" that's supposed to hold it in place. I tried to start the bike wearing espandrillos (those biodegradable sisal & canvas "shoes") and shorts ::) Lost a bit of skin off my shin. Eina.

An SR500 which I had sold a few months earlier. Customer phones and says the bike won't start. After he confirmed he did try a new spark plug I pack my tools into the car and drive to the other end of Munich.
Kick three times. Nothing.
Put new plug in. Starts first kick.
Turns out he had tried ANOTHER plug. Another old, dead one ::)

A KTM 250 two smoker. Bike was plated and therefore had to get a roadworthy / TÜV every other year. The guy drops it off with me and explains that for the roadworthy he put the corked road legal zorst on but did not bother to change the carb jetting and the bike is therefore "a bit hesitant" ::) to start.
After checking and readying everything for the test I try top kick the damn thing for I don't know how long. Just when I consider phoning the customer to tell him to take the piece of junk through the test himself it starts.
Onto the bike & ride it through town (had to get to a tester I knew due to the "minor gearbox oil leak without imminent danger of oil dripping off" - it left puddles behind when parked ::) )
With the gross carb - zorst mismatch the thing was a totally unrideable bitch as the powerband was actually narrower than the gaps between the gears. I stalled it once when trying to pull away but got it runnnig just in time for the next robot phase.
Got to testing station, everything checked ok, now the dude tells me: "You start it for me, you know, kickstart? You're better at that"
About an hour and three buckets of sweat later the testing station closes and the tester agrees to store the bike overnight for the customer to start it the next day for the obligatory test run. He also promises to give me a lift back to the workshop.
I say: "F*** that thing, I'll try one more time! And it starts!!!
Tester on, around the block, swop riders, sticker onto number plate and I made it back to the shop without stalling :cheers:
Kranke Teile Mattighofen. My leg still hurts from thinking about it ::)

Andrew's KL600 before the rebore. A bitch turned a beaut after the well deserved and overdue rebuild gave the engine some much needed compression.

The BMW Airhead "Katapult" is a bit of a joke. Tried it once or twice on a R90 and decided it's best to keep the electric starter & battery in good nick. Interestingly the "Katapult" works just fine on the Ural probably due to lower displacement and compression.

Two things: DIR and make sure the bike is on good nick (which includes making fuel and sparks available to the engine)

Not scared of kick starters. I must admit I have an unfair advantage having started my two wheeled life on an SR500 :thumleft:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)