Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kawasaki KLR650 Timeline - 20 years of History!  (Read 1644 times)

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: Kawasaki KLR650 Timelime - 20+ years of History!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 02:06:15 pm »
Jabu, we don't hate we'll just replace your doohickey  ::)

H

bobnob

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »
Don't want to dwell on this too much, but I also think that the 650GS (Dakar or regular) needs an upgrade / redesign / retirement...

Yes its capable and yes its an awesome bike, but too many other 650's have advanced so much around it while all the 650 got was a facelift...

let me get this straight....

its okay for the klr to stay the same for 21 years but the F650 has to be retired cause it does not keep up with the other 650's  ???

mmmm care to explain? ;)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 02:30:38 pm »
Don't want to dwell on this too much, but I also think that the 650GS (Dakar or regular) needs an upgrade / redesign / retirement...

Yes its capable and yes its an awesome bike, but too many other 650's have advanced so much around it while all the 650 got was a facelift...

let me get this straight....

its okay for the klr to stay the same for 21 years but the F650 has to be retired cause it does not keep up with the other 650's  ???

mmmm care to explain? ;)

KLR has not kept up on technology, but the price has also stayed behind.

The Dakar's price has definitely kept up with the times, but the technology (imo) hasn't.
What does the Dakar cost new now ? R75000 ? A Transalp ? Kwak Versys ? Veestrom ?

The point I want to make is that if you stay towards the top of the price bracket, you need to stay towards the top of technology as well.

The thing with the KLR is that no one minds that it stays the same as it isn't claiming to be 'the latest and greatest' and at that price difference there's a lot that I'm willing to overlook on the KLR...

Hope I'm making sense.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 04:11:57 pm »
the KLR did not cost 40k 20 years back.

the F650 is overpriced. it's a BMW

although, the build quality between the BM and the kwak is noticeably different. So i guess you pay a little extra for the nice switchgear and digital clock (time) and modern cockpit. And.. all that plastic is really really expensive ;)

BMW SA has kept their Bike prices the same for a whole bunch of years, only recently did they up their prices.

my 70k smile is not worth more than your 40k smile... doesnt matter how much your dental surgery cost... or how lang ago your false tetth where put in.... ( i have to go to the dentist for a check-up.. thus my analogy)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 04:25:22 pm »
:D

I think the build quality on the BMW is better as well.
You don't need locktite for a beemer...

My criticism is towards the engine...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 04:31:30 pm »
BM sit with the same dilemma(a good one) that kwak has had/have.

they have a bulletproof engine. why change it for the sake of changing? For once, something lasts longer than 5 minutes, and is well worth the money. If BM changes the engine, it will have to be a v-twin, probably not a bad thing.. but for the torque lovers out there it will be seen as a step backwards instead of an improvement.

If bm (more than anybody) thought the rotax single is outdated.. they would not have brought out a whole new range of singles with the same "old" engine.

the F650 single is well on it's way (albeit a whole bounch of years behind) to becoming a legendary bike, purely for ride ability and reliability.

Long live the outdated thumper!!!!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007, 04:36:14 pm »
Now you come and put logic and facts in the way of a good argument...

:D :P

What you say makes sense.

I was eluding towards not having a twin engine.
But it does makes sense that it is bullet proof, so why change...

But the BeeEm is a little over priced.
W

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007, 04:38:51 pm »
Now you come and put logic and facts in the way of a good argument...
:D :P

What you say makes sense.

But it does makes sense that it is bullet proof, so why change...

But the BeeEm is a little over priced.
W

hah.. imagine that, me posting logic and facts....another first for the forum.

hahahah

i have learnt alot over the last year and a bit on the forum...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 04:40:17 pm by Grootseun »

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007, 04:43:54 pm »
:D

jabu69

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 04:54:34 pm »

Do you mean that you are not keen of V-Twins?
Why?

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2007, 04:58:13 pm »
Nope - I think that it should have a twin engine.
More refined imo.

A single is more *ahem* agricultural...

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 04:59:04 pm by Eisbein »

Offline lecap

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 12:05:23 am »
Talking about the KLR:

You can very well make it 24 years. Although the 600 and 650A were quite different in appearance they still do share a near identical engine with many identical components.
The DR 650 SE was a completely new bike introduced in 1996 and shares nothing with the earlier DR400 / 500 (related) DR 600 and DR650 RS / RSE (related /same engine)
The XT600 / Tenere had a similarily long production run as the KLR. Although there were quite some modification over the years. With some nice side branches like the SRX (one of my all time favourites) and TT.

The KL650 Tengai and KL650C shared the A models engine but were optically quite different with a frame mounted large fairing (Tengai) and a small steering mounted windshield on the C. Both Tengai and C had "real" front suspensions and brakes, different wheels, suspensions, frames and rear shocks.

The KLR is some kind of a piece of s**t as it comes from the factory with a number of serious issues. But it's cheap and there are fixes readily available for the issues and once everything is sorted they are hard to stop.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 07:52:00 am »
my 70k smile is not worth more than your 40k smile...

But my R40k smile is much bigger than yours....
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

jabu69

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 08:23:51 am »
nou het ek lekker gelag. Welldone jabu.

Ja bru,  Ek dink ek het vandag nuwe vriende gemaak!

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 08:47:33 am »
he thing with the KLR is that no one minds that it stays the same as it isn't claiming to be 'the latest and greatest' and at that price difference there's a lot that I'm willing to overlook on the KLR...

Hope I'm making sense.

Thats the point - well said

KLR is the 650 thats been the most around the world and on long D/S expeditions.  Few bikes come near it regarding RTW trips - thats a fact.  It been there and got the t-shirt, its proven its reliability and it fit most people's pockets.  Its not pretending to be anything, it is what it is - for 21 years, in my eyes a classic (again I ask, show me a d/s bike that travelled the world so much for 21 years in more or less the same disguise - nothing??  - I rest my case...)

H

bobnob

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 09:07:20 am »
he thing with the KLR is that no one minds that it stays the same as it isn't claiming to be 'the latest and greatest' and at that price difference there's a lot that I'm willing to overlook on the KLR...

Hope I'm making sense.

Thats the point - well said

KLR is the 650 thats been the most around the world and on long D/S expeditions.  Few bikes come near it regarding RTW trips - thats a fact.  It been there and got the t-shirt, its proven its reliability and it fit most people's pockets.  Its not pretending to be anything, it is what it is - for 21 years, in my eyes a classic (again I ask, show me a d/s bike that travelled the world so much for 21 years in more or less the same disguise - nothing??  - I rest my case...)

H

dont get me wrong i love the klr - old school is cool

but dont mix up the term best with popular

just cause something is popular (and popular in the sense that its cheap and within more people's grasp) does not make it the best

if bmw (or any of the major bike companies) tomorrow started selling a 650 ds bike for 35k do you think that kawasaki will sell one klr?

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 09:22:08 am »
Define best?

Since choosing a bike is a rather subjective process, popularity may be linked to best?  I thought price, reliability, capability were criterias for best?

After 'best' is defined, define purpose ie for what application - RTW trips, commuting, etc etc

If popularity is an indication of subjective choice ie 'best' in people's minds, then surely 'time in production' will indicate how long a bike is regarded as 'best'

Its OK to admit a cheap bike is a 'best' bike - discovery channel did it with the Honda CT? 90!  Don't be so embarrassed that you could have owned a 'best' d/s bike for less than half the price of your current 'modern' bike. 

H

bobnob

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 09:23:05 am »
Define best?

Since choosing a bike is a rather subjective process, popularity may be linked to best?  I thought price, reliability, capability were criterias for best?

After 'best' is defined, define purpose ie for what application - RTW trips, commuting, etc etc

If popularity is an indication of subjective choice ie 'best' in people's minds, then surely 'time in production' will indicate how long a bike is regarded as 'best'

Its OK to admit a cheap bike is a 'best' bike - discovery channel did it with the Honda CT? 90!  Don't be so embarrassed that you could have owned a 'best' d/s bike for less than half the price of your current 'modern' bike. 

H

whahahah

i got my threads mixed up - the klr timeline thread and jabu's best bike in the world threads got criss-crossed  ;D

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 09:46:50 am »
I have ridden MM's Sofkoei quite a bit now, and the only thing about it I like better than the KLR, is the brakes. It actually has brakes and I've locked the front wheel on tar a few times (being used to grabbing all you can to get a KLR to slow down).  KLR is lighter, 21" front wheel, lekker low-down torque and it looks like a "scrambler" should.

I love my Groenie.
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 09:53:07 am »
For your error you have to buy a KLR  ;D

I think Kawa made a mistake.  The KLR surely is a cash cow in their product range - I would have continued production of the old Kawa in parrallel to the new one untill it reaches a critical mass, only then discontinuing it.  The production process is paid for, so you can still pump them out for even cheaper?

I think a KLR can still add value in today's world for the guy thats not into the thinking and riding style that ask for the latest electronics, engin performance, suspension etc.  The person that reasons that best brakes, suspension, performance, styling is not necessary on a d/s bike (because of the nature of d/s riding - not high speed touring or off-road racing), will be happy with a KLR.

For those that don't - go and speak to your bank manager ;D

H