Welcome to Wild Dog Adventure Riding
"come ride Southern Africa"

Forum Time : September 01, 2014, 10:53:17 pm
Toolquip Your Motorcycle Magazine Leatt - Engineered for Performance For all your offroad & motorcycle needs Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories Molvik Performance Tuning Gravel Man Services
HomeHelpCalendarLoginRegisterNew PostsNew RepliesWild Dog Shop Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: 2014 Kalahari bash - see http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=151491.0

For payments and registration - see http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=157602.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE  (Read 1855 times)
Stevie

Bike: Suzuki DR350

SSS

View Profile
JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « on: May 14, 2012, 01:15:01 pm »

Jim's Preamble:  
I had ridden the Kruger Park fence 3 times in the past, but not the whole length of the fence in one session.  First time was solo on a railway structures inspection for SAR from Kaapmuiden to Phalaborwa, including the Olifants river bridge and the bit through the park it’s self.  
The second time with Pillionpup (Henrietta) as far as Hoedspruit.  
Third time with Dassie from Hazyview to Punda Maria, again crossing the Olifants River by means of the rail bridge and the bit through the park.  
This time I decided to avoid the section through the park and the rail bridge (Too much trouble with the animals, the bridge, trains and general security in that section.  

Day 0ne.  
Jim: Sean, Mike and I left Fourways around 08h00 (15 minutes behind schedule) due to meet Dassie at Belfast Wimpy.  

First lowlight; Sean gets rear tube tear near Middleburg.

Sean: After our morning departure through traffic we took the scenic route running parallel to the N4 towards Witbank. The clean crisp air and knowing that we were avoiding toll fees kept us happy chappies. A pit stop to re-adjust stuff and onward.
Around Middelburg area the coal dust from the trucks was nasty. As I was following  Jim’s lead into the onramp to the N4, my scoots normally well behaved  rear end started getting very lively, trying overtake the front. I managed to get things under control and pull off onto the grassy area. The tube had a long split and was totally useless. Put the spare in and we were off again – lost about an hour.

JIMBO PLEASED THAT HE DIDN'T HAVE TO CHANGE A TYRE

GOOD SAMARITAN MARTIN ON HIS VERY JWOOSH BMW -wasn't about to get his hands dirty though - phones roadside assistance if he needs...

Jim: I phoned Dassie to explain the delay, and find he has put on a near new second hand rear D606 which had an existing tear, and he was forced to heavily sleeve it at Lydenburg.  Dassie would be delayed even longer.  
At Belfast I instructed Dassie to rather meet us at Barberton.  At Belfast it was nice to be greeted by WHEELMAN who was on his way to catch some trout.  How was the catch Wheelman??

Sean: Wheelman was pretty green when he saw us, and I knew that if one of us had offered to swop with him he would have jumped at the chance.   Grin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:34:40 am by Stevie » Logged

DR 350SE "Gruffy -the Ogre slayer"
WR 200 under TLC, YZ 125 under TLC, Blaster 200 - purple one,

XTZ 125E - Sold, '74 DT 175 Enduro - swopped for un-Loved YZ 125
 DR 350 Rides Wet Dogs & wild waters 2011 Midmar Mile 2011 Hardcore Volcano Run May 2012 -  Full Moon Kruger Fence Ride Jimbo's 2012 Hardcore Volcano Run
africanSky

Bike: KTM 690 Enduro

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:52:24 pm »

subscibed
CHorse

Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 02:01:41 pm »

Also following this with interest....wish I could have taken the time off  icon_thumleft
ThinkMike
2-wheel Addiction

Bike: BMW R1200GS

Banned! Not now honey, I'm Riding

View Profile WWW
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:33:23 pm »

Also following this with interest....wish I could have taken the time off  icon_thumleft

Having not ridden the Kruger area before I had pictured / imagined a certain type of ride ....... and WOW was I wrong (PLESANTLY SO)!  Absolutely thrilling mix of riding, scenery, good company and some adventure thrown in.

And as I have come to learn, a ride with Jimbo and friends is gonna be a good ride!

Stevie, Jimbo, Dassie - TX it was a cool cool ride!!!

TM.... icon_thumleft

Sorry Babe I am still riding.
ThinkMike
2-wheel Addiction

View Profile WWW
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »

Not to worry - this tar stuff on day one isn't going to last long. Jimbo throws is a lekker little numb-bum breaker to get us started. I am sure Stevie will get on to that soon.

Stevie smiling now  - could have been a bugga - one of those perfectly timed instant flats on the corner - he did great to keep it from drifting wide into those poles in the background!

* 100_6171 [800x600].JPG (230.34 KB, 800x600 - viewed 942 times.)

dassie

Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650

live life extremely

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:13:30 pm »

Was a lekker ride indeed, thanks to all who made it happen and participated.

From my side it was also a problematic start. Got away late to rendevouz with Jimbo, Mike and Stevie in Belfast. Got a punchure in Lydenburg on the back tyre.

Turns out the D606 knobly on the back had a long tear inside, and it stuffed up the tube. the high speeds on the tar (I was late man, what can i say  ImaPoser) didnt help much.
In Lydenburg there seems to be a Suzuki dealer and a Honda dealer. None of them could help me with a new back tyre, so what to do?  eek7

Ok so ''n boer maak n plan'', off we trap to the local coop, buy the longest gaiter they have, and put it all together.

So it was about a two hour delay for me, and we decided via telephone coms that i was going to rendevouz at our first overnight stop in Barberton. Took a very quiet, slow drive through Longtompass towards Barberton.
Got there earlyish and relaxed and waited for the other hooligans.

uhhh yes doctor, i know im adicted.....
DJ

Bike: Suzuki DR650

Member of the SSS

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:33:56 pm »

Sub happy1

Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

ThinkMike
2-wheel Addiction

View Profile WWW
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 04:02:28 pm »

Hey Stevie, you had another puncture on the way to your PC, or is work interfering with the RR?

Come now... priorities!!! deal

Brandt

Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 04:02:59 pm »

Sub
Briggsy

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 04:04:33 pm »

Sub  Ricky
HB 9

Bike: BMW R1100GS

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 04:29:11 pm »

You have my attention!  icon_thumleft

Tread lightly
chopperpilot
Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!

Bike: KTM 990 Adventure

"Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:49:36 pm »

Subscribed icon_thumleft

Financier and Mechanic of "Stofboxi's" Suzuki DR 200 SE
Stevie

SSS

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 11:28:12 pm »

Apologies lads, been flattened by a bout of "some-sort-of-gytis" - will submit next instalment tomorrow... 

DR 350 Rides Wet Dogs & wild waters 2011 Midmar Mile 2011 Hardcore Volcano Run May 2012 -  Full Moon Kruger Fence Ride Jimbo's 2012 Hardcore Volcano Run
dassie

Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650

live life extremely

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 09:51:13 am »

hope you get well soon Stevie. Maybe its all the dust we ate from riding behind Jimbo that caused it  ImaPoser

Well here is something that will warm the appetite.... For those who don't understand......Just ask Thinkmike  mwink

* IMG-20120505-01373.jpg (118.68 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1118 times.)

uhhh yes doctor, i know im adicted.....
letsgofishing
Forum Whore

Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400

Sedgefield, Garden Route

View Profile WWW
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 09:53:46 am »

Looking forward to this...... icon_thumleft

There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com
Stevie

SSS

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:15 am »

So after a good lunch at Belfast Wimpy...

Jim: First highlight; was a beautiful steep pass between Belfast and Badplaas – old tar, but well and truly grown over.

Sean: This pass was brilliant, rocky and very gnarly at the beginning and then transforming to old tar with grass growing out of all the cracks. Nice slow descent, I left the bike in 3rd and allowed the motor to do most of the braking. The views were fantastic – no picture can do justice.
About 2/3 of the way down we were met by an obstinately locked gate that could not be circumvented.

We considered twisting the locks off and wiring the gate shut. We also tried to remove the bolt from the gate’s bottom hinge but not having a 19 spanner also scuppered this plan.
Before leaving home and packing my tools it was a toss-up between packing water-pump pliers and fencing pliers. As Jim, Chris and I had been repelled by a similarly obstinate gate on the volcano run the fencing pliers went into the toolbox – scwheet.
We proceeded to undo the short fence sections on the left of the gate, which despite the steep incline was an easy route around the obstinate locked gate.

ALL THROUGH

...AND NOW TO REPAIR WHAT WAS UNDONE

AND WHILE I SLAVED IN THE SUN... MY COMPANIONS HIDE IN THE SHADE...

The section after the gate was heavily overgrown and most of the previous road surface had been lost to erosion. Due to the height of the grass all of the riding had to be done standing up with the ground surface totally invisible. About 2 km’s of this and we came to a nice dirt road and before long tar as well.

AND THE NICE DIRT ROAD TO BADPLAAS

Jim: Second highlight was the beautiful newish tarred road from Bulembi border post to Barberton – nice chance to scrape toes and wear out our side knobs.  At Barberton (sunset), as per arrangement, Dassie was there, and braai stuff and beer waiting in the fridge.

Sean: What Jim neglects to mention is the very tricky, loose rock, hairpin bend cattle strewn goat track to get to the tar section.
Allow me to mention and categorically take back everything that I have had to say about big bikes not being able to keep up with the smaller bikes in offroad terrain.
Mike is a monster on his 1200GS.
On those twisty dusty turns he was having a jol hanging onto Jim’s rear tyre. My sense of self preservation and keeping a sensible dust gap saw the two bullets having to wait for me at all of the junctions. At the start of the tar section I raced off after Jim through the twisty’s. Before long the GS’s twin headlights were in my mirrors and I had to wave Mike through. To add to my new found respect for this very good rider was the fact that he was riding the pass one-handed while taking pics and videos of Jim and I hanging on to all the corners. Added to this he went through all the gears on his backwheel!!!
I also got quite a start while daydreaming along a tar section and he came past with that LHS exhaust growling like a temperamental boerboel – unruly, rude bloody GS riders.

Wheelman

Bike: AJS (all models)

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 10:18:17 am »

"At Belfast it was nice to be greeted by WHEELMAN who was on his way to catch some trout.  How was the catch Wheelman??

Sean: Wheelman was pretty green when he saw us, and I knew that if one of us had offered to swop with him he would have jumped at the chance.   Grin...

Glad to have met you guys icon_thumleft yup the fish were good and the wine excellent.... icon_biggrin but a poor substitute for a real adventure ride.... Thanks for the RR. Catch up some time in the future icon_thumleft

A road to a friend’s house is never long!

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
APO

Bike: Yamaha XT660

View Profile
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 11:02:41 am »

Nice guys, looks like a great trip. Looks like Jimbo was expecting another tough trip - whats this I spy?

* Whats this.jpg (206.99 KB, 807x664 - viewed 716 times.)
ThinkMike
2-wheel Addiction

View Profile WWW
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 11:03:54 am »

Stevie, good to hear U are up and about again!

This old pass was really cool. Would love to know the history, obviously hasn’t been used for 10’s of years.  After the gate section we were riding blind in places where the track just vanished into veld grass.

Jim took us on a route that followed the Swaziland border for a bit. Here we stopped at a river and he pointed out the amazing vast area of Bike riding land to the East of us.

Jimbo and Stevie having fun around the twisties on the pass down to Barbeton. Sorry Kak quality but you'll get the idea.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NUW57lPWjjQ?fs=1&amp;amp" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/NUW57lPWjjQ?fs=1&amp;amp</a>   

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UqiQhhGwlYs?fs=1&amp;amp" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UqiQhhGwlYs?fs=1&amp;amp</a>   

ThinkMike
2-wheel Addiction

View Profile WWW
Re: JIMBO'S FULL MOON KRUGER PARK FENCE RIDE « Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 11:06:40 am »

Nice guys, looks like a great trip. Looks like Jimbo was expecting another tough trip - whats this I spy?

I beleive that's his version of Fencing Pliers!! Also I learnt quickly that the Kruger fence ride doesnt always mean that the animals are on the otherside of the fence.

Turns out, I was the only one not packing!!! WTF - what were we in for???
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:08:02 am by ThinkMike » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length