Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2T - a sincere apology  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Michiel

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
2T - a sincere apology
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:11:22 pm »
Before the pie in my face gets any tackier I need to issue a big and sincere apology to all those 2-stroke riders
out there that might have been offended by my clearly uninformed criticism. I remember saying I will never want
to ride such a noise making machine. True, I still don't like the sound it makes. Where I did speak right out of my
arse is when I said it had no lugging ability and only produced enough power at high reffs making it hard to control
off road.

Since then a miracle happened. I woke up one day wanting a 2T. Thanks to some helpful WD's I am now the proud
owner of a remarkable little toy. A 2006 Kawasaki KDX 200.  >:D  I might never tap the full potencial of this little
eye catcher, due maybe to a slight limp wrist  ::), but for as far as I dare he makes my juices flow!  :ricky:

In time I will post here more and better videos of my love affair with No 8. Eventually he will live on the family farm
making the occasional visit to Lesotho. One day we dream of taking on the Roof. If only the bronce route.

The video today is just to illustrate how a KDX can actually lug it's way up a rocky quarry face without stalling or running
out of power. At no point in the climb did I use excessive throttle and sometimes I even start out with low reffs and wind
him up as I get on. I think this can be called torque...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gg-gqE8ULyE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Gg-gqE8ULyE</a>
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 05:21:41 pm by Michiel »

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: 2T - a sincere apology
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 05:17:35 pm »
Jy het dit beter gedoen met jou DR 500. :peepwall:

Geluk hoop sy sal jou baie plesier bring :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline GJ

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:19:19 pm »
Mooi Michiel, jou oŽ het uiteindelik oopgegaan! Jy moes lankal vir 2Stroke Dan geluister het. (Weet hy hoe hard daardie klippe is as jy met daai helmet op hulle val?)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »
Ai, hoor nou weer vir Chris, so n Saterdagmiddag kwaadstoker :eek7: :imaposer:
Michiel, ek is bly jy het die stap geneem, die KDX kan nooit jou HPN se plek oorneem nie, maar die klein 2slag kan vir jou n nuwe wereld oopmaak. Die moeitelose skuif van n lewe van 4strokes na die KDX het my weer gewys watter goeie ryer jy is. Die 2slag is nie elkeen se koppie tee nie.
Ek se nog; die KDX is 2 fietse in een, onder powerband is hy n CRF230, in die powerband n YZ250F.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 06:23:05 pm »
Paar 2 strokes in my lewe gehad maar het nooit regtig met hulle ge-gel nie. Exhilirating goed maar jy moet hom heeltyd "on the boil" kan ry. Natuurlik was my vrou se KDX destyds  vinniger as my 500 prolink gewees :eek7:
Ek is maar n 4T ou  :mwink:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 06:47:44 pm »
Nothing quite like a really light bike with a bit of oomph, is there, Michiel?  Congrats and enjoy!

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:57:20 am »
Michiel, the KDX will respond beautifully every time, despite your slightly limp wrist

Offline See Duiwel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Passop voor!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:23:31 am »
Daarsy hy nou Michiel. Dink jy het nou die regte bike om in die winter saam te gaan as ons daai RTH gaan kafdraf.  Gebruik net asb sintetiese olie want ek raak seesiek van daai rook! :thumleft:
Mooi dag, seker vrekkoud daar by julle?
A car window is just a TV screen

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 09:22:24 am »
Congrats on your KDX - it looks like you found a real stunning example !

Listen to what See Duiwel says about synthetic oil - buy the best synthetic 2 stroke oil you can get your hands on and mix with petrol at 40:1

Never ever skimp on the oil or get lazy and put lawnmower oil or some cheap mineral oil in.

Why ?

The correct "burn temperature" in a performance 2 stroke is critical - too hot and you got problems - too cold and you got problems

Synthetic oils are blended in a lab which ensures they get the spec 100% correct every time - mineral oils are refined from fossil fuels and the spec can vary widely - one bottle of shit oil and your KDX will vrek

Others here will probably disagree with me but I always say "oil is cheap, motors are expensive".

If you use the best 2T oil and clean that air filter regularly you should never have to open that motor - I raced with okes on 10 year old KDX's that had never been opened !   
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 10:36:31 am »
Michiel, you sure are gonna have a whole lot of fun & enjoyment on that bike for years to come. :thumleft: :thumleft:
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Smittie Weskus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Cool Bananas!!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »
Niks klink so mooi soos 'n 2stroke in sy powerband!!
Ek gebruik yamalube in my suzuki 30:1, het daai les van cheap olie lank terug geleer! :biggrin:
As ek sien hoe 'cheap' maintenace gewys ek weg kom tenoor die 4strokes, koop ek weer 'n 2stroke. :thumleft:

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:17:58 pm »
Congrats on your KDX - it looks like you found a real stunning example !

Listen to what See Duiwel says about synthetic oil - buy the best synthetic 2 stroke oil you can get your hands on and mix with petrol at 40:1

Never ever skimp on the oil or get lazy and put lawnmower oil or some cheap mineral oil in.

Why ?

The correct "burn temperature" in a performance 2 stroke is critical - too hot and you got problems - too cold and you got problems

Synthetic oils are blended in a lab which ensures they get the spec 100% correct every time - mineral oils are refined from fossil fuels and the spec can vary widely - one bottle of shit oil and your KDX will vrek

Others here will probably disagree with me but I always say "oil is cheap, motors are expensive".

If you use the best 2T oil and clean that air filter regularly you should never have to open that motor - I raced with okes on 10 year old KDX's that had never been opened !   

True story! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline oo7

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 07:18:47 pm »
Lekker Michiel! Enjoy.

Nou verstaan ek hoekom hulle se dis `n 2 SMOKE - rook hulle almal so?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 07:33:12 pm »
If you look at footage of the 125, 250 and 500cc 2stroke racebikes of post 90's, you will notice that they smoke almost less than the 4strokes. This is because they get nailed and at their performance levels they burn off the intended lube oil very efficiently. With "leisure" strokers, we have to put in a mixture of say 40-1, for flat-out revs, but at playspeed and low to middle revs there is need for a lot less oil, and oil accumulation in the crankcase is a problem, but only for the guy behind you :mwink: Street 2stroke bikes have accurate metering devices that delivers just the right amount of oil on demand, IOW 40-1 wide open throttle at high revs, and say 100-1 in town while dawdling.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 07:36:55 pm »
Enjoy the ride  :thumleft:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline GO GIRL

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 07:40:34 pm »
Wow Michiel .....Congrats enjoy the added fun and value....     :thumleft: one day I will get there too!!

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 10:06:28 pm »
Hey, wie hou jou kamera vas.. hy laat 'n afdraende soos 'n opdraende lyk..  ;)

Mooi kdx wat jy daar het.

PS he is using synthetic oil.

I was told to run a 40:1 mix. 250ml on 10liter.

Using synthetic oil from Bel Ray.

Some say 40:1 and some say 50:1.... What should it be???

Offline oo7

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 07:40:44 am »
If you look at footage of the 125, 250 and 500cc 2stroke racebikes of post 90's, you will notice that they smoke almost less than the 4strokes. This is because they get nailed and at their performance levels they burn off the intended lube oil very efficiently. With "leisure" strokers, we have to put in a mixture of say 40-1, for flat-out revs, but at playspeed and low to middle revs there is need for a lot less oil, and oil accumulation in the crankcase is a problem, but only for the guy behind you :mwink: Street 2stroke bikes have accurate metering devices that delivers just the right amount of oil on demand, IOW 40-1 wide open throttle at high revs, and say 100-1 in town while dawdling.

Well there you have it from the 2 smoke man himself!

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 07:51:31 am »

Well there you have it from the 2 smoke man himself!

Lees en presteer.  :biggrin:  :thumleft:

So a 50:1 should be fine for slow/technical riding but 40:1 if you are going to open that throttle.

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:05 pm »
Michiel, begin nou al oefen vir die ROOF :)