Border crossing horror stories and corrupt foreign cops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Been thinking about this for a while. We hear all sorts of stories of bikers being fleeced by customs/police/scamsters at border crossings throughout Africa, especially the borders us Soft Efricans pass through more regularly. Maybe if we have somewhere to put all these stories we could one day have enough to forward to our foreign affairs  people (as if they give a toss) to get them to take note and raise these issues with their respective counter-parts. We live in hope anyway.
Another extreme irritant is dealing with cops, traffic or otherwise, in these same lands, where first priority is to shake out your pockets. Now I know there are some that say paying a bribe is just easier, and I have to admit where I stay it most assuredly is, but that doesn't help change the situation. Those of you who have travelled to some parts of South-East Asia will know about the tourist cops who are there to see you don't get into crap and ease your way through the pleasant task of blowing your bucks at the multitude of gogo bars etc.
With enough push maybe we, as a biking community can make a small attitude adjustment across the borders.

And all this inspired by Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant", the last few verses!!  O0

Don't mind hearing about the good experiences too, might just inspire co-workers to follow suit. :)