Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Exploring the new Explorer- Official launch report  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Exploring the new Explorer- Official launch report
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »
MJ awesome report dude thanks for taking thte time out to share. With writing off my Adventure several Triumph peeps were keen to get me to over to the UJ side. Gotta say I did think about it for a while, but with being a Wunderlich importer I am kinda tied in to the Beemer brand (and happily so!)

I will admit I dying to test ride one as soon as my injuries fix!

If you do get one to try, try getting one with an Arrow pipe....the sound alone sells this bike......absolutely wicked.... :thumleft:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2012, 06:39:11 pm »
Back from a quick 700km return jaunt to Clarens on the Explorer, must say....I LIKE.....will give a more detailed report asap. :ricky: :thumleft:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Raggety

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Riding with the King
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2012, 08:29:10 pm »
Back from a quick 700km return jaunt to Clarens on the Explorer, must say....I LIKE.....will give a more detailed report asap. :ricky: :thumleft:

Hi Kurt.

Just asked the question on other posts on another thread - Thought you had the Crosstourer.

Had the Explorer for  few km's  - could not go to far unfortunately - that Arrow goes so well with the Explorer.

when do you get the longterm Crosstourer?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:29:45 pm by Raggety »
Let us love people and use things, and not love things and use people.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2012, 07:05:38 pm »

Hi Kurt.

Just asked the question on other posts on another thread - Thought you had the Crosstourer.

Had the Explorer for  few km's  - could not go to far unfortunately - that Arrow goes so well with the Explorer.

when do you get the longterm Crosstourer?

I'll need to speak to Dudley, get his Cross Tourer for a few days.....

Offline Raggety

• Race Dog
  • Riding with the King
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2012, 08:37:51 pm »
From whom did you get the Explorer?

I hope to have a type of back to back  dirt trip  with  the 800 an dt 1200 Xc's in the not so distant future.  Actually will be good to have the Crosstourer and the Explorer on the same trip.

Hope the dealer can work it out.  In two midns - must I get the  Explorer or the 800.

Long trips  2 up the 1200 will be the better, but if the long trips is not so often , then wonder if the 800 Xc will do the trick two up long trips -  the price difference R50,000-00 ( Can get an 800  for about R95000-00 ; little km's. 

But just love the sound of the

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2012, 09:33:42 pm »
Long distance ADVENTURE riding- Yamaha. Clever and wise oke this Metaljockey.

Offline Raggety

• Race Dog
  • Riding with the King
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2012, 10:02:40 pm »
Unfortunately just had a short 15 min ride on the S10. Would like  to have it for longer.

But Ioved the ride on the Explorer
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:46:26 pm by Raggety »

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2012, 11:15:31 pm »
Long distance ADVENTURE riding- Yamaha. Clever and wise oke this Metaljockey.

Is true, but not without issues. We met up with a guy in Addis who did Europe down the West coast of Africa and up the East Coast. He did ship from Ghana or somewhere to Cape town due to Angola. He told us he had shit with the clutch, had to be replaced, brakes, front shocks, and frame cracked at a point.
Bike was a sponsor from Yamaha dealer in Europe but he said they made it very clear to him this was not what the bike was build for.

Not to take it away, maybe that is just that. All the new 1000cc bikes are for doing long distance on tar and then a quick Baviaans, Hell and Swartberg pass before steeking it up the West coast and dirt in Namibia and back to JHB.

650's are just not made for that.  And like you always say Dan 98% of Yamaha riders never take their S10's off tar.  :biggrin:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2012, 09:12:55 am »
With the Honda's weight, but also sweet motor and other perks - would have actually made sense to made it more of a lond distance comfy tourer - ie larger screen, better seat, all the other comforts --- even if it added another 10kgs to an already heavy bike?  At least it can claim to be the ultimate sport tourer with gravel capabilities in this class?  that way - if long distance 'd/s' touring was your main consideration - the Honda would be the obvious choice?

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2012, 09:29:16 am »
With the Honda's weight, but also sweet motor and other perks - would have actually made sense to made it more of a lond distance comfy tourer - ie larger screen, better seat, all the other comforts --- even if it added another 10kgs to an already heavy bike?  At least it can claim to be the ultimate sport tourer with gravel capabilities in this class?  that way - if long distance 'd/s' touring was your main consideration - the Honda would be the obvious choice?

Makes sense, they are moving away from dirt in any case. It seems going the route of the SUV's ie, X5, Fortuner and the likes. People want comfy tourers not necessarily good offroad bikes. Maybe the time is over for the RT's and other tourers we were used to.

This guy I menationed did very little dirt on his way around Africa. So for that purpose these bikes are excellent.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2012, 09:37:32 am »
Agreed :thumleft: = a dirt capable confy tourer will make more sense than a completely road bias RT?  Maybe this genre will replace the sport touring type of bikes?  Still a market for the huge road tourers like the HDs and Gold Wings though?

Think of it - comfy seat, big screen, electronic stuff, shaft, rider info, carrying capacity, lugguage systems ---- all adds up to long distance touring?

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2012, 10:50:59 am »
What is the turning circle on the this bike? The BM's small turning circle makes it a winner in traffic and daily use and technical terrain. The KtM is like an ox wagon. The Yamaha might be to long ago to remember?

Ducati solved theirs with the new Multistrada by going 17" in front.

The turning circle is fine, no issues.

I pick up quickly on a crap turning circle, the 640, 950 and Versys turn like there is a world of space available.

Offline maan

• Puppy
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 03:19:57 pm »
Excellent and honest write up.

I have owned a 1150GS and two 1200GS's and covered 120000km between the three.I have bought a Triumph 1200explorer (only 1200km on the clock)  so a few remarks.

1.Engin power: I'm sure compared to say a 1050 tripple road aimed motor it will feel weak but it will blow the GS out of the water in any gear at any revs with any load. Not to mention the beautiful sound of the three cylinder engine!

2.The tire pressure sensors seems not to be heat corrected as are the ones on the 1200GS which makes them give a true reading only on cold tires.

3.My passenger says the Triumph is much more comfortable,and she doesn't mind the optional heated passenger seat either...

4.The suspension:back suspension on Triumph much more progressive than GS (due to the swingarm linkage?),the fork-mmmm,too soon to say

5.Everything-gearbox,motor,throttle much smoother on Triumph

6.The out-of-the-crate Triumph Explorer for the R144500 price under-equipped ie no handguards,no heated crips,plastic flimsy bellypan,etc.Not the way to steal a share of the GS market Triumph SA

Bottom line-the Triumph is the better road bike (by a fair margin,which is my main application) but if I were to do a fair amount of off-roading I will stick with the GS

Saying that-the Triumph is growing on me as the miles add up.....

Offline KALLY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Old farts never die, they just fade away
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2012, 08:59:45 am »
I think you should send your report to the local magazines,
So they can see how one should be written.
Thanks for a really top class assessment
My biggest worry in life, is that if I die before my Wife, she will sell my biking gear based on the prices that I told her I had paid for them.

Offline NeilV

• Race Dog
    • My Flickr account
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2012, 09:03:01 am »
I just dropped off my Tiger 800 for its 20000km service and there are about 5 Explorer's standing on the showroom floor at Mike Hopkins.  :drif:  :drif:  :drif:
Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.

Offline Mean469

• Pack Dog
  • Those who can...DO !
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2012, 10:49:34 am »
Great report MJ
I was lucky enough to attend the Explorer world launch in Spain !
the bike is all that you say, however i would dissagree on the weight factor..I am an old GS boy and the Explorer defin feels lighter and more flickable on the road and the dirt than any GS ive ridden in the same terrian!!
But hey different strokes i guess ....

Offline Raggety

• Race Dog
  • Riding with the King
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2012, 05:58:19 pm »
Spoke to adealer this week. He had the Explorer over the weekend.  Did a lot gravel roads abd some even more rocky. He even had to do some river beds. His remarks he thorougghly enjoyed it and the bike performed, handled better than he expected. I did a 100 km tar  with a pillion and now I  have a problem. If I had a bank manager tehn we would have not onspeaking term. I am aWings manbut the Limey bike are pulling me away to support the English.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:40 pm »
So  on Sunday I had a test on the S10 and wanted one, yesterday a test on the BMW and did not want one. Then today I decided on my way to Yamaha to stop at Mean machine just to have a look.....Mean469' offered me a test ride on the demo model......I bought one!! Mean469' you are a  >:D .....................  :imaposer: Now she will be delivered next week while I am in Kenya :patch: .......a loooong 2 month wait :D

Offline Mean469

• Pack Dog
  • Those who can...DO !
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:58 pm »
its but only a pleasure !!!
trying to kill the waiting period for you !!! :drif:

Offline Mean469

• Pack Dog
  • Those who can...DO !
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2012, 04:06:44 pm »
From whom did you get the Explorer?

I hope to have a type of back to back  dirt trip  with  the 800 an dt 1200 Xc's in the not so distant future.  Actually will be good to have the Crosstourer and the Explorer on the same trip.

Hope the dealer can work it out.  In two midns - must I get the  Explorer or the 800.

Long trips  2 up the 1200 will be the better, but if the long trips is not so often , then wonder if the 800 Xc will do the trick two up long trips -  the price difference R50,000-00 ( Can get an 800  for about R95000-00 ; little km's. 

But just love the sound of the

Hey Raggity, time to trade the DL !!!