Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Crossed-up's TE610E  (Read 926 times)

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Crossed-up's TE610E
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:54:06 pm »
A couple of updates.

Firstly the sump plug.  Yes, it started it's life with a 10mm hex but it was butchered (to be fair the bronze it's made of is very soft) until it was an 11!  I bodged the thing out and brazed a great big nut onto it.  If anyone ever needs an 11mm Allen key, give me a shout.

I'm not one to post a detailed blow-by-blow restoration thread but there are a few things to share.

I didn't want to do much before I got the papers.  This turned out to be a bit of a mission and for a while I was scared that I'd been taken for a ride.  But all is well now and I'm in possession of the reg. certificate and the yellow form signed by the previous owner. 

In the meantime I started stripping the motor to see what its condition is like and where the noises were coming from.  I was pretty sure the camchain would be toast and I was right!  It was almost possible to take it off the top sprocket without loosening the sprocket from the camshaft.  Obviously there would be some collateral damage but I needed to get the flywheel off to see.  The puller is available for $40 plus, so I cast about for a cheaper alternative.  Eventually I had a friend at work turn me a nut to fit the 35 X 1.5mm thread on the flywheel and with a three-legged puller I managed to crack the flywheel loose.  It came off like a rifle shot.  I was sure I'd broken something, but all was well.  There was less damage caused by the camchain than I expected.  The sliders are good.  Only the reed valve took a hammering, and it's relatively cheap to replace.

I noticed there was no spring on the decompressor.  There is one shown in the catalogue.  There's a bit of wear on the end of the shaft.  I wonder if this is because it's not being held completely out of the way when the motor is running at very low revs?  I reckon I'd better buy the spring and figure out how it works when I get it.  Your advice here would be appreciated.  I come from a car background and decompressors are new to me.

I think I'll replace the camshaft bearings while everything's apart, as well as the seal on the waterpump shaft which looks pretty gummed up.

I have to buy all the gaskets because someone had glued the old ones with some amazingly strong grey goop which caused the gaskets to break despite my most careful efforts.  Scraping the surfaces clean is a bit of a mission.  In places this stuff is nearly as hard as the aluminium.

The bike pleases me in the attention to detail I find - in the quality and thought that went into it's making.  I very much look forward to riding it.

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
Re: Crossed-up's TE610E
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:26 pm »
:happy1:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:44:50 pm »
I would also replace the rocker bushes while you have it apart, they are cheap and apparently wears at the bottom.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »
Thanks for the tip,  I noticed a bit of wear on the shafts, too. 

I don't look forward to trying to measure a two thou' valve clearance.  Knowing me, it'll probably end up being slightly more.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:18:07 pm »
Thanks for the tip,  I noticed a bit of wear on the shafts, too. 

I don't look forward to trying to measure a two thou' valve clearance.  Knowing me, it'll probably end up being slightly more.
Yep it's a tight fit, worth removing all the radiators and pipe work to get better access. The exhausts are tricky, intakes not too bad. Just double check I seem to remember the pre 2006 models had bigger clearances according to the manual ?
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:20:29 am »
Have you looked at using the manual t/chain tensioner? Seems to be a preferred fix by some.  :eek7:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Dux

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:08:53 am »
Glad you came right with the puller , mine is only arriving next week .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:05:01 am »
Have you looked at using the manual t/chain tensioner? Seems to be a preferred fix by some.  :eek7:

This might be the way to go.  The tensioner spring is quite strong and might put the chain under strain from the get-go.
My tensioner doesn't have the notches to count, as in the newer models.  You just let it go and it shoves up against the chain. It cannot move backwards if the chain slaps around a bit. I wondered if this contributes to the unreasonably rapid wear on the chains in these bikes.   

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:40 am »

0.002"?  = 0.05mm.  Toolquip & Allied sell a set of cheap (R22?) feeleg guages: 0.02 to 0.10 in 0.01 steps then 0.1 to 0.5 in 0.05 steps so you can measure a gap to 0.01mm using just 2 feelers. 

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:33:51 am »

0.002"?  = 0.05mm.  Toolquip & Allied sell a set of cheap (R22?) feeleg guages: 0.02 to 0.10 in 0.01 steps then 0.1 to 0.5 in 0.05 steps so you can measure a gap to 0.01mm using just 2 feelers. 

might as well then use tin foil from the kitchen!  :eek7:  believe me ONE 0.05mm is thin and fiddly enough!  :3some:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:42:55 pm »
Welcome to another member of the most esteemed and exclusive group of riders on the forum  :thumleft:

When do we get to see the machine itself?

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:54 pm »
These were taaken before I bought it.  It won't look much different because I'm not planning any cosmetic changes unless I win the lottery.  But everything will work and the motor will be sound.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:13 pm »
Looks nice  :thumleft:

Just like TK's other bike.  He seems to like it a lot. 

Seat looks very comfortable!  And its a bit lower than the later models.

Have you tried to kick start it yet?  :biggrin:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 01:48:37 pm »
I did try but without success.  To be fair it was hard to start anyway before I started work on the motor.  But I doubt I'll manage even with the bike in perfect tune.  My days of leaping up onto the kickstarter are rapidly waning.  :'(