Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ400 valve cover oil leak: What should be done?  (Read 289 times)

Offline slicknick

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • When in doubt, flat out!!
DRZ400 valve cover oil leak: What should be done?
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:25:35 pm »
Bike is seeping oil at the side as indicated in the pic. What do you suggest I must do? Any advice will be appreciated
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:22:23 am by lecap »
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
Re: What should be done?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »
Hi, that looks like the seal between the tappet cover and the top is damaged. Take of the petrol tank, remove the spark plug (make sure nothing falls in the engine through the spark plug hole :o) Then remove the tappet cover and inspect the seal, replace the seal or use gasket sealer (not really recommended but if all else fails..) Fit everything back in reverse
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Dux

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:39:55 pm »
The halfmoon areas are one of the few areas that require a bit of sealant , I personally use Loctite 599 Ultra Grey , and use the sealer sparingly , very little is required .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:10:48 pm »
I had the same issue.

I bought a new gasket from suzuki. R200 or so.

Then put sealant on the half-moons as mentioned above.

Sorted  :thumleft:

Nice bike, btw  O0
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?